TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Feel free to get things in general off your chest here.
fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Jul 2010, 20:58

:D And me, and my ,mini me, youngest son, leaning on a rake,
in the East Meon Project, I'm actually hiding in the bushes,[camera shy :oops: ], That's been one our really great success stories of that area, where residents always give us a friendly wave.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 06 Mar 2011, 02:11

Been out yesterday to find a couple of lanes in the peak district now have TROs on them :shock:

Time to join the TRF i think to keep up with the latest events
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 Mar 2011, 09:31

back off road wrote:Been out yesterday to find a couple of lanes in the peak district now have TROs on them :shock:

Time to join the TRF i think to keep up with the latest events
Unfortunately,as the late great Spike Milligan used to say, "there's a lot of it about".
Yes, joining the TRF is a great start, even if you only want to ride confidently in other area's, but it's also very rewarding to get involved in the redressing of the public misconceptions, widely distributed by the Ramblying community :evil: :evil: .
Mike

almich
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by almich » 10 Jun 2011, 15:51

I can safely say that joining the TRF has been one of the best things I have done. Superb group of guys that find some of the best legal lanes, work hard to keep them open and respect other users. If you want to go off roading these are the guys to go with. On my first ride out with them I could not believe where we were riding (and it was legal!!) I would have never found half of the lanes they know.

Happy Days

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 07 Mar 2012, 17:34

do you think they would help sort out a bike hire? I might head back to the UK for a break this year -

I have an international license - ( or my Hong Kong one is valid it seems - )

unfortunately my local ( East midlands ) doesnt have an email contact.. ( might have to call him )

looked at some of the ride outs - look amazing actually!
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Mar 2012, 17:46

:( they wouldn't, but a trawl of the internet should throw up a few companies that hire out every thing you require for a dirty day out.
Mike

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by Eddie Evans » 07 Mar 2012, 19:41

fishtail wrote:do you think they would help sort out a bike hire? I might head back to the UK for a break this year -

I have an international license - ( or my Hong Kong one is valid it seems - )

unfortunately my local ( East midlands ) doesnt have an email contact.. ( might have to call him )

looked at some of the ride outs - look amazing actually!

Insurance is a big problem for private individuals with no uk address but here are a couple of companies who hire bikes and lead rides.

http://www.trailridinguk.com/

http://www.trailrides-wales.com/

Depending when you are likely to be coming over I may be able to take you on a ride but you would need to sort the insurance.

Here is a couple of vids of my last two weekends.

http://youtu.be/Phvosag4BA8

http://youtu.be/taWh9LRYfXo

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 08 Mar 2012, 04:10

Hi Eddie - yeah some cracking trails there!

thanks for the links!

some pretty good option - but not super cheap! ( i'm not far from the peak district at all )

actually at those prices I'm wondering if I could pick up a MK1 - get my bro to buy it.. and insure it..

he lives in Ashby - ( near castle donnington ) so I do sort of have a UK address I can "use"

I did fill in a MCN insurance quote form a few months ago - and looked like 150 quid for a year on a Hornet 600?''

not yet sure of the dates - I'm self emplyed so hard to predict - some time between may - september - ( ie not too bloody cold!!! :P )

cheers!
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 08 Mar 2012, 16:27

fishtail wrote: actually at those prices I'm wondering if I could pick up a MK1 - get my bro to buy it.. and insure it..

he lives in Ashby - ( near castle donnington ) so I do sort of have a UK address I can "use"
that would probably be the easiest (and cheapest) way of doing it - when I am back in the UK visiting I get insured on my Dads BMW R1200RT and that costs around £50 for a month (and half of that is an admin fee). The only thing that maybe a problem doing it this way is that you don't have a UK licence. Get you brother to call his insurance company and ask.
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 08 Mar 2012, 16:58

apparently if I send my license in ( HK license ) then I can transfer it to a UK one

altho I have to say I am a UK resident. - I can use either my Mums address or my Bro's - both are in Ashby as it happens...

( I am a UK citizen )

I might risk it if I was in the UK - at least have some evidence of being there- altho its supposed to take 3 weeks...

longest I spent in the UK in the last 18/19 years is probably 8 consecutive days ( been back 6 or 7 times I guess )

I sort of just want to support the TRF so when I do get back then I got somewhere to go! and hopefully they will help take legal action on behalf of gary greaves...

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 3

Post by longmoreuk » 20 Dec 2012, 12:55

i met these guys at motorcycle live and promised i would join.........but havent.

I did attempt to contact my local group in the black country which meets at Cannock but got no response so lost interest.

Maybe I will try again in the new year as i would love to know where a few places I can go on my bike are.

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by Eddie Evans » 20 Dec 2012, 15:18

It's worth persevering with trying to contact them I'm sure if you don't get a reply to an e mail then a phone call will get you through.
If all else fails turn up at their meeting.
Good luck.

Contact John Osland
E-mail john.oseland@blueyonder.co.uk
Phone 01902 656011
Group meeting location The Longford House, Watling Street
City Cannock
County
Post Code WS11 1SJ
Website
Info 1st Tuesday 9pm

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 3

Post by longmoreuk » 20 Dec 2012, 16:08

That all makes sense - i told myself to do it, just havent got round to it!

I have just forward my email to him again to ask about next meeting. The stuff TRF does appears ideal and is what i want to join in with but I am not paying £40 if no one local goes out every so often. I would be happy with 2 rides out a year for £40, dont want much at all but if there isnt anywhere round here or no 'trf's' local (as i havent got any friends into biking), i would be a lone laner and that doesnt appeal.

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by Eddie Evans » 21 Dec 2012, 09:58

I have no knowledge of your local group so cant really comment on how active they are but I will say what my experience has been.

The first meeting I went to was disappointing. I had gone there expecting to find out everything there was to know about trail riding. On reflection it was my expectation that was not realistic.
I was greeted by the chairman who spent some time talking to myself and another couple of newbies. He arranged a ride for us but I could not make it due to shift work.
Other than that I just talked to other trail riders in the room. Now I knew trail riding was for me so I continued to make the effort to go to the meetings eventually my shifts allowed me to get out on a couple of rides.
Slowly the room of strangers turned into a room of friends who I had ridden with. I realized there is no secret knowledge as it is all there on a modern OS map(not the case years ago) It is just the application of the knowledge that is so important. I also began to realize that if it was not for the work the TRF had been doing for decades there would not be any trail riding today.

By persevering at the start I have gained and continue to gain so much. Give it a go remember that everyone at the meeting will be trail riders and make sure that you pump them for the information you want. It is only the National Exec that are taught mind reading. ;)

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by clint » 29 Dec 2012, 23:23

I was first pointed in the direction of the TRF by a member of this forum. He also told me how to find the lanes on OS maps which I now have on my phone (orux maps). I have found heaven starting 10 miles from my doorstep since! For this alone I think the £45 to help the cause is well worth it. Even if I just go on the odd ride out with them :) The signs Derbyshire county council put up are confusing at best. For example, I saw signs saying they will confiscate my bike at junctions. There was no sign saying which way was legal I had to resort to a map and then smile at the sign. There was one that said "If you don't want to loose your bike don't ride it off road". It felt like they was trying to scare legal riders away totally and they could have been a lot clearer you were allowed along the route you was taking.