TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Feel free to get things in general off your chest here.
fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Post by fallenmikethebike » 30 Dec 2012, 10:30

clint wrote:I was first pointed in the direction of the TRF by a member of this forum. He also told me how to find the lanes on OS maps which I now have on my phone (orux maps). I have found heaven starting 10 miles from my doorstep since! For this alone I think the £45 to help the cause is well worth it. Even if I just go on the odd ride out with them :) The signs Derbyshire county council put up are confusing at best. For example, I saw signs saying they will confiscate my bike at junctions. There was no sign saying which way was legal I had to resort to a map and then smile at the sign. There was one that said "If you don't want to loose your bike don't ride it off road". It felt like they was trying to scare legal riders away totally and they could have been a lot clearer you were allowed along the route you was taking.
+1 Yes, more policy dictates from GL£AM in action.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 14 Mar 2013, 21:16

Yes Yes defo join the TRF, if you trail ride its worth being a member, even if you don`t go to any meetings (but do if you can do) your subscription will help the more active members do some good.

I have never attended a local TRF meeting, something I hope to change this year, but without the local TRF members I would not be out today.
and they are always there with help and advice, that's gotta be worth £40, some companies offer days out trail riding and its one day and usually £40 or more do the maths!! a year is very good value.

Alaska
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Alaska » 24 Mar 2016, 23:16

Ok a little controversial
The TrF is a good organisation but do they reach out to the younger rider?
I have found them to be a bit of a club and don't embrace younger thinking, maybe younger people don't get involved.
Ok protect the lanes and I subscribe, but let develop the sport, sponsor or invest in enduros tracks.

Just an opinion , no disrespect ment , keep up the good work TRF

Cheers Brian

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Mar 2016, 09:39

Alaska wrote:Ok a little controversial
The TrF is a good organisation but do they reach out to the younger rider?
I have found them to be a bit of a club and don't embrace younger thinking, maybe younger people don't get involved.
Ok protect the lanes and I subscribe, but let develop the sport, sponsor or invest in enduros tracks.

Just an opinion , no disrespect ment , keep up the good work TRF

Cheers Brian
:? There's a bit of a hint in their name about their core business.
There are a myriad of other organisations that run events of the like you flagged up.
You can do both, many clubs will apply a discounted rate to TRF members.
The TRF concentrate their efforts on the preservation of lanes because no one else is doing that work.
Well done for joining, chat to some of the older fogies when your next out, many of them will have competed in the past, Enduros, MX, Trials, whatever, some them now do long distance trips down to Morocco and the suchlike, so there's plenty of info out.
Mike

Mike

Alaska
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Alaska » 26 Mar 2016, 17:22

Lol "hint in the title" cheers Mike

Me is a TRF supporter, my concern is the future of our lanes. I don't see the TRF developing the business by encouraging younger people to get involved. I think the TRF needs to look at itself, and analyse who is going to take it long term. I and many of my friends have tried to get involved , but found it to be a little close shop, so we left and went our own way.
We now have an informal group of people who share knowledge on bikes, lanes, etc. We still keep to the lane rules but a more open minded approach, everyone has something to offer. This is working for this group who go out weekly , any anyone is invited.
P.s. Bike must be in good working order, that's the least is expected, not to spoil the day for others.

This is only my opinion, and might be completely wrong. The TRF has plenty money should we not purchase land to develop, spending thousands of pounds frighting a lost cause may not be the way forward, could be wrong again?

In 15 years time the TRF might not have the members and funding to fight for the lanes

Just my point of view

Cheers Brian

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Mar 2016, 10:44

Hi Brian, rolling in funds the TRF certainly is not. Their only income is from membership joining fees, circa 3000 persons per year.
It's a shame yourself and your colleagues were unable to open a dialogue with your local group, is there another one localish you could attend? You don't have to attend where you joined up. There are also some virtual groups you might wish to converse with.
If you have a look at their cost breakdown for the year you'll quickly appreciate the cost of going to litigation is astronomical.
GL£AM [ the arch enemy] have serious backing from some major landowners, though they always play the poverty card at every opportunity. They also have tame rights of way trained experts on board to fight their case, plus of course the resources of the Rambliars to throw behind their campaigns, and an inside track to many MPS and government departments as their proud to boast.
I reiterate, join some local sporting clubs for your competitive riding fix, though you'll find they don't do any rights of way work ;) so you might fall out with them over that :D .Seriously though, it's horses for courses, let the TRF get on with what they do best, the market will always find a way to satisfy a demand for something that has a financial gain attached to it.
I'm no longer a TRF member as of late I've not been riding, but I would join again in a heartbeat when the boots next get pulled on.
Mike

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 27 Mar 2016, 14:39

I'm a TRF member. I pay because I hope it help goes towards keeping some lanes open.

I find the TRF are not very good at welcoming new members or old members who aren't active in there groups, although this maybe just certain groups. I have kept my membership going, but out of 8 or 9 people I ride with, most didn't renew there membership. Its a shame, because it is a good organisation. I've noticed recently they look to be making moves to change the above problem, so lets hope they keep it up and entice some old members back.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Mar 2016, 15:04

It may be that at a branch level clubs need to appreciate that a welcoming face is required, a dedicated person with that as a specific role worked at our meetings.
Most of the officials turn up with a set agenda, then this gets thrown sideways by alternative items, scuppering their carefully planned spiel for that evening. Like every one else time is always precious, and there's always a lot to get through.
Perhaps this might be what your local group is missing, fancy getting involved? Volunteers are always welcomed.
Mike

Alaska
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Alaska » 27 Mar 2016, 17:17

Some good ideas chaps, let's hope they embrace change too many people disappointed, all can't be wrong.
3000 members x £50 = £150k/year times 10 years = 1.5 mil. Not sure how long they be operating but could add up to a small fortune. I might be from the north west , I certainly could make that money work for green lane, enduros riders.

Great points thanks for discussion

Cheers Brian