Not good for green laning in oxfordshire!

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
Mash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Not good for green laning in oxfordshire!

Post by Mash » 06 May 2009, 12:34

Well I thought I'd find somewhere to go ride with out the police getting called out and moving us on so today I went to the local library to have a look at the definitive map and statement of rights of way in oxfordshire spent a good 45 mins looking over all these maps and couldn't find 1 byway open to all trafic all trafic, hopefully I missed loads and some one can point some out to me I feel a bit gutted now I brought a bike to go off road and theres nowhere i can legally go with it.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Not good for green laning in oxfordshire!

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 May 2009, 16:20

Join the TRF - http://www.trf.org.uk/. They will take you around and let you copy maps.

There are lots of legal roads/byways that are not shown on maps.

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NaBz » 06 May 2009, 17:53

im from oxfordshire im sure there are some places near charlbury out that way anyway
also i track a few of my m8's made not sure if its still there just outside carterton
not sure if legal but there is some very nice places to ride..
some good tracks out near clanfeild and mister great track with a monster hill goes down about 2 houses high then the same up the other side very steap only done it once and wouldnt do it again :D
i usualy drive out into the country find a way into a feild and basicaly just get lost found some quality places throught streams, hills, gravel....
never been bothered by police
where bouts in oxfordshire u from ?

nick.
if you aint coming off you aint riding hard enough!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 May 2009, 18:51

knackeredMk1 wrote:Join the TRF - http://www.trf.org.uk/. They will take you around and let you copy maps.

There are lots of legal roads/byways that are not shown on maps.
Well said Steve, TRF will also know all the UCRs,, and white roads.
You could also do some Long Distance Trials, that are just like a big self guided Trail ride, with a few Trials sections thrown in to make it more interesting, you also get to use Forestry, and Private land normally off limits.
One of the best sites for finding out about this is,
http://www.eventdirectory.org.uk/

Drag along a load of mates and have a great laugh, and a great days riding.
You only need a Trials Licence £10 , ACU, to enter, + entry fee, £15/ £25.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 09 May 2009, 07:32

The TRF are the best organisation to talk to. I've had a look on my mumtimap of the Oxford area (I'm glad I don't live down south! Not much at all but there looks like there are a few UCR's (ORPAs) - routes with red dots.

Don't expect to just turn up at a TRF meeting and get a map marked up though, pay your joining fee and get along to a couple of meetings, they will be more than willing to take you out, that is the best way to learn where to go. You will also make some new mates as well, CRM'ers tend to stick together

Mash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Mash » 09 May 2009, 10:38

I'v heard about the TRF i'll have to look into joining, Apperently this definitive map and statement is ment to be the offical goverment copy of what's what and where's where, A guy came into work yesterday and said he's into enduro and knows about a couple of byway so i guess this map is a load of poo,

@ nabz I'm from bicester just north of the m40,

The only reason the police come down is because of noise complaints from near by house's there useally fine when they see you with helmets and body armor and know the bike's aint nicked,

found a place on tinterweb that aint to far away from me ( http://www.enduroland.co.uk ) that looks pretty good they got a bit of everything so might have to go have a look there.

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 11 May 2009, 11:41

[quote="Mash"]I'v heard about the TRF i'll have to look into joining, Apperently this definitive map and statement is ment to be the offical goverment copy of what's what and where's where, A guy came into work yesterday and said he's into enduro and knows about a couple of byway so i guess this map is a load of poo,

@ nabz I'm from bicester just north of the m40,

The only reason the police come down is because of noise complaints from near by house's there useally fine when they see you with helmets and body armor and know the bike's aint nicked,

found a place on tinterweb that aint to far away from me ( http://www.enduroland.co.uk ) that looks pretty good they got a bit of everything so might have to go have a look there.[/quote]

The definitive map is THE satement the council has to keep up to date and should be the thing police do you against if they nick you for illegal riding. However, most police do not know about it. You can get access to the map at the council headquarters and there may also be a section of it at smaller regional council offices. for instance, in Northumberland, the map is kept at morpeth but parts of it are at Hexham some 30 miles away.

Some councils also have a version on line but don't bank on it. Some map systems are really good, some are non existant so its just good luck if you live in an area where Rights of Way are taken seriously. Some councils also have the highways mapping on line where you can check out if the UCR's (ORPA's) are on the List of Streets (LOS). Being on the LOS makes them 99.99% road legal.

I'm rights of way officer for the Northumbria TRF, I'm not and expert but I know a fair amount, so if you need any more help, just ask

bozzy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bozzy » 12 May 2009, 19:40

Oxfordshire is not good. The county was hugely affected by NERC and this basically removed the local authorities legal duty to update their definitive maps. The result - the loss of many miles of RUPPS and dual status routes in the county. These were routes that were roads but the local authority failed to accurately record on their maps.

Anyway I am new to the forum and joined the TRF four years ago. In that time I have met some great people and have ridden over 4000miles all over the UK on unsurfaced routes.

Just bought an AR, but need to get some work done, fork seals and get front wheel sorted. Then I plan to post up a local run on it on this forum. Plan will be to start on Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border and I will lead around the Cotswolds, down towards Stroud. These are nice fairly easy going stone trails, with some more interesting stuff(steep and rocky) to the east of Cheltenham.

In terms of the TRF, it's a no brainer. It's the single best way to network with groups and get to know individuals in the country. That way you will form friendships like I have and be able to travel, meet up and ride some of the fantastic 1000's of miles that still exist(for the mo anyway!)

Bozz

frostoff
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRm250AR

Post by frostoff » 13 May 2009, 09:19

If you go to the main TRF website, you will be able to find where the local centre is for you and probably when they are planning rides. Our policy down here is we will happily take you out for the first run, but after that you would be expected to join up and get all the benefits that the TRF do offer.

Chris F
Secretary Cornwall TRF

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 13 May 2009, 18:16

frostoff wrote:If you go to the main TRF website, you will be able to find where the local centre is for you and probably when they are planning rides. Our policy down here is we will happily take you out for the first run, but after that you would be expected to join up and get all the benefits that the TRF do offer.

Chris F
Secretary Cornwall TRF
Hi Frostoff, I'm looking at sneaking the bike in the van when were down that way in June, is there much riding to had in the Mid /North Wadebridge/Bodmin Area?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!