rear wheel bearings

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
pen9jamie
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
rear wheel bearings

Post by pen9jamie » 04 Jan 2008, 22:13

hi,,had my m3 since october..and the bearings felt good...come november they were very tired....so replaced them plenty of grease...i got back today after a 2hr run and there is play in the back wheel,,,(only very slight),, i was told they like to eat bearings but is this the norm,,,600km,,,i do ride lots of quarrys but still seems harsh... :oops: :?: maybe just bad bearings :?:

petrolhead
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Re: rear wheel bearings

Post by petrolhead » 09 Jan 2008, 08:16

Sounds like bad bearings to me, did you get them from a bearing factor? they maybe the correct size but not for high speed use, also check you haven't missed any spacers out etc when you put the wheel back in.

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 01 Mar 2008, 06:35

Don't use your jet wash near the bearings, they will last much longer. I used to go thru' bearings like mad until a tip off some years ago.
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

andypugh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by andypugh » 03 Mar 2008, 15:16

pen9jamie wrote:hi,,had my m3 since october..and the bearings felt good...come november they were very tired....so replaced them plenty of grease
It is possible that you over-greased them (though admittedly unlikely). If you put too much grease in it overheats.

Personally I always use the -2RS variants of bearings, as they come with just the right amount of the right kind of lubricant already installed, and the extra oil seals can only help.