Chaplegate letters please in the next 3 weeks

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc
Chaplegate letters please in the next 3 weeks

Post by back off road » 07 Feb 2012, 23:53

As many of you will doubtless already be aware Chapel Gate Byway in the heart of the Peak District is currently closed to all motor vehicle traffic by virtue of a Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO).

Quite what this experiment is supposed to be testing has been the subject of much speculation and to this day remains rather hard to determine. What is not in doubt however is the threat that this "experiment" poses to out future access. Not just to Chapel Gate of course but to the whole Peak Park area.

I believe that this order, if made permanent would be the thin edge of a very large wedge.

The future of our access in the Peak District is important for a lot of reasons, not least because this national park boast some of the best and most accessible green lanes in the country but it's more than just that. If this blanket closure goes ahead in it's current form then it will be a major victory for those organisations and individuals who seek nothing less than to destroy all legal recreational vehicle access in this country.

They may be starting with the national parks but unless we act decisively they will not stop until all of our activities are illegal in every county in this country.

Exageration? You decide for yourself but I don't think so. Access to our national parks is a national issue and I believe that it requires nothing less than a national response.

Strangely and due to the bizarre way in which the relevant legislation is worded, anyone who wishes to object to the adoption on a permanent basis of an experimental TRO is required to do so during th efirst six months of that experiment.

Now quite how you are supposed to comment meaningfully on an experiment that is less than a third of the way through is beyond me but despite the inherent silliness of this it is what the relevant legislation requires.

So, as the first six months of the Chapel Gate ETRO expires at the end of February 2012 we have, as the title of this post states, about three weeks in which to oppose the permanent adoption of the current closure.

So what are you waiting for? Lets get objecting!

Letters or Emails stating your objection to the permanent adoption of the experimental TRO should be sent to:

Mike Rhodes
Access and RoW Manager
The Peak District National Park Authority
Aldern House
Baslow Road
Bakewell
DE45 1AE

or

Email: mike.rhodes@peakdistrict.gov.uk
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Chaplegate letters please in the next 3 weeks

Post by fallenmikethebike » 08 Feb 2012, 17:16

+1, mines been in a while, is this a further opportunity to object?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by back off road » 08 Feb 2012, 17:50

:o :o
Strangely and due to the bizarre way in which the relevant legislation is worded, anyone who wishes to object to the adoption on a permanent basis of an experimental TRO is required to do so during the first six months of that experiment. :OMG

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 08 Feb 2012, 19:07

:D Done,

Dear Sir
I would like to register my objection to the adoption of a permanent TRO on Chapel Gate.

It would seem perverse to repair a Byway surface to a level of sufficient quality to accommodate its use by vehicles capable of navigating such terrain, then to seek to exclude them from the said Byway.

This is particularly repugnant when it’s the latest clarion call and bandwagon to be jumped on by opportunistic “ban them all” bigots.

There is already a major disparity between the legal rights of way for responsibly ridden Trail bikes, and other user groups, so adding to the latter’s total mileage for spurious reasons seems grossly unfair.

A staged reintroduction of user classes should be undertaken, with walkers initially, followed by equine and Trail bikes, and lastly when it’s ascertained that the surface will indeed sustainably carry such use the 4x4s.

Monitoring by all user groups should be undertaken, any illegal users pressed to the full extent that the law allows.

It might also prove worthwhile to try and establish the reasoning as to why some groups of users inexplicably CHOOSE to use such contentious routes that inevitably will bring them into contact with the very element that they vehemently and vociferously proclaim they gone out into the countryside to avoid; this is truly baffling, unless I’m completely obtuse.
May I have a confirmation that my objection will be added to the list of objectors, and forwarded for any enquiry that it deem necessary to undertake.
Yours Sincerely

Mike

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by back off road » 08 Feb 2012, 21:47

cheers fmtb all objections gratefully recieved

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 09 Feb 2012, 19:33

Sent mine off Tuesday evening and had a reply already, just the standard stuff.

Also sent off another letter as I put claims in for some lanes (UCR's) around Ashbourne some 6 years ago so the local lads can send in the evidence
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 10 Feb 2012, 18:24

Mudfacetony wrote:Sent mine off Tuesday evening and had a reply already, just the standard stuff.

Also sent off another letter as I put claims in for some lanes (UCR's) around Ashbourne some 6 years ago so the local lads can send in the evidence
Well done.
Mike

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR

Post by Active Rascal » 27 Feb 2012, 14:25

Please get them in ASAP if you haven't already, mine is as follows:

Dear Mike,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your input to the BBC program ‘Tales From The National Parks’ a few months ago. I can sympathise with the difficult position you are in with regards to vehicular rights of way within the Peak District National Park. However I shall continue to object to any proposed TRO’s within this area.

I am writing in response to the proposed permanent TRO on ChapelGate as I strongly object to this proposition.

I understand the described byway is currently under an experimental TRO, however I also understand this was carried out without any real aim or plan, and nothing was officially or properly ‘experimented’. I know a lot of work has been carried out to improve the byway, including the implementation of substantial drainage systems. I believe it is the water causing the majority of the erosion as parts of this byway are very steep and form part of a natural drainage system. Now this work has been carried out, why ban vehicles from using a legitimate byway? If, in the future erosion does continue to occur, and there is sufficient evidence it has been caused by trail riders, then why not ask the TRF for voluntary help to repair the lane?

I have been a member of the Trail Rider’s Fellowship (TRF) for the past four years. The TRF are an active organisation, looking out for the care, interest and use of green lanes across Great Britain. The TRF promote sensible and respectful use of green lanes, and operate strict codes of conduct to ensure that all byway users (including horse riders, cyclists and pedestrians) can enjoy the freedom of the Great British countryside. This not only involves combining the highway and country codes, but as a group we respectfully give way to pedestrians, stop and switch off engines for all horse riders and follow a voluntary speed restriction of 25mph.

The Peak District Nation Park is open for the enjoyment of the public, as should be open to all user groups, therefore I believe Chapel Gate must be kept open for all users to enjoy. I would feel personally disheartened if the described route was to be closed for vehicular use, and I believe this would be extremely unfair. I believe this is segregating and discriminating against one user group, which doesn’t fit my strong belief of ‘fairness for all user groups’.

Lastly, I would like to highlight all the benefits that green lane users bring to the local economy. When we travel, we use local fuel stations at least twice, and stop at least once at a local café for lunch. This collectively brings money to boost the local economy. Has anybody asked local shops, cafes and fuel stations their views on ‘off-roaders’ in the Peak District?

I would like to thank you for listening to my concerns, and hope you take my opinions on board.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 Feb 2012, 17:21

:D Good letter AR, it is also worth noting NO national parks were in existence when Trail Riding started over 100 years ago.
We should have our rights enshrined as an ancient and legal activity.
Mike

gjm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gjm » 28 Feb 2012, 07:08

This is unlikely to affect me, but I wholeheartedly support the rights of individuals to have vehicular access, and will add my letter to those sent. Whether a Norfolk postmarked will be noticed is another matter!

I have been a part of teams of 4x4 drivers who have spent days repairing damage to green lanes, sadly (in some cases) caused by trail bikes. Other 4x4 users have been equally guilty, of ccourse.

Responsible use is not the problem. It is, as usual, the minority who spoil it for many. And that applies to ALL users - including walkers, horseriders, cyclists and those using motorized transport.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Feb 2012, 08:27

Please do write in, your licence is valid for any road anywhere in the country ;) .
Mike

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR

Post by Active Rascal » 01 Dec 2012, 21:04