New to offroad?

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
New to offroad?

Post by xander77 » 17 Feb 2010, 08:12

Well just got my CRM mk3 on the road, and I am looking for places to go, round the northwest, or north wales area? I am in Merseyside and I am looking for legal trails green lanes or tracks round this area? anyone have any info? or areas to go! desperate other wise I will give up and use the R1 on sundays!!!

Thanks

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: New to offroad?

Post by Eddie Evans » 17 Feb 2010, 09:45

Not sure where to start but here goes.
My advice is to join the TRF because it immediately puts you in contact with people who have an interest and are committed to trail riding.
Groups arrange trail rides. I'm not sure where you are on Merseyside so either North Wales, Lancashire or Manchester will be nearest to you.
http://www.trf.org.uk/groups/group-listing.html

Either way you are approx 40 miles from any main trail riding and will need a trailer or van to get to the meet points.
Yes you can ride there but your soft Knobblies will be trashed in no time, you will quickly freeze after a day sweating on the trails, often lights get damaged, ok to limp back in the group but no good for main roads on your own. With a van or trailer trail riding areas further away open up to you.

Other options are Wirral Off Road events, there is also an enduro park somewhere around Wigan.

xander77
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by xander77 » 17 Feb 2010, 10:07

Hi Eddie, thanks for that,
Might have gotten into this before looking around, I bought the CRM beacause of seat hieght and road legality, hoping to ride to green lanes etc, but if it turns out its a Van or Trailer, I may stick to my road bike! if I don`t find some thing like that I can ride to it will mean there will be a nice CRM Mk3 up in the for sale section soon!

I will join the TRF and see if that gets me anywhere to ride! got a great beach by us! but not so great plod!!!

Thanks
Jack

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by Eddie Evans » 17 Feb 2010, 12:01

The intention is not to put you off just an explanation of how it is.
I started with the intention of riding to trails, found the hour long ride to the start ok but the ride back at the end of the day a real chore and endurance test especially this time of year.
I soon got into it and sold my road bikes as they were not being used
To enjoy trail riding you need proper road legal knobblies and high speed tarmac will ruin these very quickly. A friend, getting into trail riding on a Mk1, travelled 90 miles to the meet point. He had lost half the knobblies by the time he got there, rode the days trails approx 110 miles and then the 90 miles home. He then bought a van ;)

Great to hear that you are going to join the TRF