VIKING WAY,MELTON MOWBRAY.

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
TGS1942
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
VIKING WAY,MELTON MOWBRAY.

Post by TGS1942 » 28 Nov 2009, 16:43

Hi, could anyone give me directions to get to viking way, i hear the place to start is near a water tower???? Never done it and to be fair not heard a lot about it, just fancy a localish change to the peaks.
Any info appreciated, cheers.

flash746
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: VIKING WAY,MELTON MOWBRAY.

Post by flash746 » 29 Nov 2009, 01:25

hello mate, if you go to melton then head out of town on the b676 and head to buckminster and thats where it starts at the water tower, its great at the min, went a few days back, its been graded recently and most the big ruts from 4x4s have gone. the lane runs all the way to foston on the a1 and further if you can find it through the village. its self evident where the lane goes but at one point you come to a road and have to turn left and its about half a mile on the right. not far from it so let us know when your planning on going and try and meet up, cheers

TGS1942
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by TGS1942 » 01 Dec 2009, 19:18

Hello Flash, thanks for your reply mate although i only read it after we got back from doing viking way on the sunday. One of my mates found the directions..Anyhow, we found the water tower after asking a couple of old boys in the village which way to go, they reluctantly showed us, and i mean reluctantly when they figured out there was bikes in the van!! We parked the van at the water tower and one of my mates parked in the village due to past problems with thieving scum in desolate areas like this. Anyway, we got our bikes out, we must have the oldest trail bikes....my 91 crm250, a 98 rmx250, 2000 klx300 and a 2001 drz400 and off we went. I've got to say within the first 5 mins i did'nt think much to it at all but we carried on, we went up past the airfield and a bit further until we got to a part that was closed off, we found our way through a little village then dropped back on to viking way again, picked up the pace a little and started to have a little more fun.(you say its been graded, i'd of loved to see the ruts before!!) We got to Foston and got lost...asked a not so friendly rambler if he knew how we got back on the trail to the reply "find it yourself on them bloody things" oh well there all the same, ramblers that is. We decided to go back to the water tower, and we got a pretty good pace going, i can honestly say that was one of our better days, well 4 hours laning without a doubt and by the time we was at the van we were all looking like one of our brown brothers! We'll definately be doing it again and trying to go further if possible, we'll let you know incase your up for it.

ffarquharson05
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ffarquharson05 » 02 Dec 2009, 19:14

If you are members of trf there are some of the lincolnshire trf lads that live in grantam . we go out regular around that area if you contact the group they will help , there is a good days riding there as john robinson will be writing in the trail mag this month .

garyd
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk3

Post by garyd » 21 Mar 2011, 22:28

i ride the area every weekend ill show legal,quiet riders the routes