TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Feel free to get things in general off your chest here.
slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:
TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Post by slider » 01 Dec 2007, 12:16

If you do any trail riding/ greenlaning then the TRF is a group that is well worth joining imho. If it weren't for the TRF many lanes still open for us to use would have been lost long ago, so aswell as simply arranging rideouts (the good bit!) they put lots of work into keeping our hobby open to us.

The National TRF website is: http://www.trf.org.uk/.

You can locate your nearest group here: http://www.trf.org.uk/groups.php

there is also a private forum available to members,where you can discuss rights of way matters,organise rides and get info,etc

If you want to keep using the trails you really can't do better than joining the TRF. Its £40 a year for National membership and thats a small price to pay for the work they do on our behalf. This is a bit of info from the TRF home page to explain a bit about them.

The TRF is the National, voluntary and non-competitive body formed in 1970 by people who enjoyed exploring 'Green Roads' by motorcycle. Our aim is to conserve our heritage of Green Roads for everyone to enjoy. Trail riding is an 'active recreation'.

Trail Riding is unfairly misunderstood by many people and wrongly associated with illegal use of motorcycles in the countryside. These people simply won't take the time to find out what trail riding is. They are quick to complain about something they do not understand.

TRAIL RIDING IS LEGAL
TRAIL RIDING IS LEGITIMATE

The Trail Riders Fellowship is the only body representing trail riders that is recognised by Government and Local Authorities as being the Authoritative and Responsible face of Trail Riding.

Our policies revolve around Sustainable and responsible use of both surfaced and unsurfaced roads across England and Wales for recreational enjoyment - exactly as many other countryside user groups do. Our members do not ride on illegal routes E.g. Footpaths and Bridleways. Our members do not ride inconsiderately and do not wish to be involved in or cause confrontation with other countryside users.

The TRF Stands for preservation of the countryside and our members are involved in many preservation projects around the country including preservation of non-vehicular rights of way for the benefit of other user groups.

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 01 Dec 2007, 12:18

i've asked admin to make this topic a sticky,wich he has kindly agreed to.
no need to reply its just a bit of promotion for the trf and may be of some help to some of you :)
cheers
steve

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: TRF(trail riders fellowship)

Post by Gwyn » 01 Dec 2007, 12:47

[b]slider :[/b]
> If you do any trail riding/ greenlaning then the TRF is a group that is well
> worth joining imho. If it weren't for the TRF many lanes still open for us
> to use would have been lost long ago, so aswell as simply arranging rideouts
> (the good bit!) they put lots of work into keeping our hobby open to us.
>
>
>
> The National TRF website is: http://www.trf.org.uk/.
>
> You can locate your nearest group here: http://www.trf.org.uk/groups.php
>
> there is also a private forum available to members,where you can discuss rights
> of way matters,organise rides and get info,etc
>
> If you want to keep using the trails you really can't do better than joining
> the TRF. Its £40 a year for National membership and thats a small price to
> pay for the work they do on our behalf. This is a bit of info from the TRF
> home page to explain a bit about them.
>
> The TRF is the National, voluntary and non-competitive body formed in 1970
> by people who enjoyed exploring 'Green Roads' by motorcycle. Our aim is to
> conserve our heritage of Green Roads for everyone to enjoy. Trail riding is
> an 'active recreation'.
>
> Trail Riding is unfairly misunderstood by many people and wrongly associated
> with illegal use of motorcycles in the countryside. These people simply won't
> take the time to find out what trail riding is. They are quick to complain
> about something they do not understand.
>
> TRAIL RIDING IS LEGAL
> TRAIL RIDING IS LEGITIMATE
>
> The Trail Riders Fellowship is the only body representing trail riders that
> is recognised by Government and Local Authorities as being the Authoritative
> and Responsible face of Trail Riding.
>
> Our policies revolve around Sustainable and responsible use of both surfaced
> and unsurfaced roads across England and Wales for recreational enjoyment -
> exactly as many other countryside user groups do. Our members do not ride on
> illegal routes E.g. Footpaths and Bridleways. Our members do not ride inconsiderately
> and do not wish to be involved in or cause confrontation with other countryside
> users.
>
> The TRF Stands for preservation of the countryside and our members are involved
> in many preservation projects around the country including preservation of
> non-vehicular rights of way for the benefit of other user groups.

Well said Slider :D I myself have not been a member of the TRF, always meant to join, but never pulled my finger out and did it. A few years ago i used to go out riding with a TRF group from West Wales which has now unfortunatley ceased to exist :( My nearest TRF group now is Cardiff, and because of the distance to travel to meetings, never got around to joining :roll: But i think the way things are going now, the TRF need all the funding they can get, to keep up the fight to protect our lanes for the future. As a result, over the next week or so i will be joining the TRF, not to find lanes to put on a map, and i probably wont get around to attending any meetings, but i will do my little bit to help if i can in any way, and to provide a bit of funding to keep our lanes open.
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 01 Dec 2007, 13:27

well said that man!.i dont attend my local meetings either but as you say gwyn,its worth joining them for the work they carry out.

p.s the write up is from kingy,site admin for the tm forum and another of us trf newbies.i just copied and pasted it apart from the forum bit
steve
Last edited by slider on 02 Dec 2007, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

tomh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by tomh » 01 Dec 2007, 14:54

i have joined, looking forward to my first ride out with them before christmas

Fossil
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Fossil » 15 Apr 2008, 22:41

In the present political climate, it is imperative to join the TRF.
As individuals we will not be heard, but as a group we are in with a chance.
The TRF is a mine of information, and also provides legal backing should you be pulled whilst riding a legal lane.
Also, let's not forget we are all voters. With local elections coming up ask your candidates for their views on trailriding before giving them your vote.
If your not already a TRF member join now. They are the voice of reason.

