Cheshire ride out

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
Phil S
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Cheshire ride out

Post by Phil S » 14 Aug 2007, 09:56

Hiya,

My name is Phil and I would love to go green laning etc in my area. Are there any like minded locals who fancy putting together a route and going for a blast?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

mickstoy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mickstoy » 14 Aug 2007, 12:12

hiya phil
the peaks are your best bet i could be wrong but im not sure theres much near you going of previous posts a few of us are goin up there in a few weeks if you get your kit sorted your welcome to come along if not were up there quite regular so just let me or slider know, we usually start around buxton so its not far for ya
91 mk2

Phil S
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Phil S » 14 Aug 2007, 16:37

Blinding. Will let you know when I have my kit sorted. I appreciate the offer mate.

If you could give me some hints on what to get/avoid it would be great. I know road biking like the back of my hand but this is all new!

Cheers again.

Phil

mickstoy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mickstoy » 14 Aug 2007, 19:29

to be honest mate its up to you and your bank balance team filipe (ebay) are doin some pants jersey and gloves for £49 which is good or you can buy complete sets waterproof that go over your boots with matching waterproof jacket which dont cost much more but you sweat like f==k when its warm iv got pants and top with waterproof pant and top to put on if it rains £40 from d+k you can get o-neal element boots for about £55 iv got a pair there good enough just put a few more screws in the toe protectors cos they just get ripped off or just buy someones old mx gear off ebay and build from that
91 mk2

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 14 Aug 2007, 20:27

And Phil, dont forget elbow and knee pads, Just in case you crash :o :lol:

mickstoy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mickstoy » 14 Aug 2007, 20:53

[b]Gwyn :[/b]
> And Phil, dont forget elbow and knee pads, Just in case you crash :o :lol:
what do you mean just incase :lol: :lol:
i forgot about that phil you can buy all seperate armour chest/shoulder elbow or buy a complete kit on a mesh have a look on ebay you will know what i mean just type in motocross body armour if you buy new £200 should have you sorted for everything inc helmet n goggles or keep watchin ebay and see whwt you can find
good luck
91 mk2

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 14 Aug 2007, 21:46

Biggest tip I can give you, if you are used to 'on road' riding, is to stand up. Keep your legs slightly bent. Move your body forward if you're going up; back if you're going down or braking. Sit forward if you are cornering strongly.

Most of the 'on road' riders I have known have lesser or greater problems with this initially. You'll get the hang watching others along the way.

Remember there are no kerbs or myopic Volvo drivers :o

Have fun :D

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 15 Aug 2007, 07:37

just the odd myopic,volvo driving crm owner :lol: :lol:
phil if your keen on the peaks run next weekend and you can get hold of a lid,body armour and boots,you can use my spare shirt, trousers,gloves and goggles for the day.but i'm 6'4 and 17cough,cough odd stone so everythings a little on the xxxxxxxxxxxxxl side :lol:

Phil S
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Phil S » 15 Aug 2007, 14:27

I have a feeling that lot would be like an effin parachute on me!!!!

Can't make it this weekend anyway which gives me more time to go shopping for gear.

By the riding advice it seems like you need to keep the front planted and let the back just do it's thang. Makes sense in my head but lets see. Should be a bloody good laugh anyway.

Generally, what a great welcome lads. Thanks!

Phil S
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Phil S » 15 Aug 2007, 14:39

Hiya,

I just downloaded the wayfinder thing and it lists loads of routes in SJ (which I figured out is closest to me) but they are BOATs RUPPS and ORPAS (which sound like sea creatures).

What are they and how do I tell where they are from a grid ref which is all they give? Or am I approaching the site wrong? Perhaps there is somewhere you can put a town in or summat but I couldn't see it.