Fossil
I used to be young and stupid..................................Now I'm old and mental

http://www.fossilsrus.co.uk

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 16 Apr 2008, 17:48

Gwyn there is probably a huge input you could have to the movement without attending meetings. Have you heard of the wayfarer project,its a site that you can register every legal lane on , the frequency of usage and who you also meet whilst out. photographic evidence of lanes you use could also prove that its been used by MPVs for a long time and show the condition of your usual route at different times of the year, and whether it has deteriorated over time.
Slider would probably know ,but i think their was some talk of building a photographic data base of lanes we have the right to use , which would be held by the TRF to future proof the meagre net work now left us.
Whilst i put Gwyns name at the head of this post its a good policy for any one who wants to do a bit to help ,its not an onerous task to take a few snaps that identify the lanes.
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 16 Apr 2008, 18:46

fallenmikethebike wrote:Gwyn there is probably a huge input you could have to the movement without attending meetings. Have you heard of the wayfarer project,its a site that you can register every legal lane on , the frequency of usage and who you also meet whilst out. photographic evidence of lanes you use could also prove that its been used by MPVs for a long time and show the condition of your usual route at different times of the year, and whether it has deteriorated over time.
Slider would probably know ,but i think their was some talk of building a photographic data base of lanes we have the right to use , which would be held by the TRF to future proof the meagre net work now left us.
Whilst i put Gwyns name at the head of this post its a good policy for any one who wants to do a bit to help ,its not an onerous task to take a few snaps that identify the lanes.
Hi Mike

I joined the TRF last January, and since then we have set about starting our own group in South Wales. It will either be West Wales TRF, or South West Wales TRF. We should be, finally, officially be up and running after the 20th of April :roll: I have been utilising Wayfinder for over a year now, and always submit user-evidence as everyone should do. Wayfarer i have not heard of :oops: but i will look into it. Most of our group are out every weekend, and most of us take cameras to take photographic evidence, and of course for the occasional mishap :lol:

Cheers
Gwyn. :)
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 16 Apr 2008, 19:05

Gwyn wrote:
fallenmikethebike wrote:Gwyn there is probably a huge input you could have to the movement without attending meetings. Have you heard of the wayfarer project,its a site that you can register every legal lane on , the frequency of usage and who you also meet whilst out. photographic evidence of lanes you use could also prove that its been used by MPVs for a long time and show the condition of your usual route at different times of the year, and whether it has deteriorated over time.
Hi Mike

I joined the TRF last January, and since then we have set about starting our own group in South Wales. It will either be West Wales TRF, or South West Wales TRF. We should be, finally, officially be up and running after the 20th of April :roll: I have been utilising Wayfinder for over a year now, and always submit user-evidence as everyone should do. Wayfarer i have not heard of :oops: but i will look into it. Most of our group are out every weekend, and most of us take cameras to take photographic evidence, and of course for the occasional mishap :lol:

Cheers
Gwyn. :)
Well done M8 , your obviously very active already then .All the best of luck with the formation of your new group and lets hope it can attract members with the same drive and commitment as yourself.
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 16 Apr 2008, 20:08

Thanks Mike 8)
At the moment it's all a bit stagnant waiting for the nod from the TRF exec. We've got a good few members already, and i've no doubt that when our group is official, there will be a lot more enthusiasm from all of us TRF members to recruit more for the cause. And i think/hope a lot more will want to join when they can see we are active and trying to get things done.
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 16 Apr 2008, 20:10

Good on yer :D

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 16 Apr 2008, 20:11

knackeredMk1 wrote:Good on yer :D
Cheers Knackered 8) :)
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

wheelright
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2

Post by wheelright » 05 Jul 2010, 03:43

Half of the lanes in Devon and Cornwall are open in part to vigorous work from the TRF, they do a very worthwhile job and are not a lot of serow riding pipe smokers as some imagine, . :D

delvey91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by delvey91 » 05 Jul 2010, 15:45

Yes The devon lanes are brilliant and the TRF do a brilliant job! :)
99 HONDA CRM250 AR MUGEN
KTM EXC 380 1998 SUPERMOTO 07 SPEC
KTM 525 EXC SUPERMOTO 05

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR

Post by Active Rascal » 05 Jul 2010, 19:06

If fellow TRF members check the latest issue of the Trail magazine.... have a look at the insurance ad on the back page. I am in the foto, as is the front mudguard of my purple AR, plus a full pic of my mates CRM.... famous!! :)