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 15 Aug 2007, 16:28

BOAT=by-way open to all traffic, the least confusing of the terms.your able to use these lanes in any vehicle
ORPA=other route with public access,some of these have vehicular rights, using the traffic light indication,next to the lane details tells you the status of the lane for cars+bikes.red=no go,yellow=iffy(check the user evidence in the lane details and dates),green=legal to use vehicles on.however wayfinder reqs feedback from its users on issues such as any tro's (traffic restriction orders)that may have been put into place,usally sign posted at the start/end of a lane(but dont take it as tro's are always signed cuz they aren't)if a tro is unreported to wayfinder it will still show the lane as green/legal to ride,safest bet is to contact the high ways authority to check the lanes status,i personally dont bother,i just keep an eye out for any new signage that has been erected(ignorance is bliss in my world,p.s this isn't a recomendation, before i get any harrassment from more legally pro-active green laners)
RUPP=road used as public path,i'm not totally sure but i think this has been over written by rb's(restricted by ways)
on the lane details screen there is a google map click on the link and it will show you the position of the lane.you need o.s maps of the area to record the lane details onto or a compooter program such as memory map to record the lane onto unless you know the area really well.
All the symbols for BOATS,ORPAS,RUPPS etc are shown on the map key of an o.s map
lane id=refers to the position of the start point of the lane eg SJ9767-7A the lane starts in the o.s grid square formed bythe axis lines 97&67 of the sj grid.the first 2 numbers are on the parallel axis the second 2 are on the vertical axis.the lane start point is always its furthest western point or your left as you look at an o.s map
if you know the o.s map reference for your home there is an option on wayfinder to view lanes with in a adjustable(by you)radius of where you live
of course all this means jacksh*t if you cant do map references :)
its probably easier to ride with more experienced people at first to get used to all the ins and outs
it sounds very complicated but after a few cracks at it ,it becomes second nature.the track explorer download is good from wayfinder again takes a little getting used to but it shows you lanes displayed on a undetailed map,you then click on the lanes and it connects straight to wayfinder to give you details of the lane you've chose.
hope this helps and doesn't make you run to the hills :lol: :lol:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 15 Aug 2007, 19:03

[b]slider :[/b]
> BOAT=by-way open to all traffic, the least confusing of the terms.your able
> to use these lanes in any vehicle
> ORPA=other route with public access,some of these have vehicular rights, using
> the traffic light indication,next to the lane details tells you the status
> of the lane for cars+bikes.red=no go,yellow=iffy(check the user evidence in
> the lane details and dates),green=legal to use vehicles on.however wayfinder
> reqs feedback from its users on issues such as any tro's (traffic restriction
> orders)that may have been put into place,usally sign posted at the start/end
> of a lane(but dont take it as tro's are always signed cuz they aren't)if a
> tro is unreported to wayfinder it will still show the lane as green/legal to
> ride,safest bet is to contact the high ways authority to check the lanes status,
> i personally dont bother,i just keep an eye out for any new signage that has
> been erected(ignorance is bliss in my world,p.s this isn't a recomendation,
> before i get any harrassment from more legally pro-active green laners)
> RUPP=road used as public path,i'm not totally sure but i think this has been
> over written by rb's(restricted by ways)
> on the lane details screen there is a google map click on the link and it will
> show you the position of the lane.you need o.s maps of the area to record the
> lane details onto or a compooter program such as memory map to record the lane
> onto unless you know the area really well.
> All the symbols for BOATS,ORPAS,RUPPS etc are shown on the map key of an o.
> s map
> lane id=refers to the position of the start point of the lane eg SJ9767-7A
> the lane starts in the o.s grid square formed bythe axis lines 97&67 of
> the sj grid.the first 2 numbers are on the parallel axis the second 2 are on
> the vertical axis.the lane start point is always its furthest western point
> or your left as you look at an o.s map
> if you know the o.s map reference for your home there is an option on wayfinder
> to view lanes with in a adjustable(by you)radius of where you live
> of course all this means jacksh*t if you cant do map references :)
> its probably easier to ride with more experienced people at first to get used
> to all the ins and outs
> it sounds very complicated but after a few cracks at it ,it becomes second
> nature.the track explorer download is good from wayfinder again takes a little
> getting used to but it shows you lanes displayed on a undetailed map,you then
> click on the lanes and it connects straight to wayfinder to give you details
> of the lane you've chose.
> hope this helps and doesn't make you "run to the hills" :lol: :lol:

Iron Maiden 8)

Well explained Slider :)
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 16 Aug 2007, 08:18

rock will live forever :twisted:

Phil S
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Phil S » 16 Aug 2007, 09:00

Fook!

One sentence from that lot went in. One. It's the one where i ride with more experienced riders to get the hang of it!

Oh, make that two. Rock will indeed live forever!

Phil

(I guess I need a tag name like you lot. Suppose the best thing to do is wait until we ride and you can name me based on the artistic interpretation and technical merit of my crashes!)

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 16 Aug 2007, 09:04

[b]Phil s
> (I guess I need a tag name like you lot. Suppose the best thing to do is wait
> until we ride and you can name me based on the artistic interpretation and
> technical merit of my crashes!)

funny thats how i got mine :lol: