bamboo-zled ride! ( sneaky carb / PV question :p )

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
bamboo-zled ride! ( sneaky carb / PV question :p )

Post by fishtail » 21 Jan 2013, 13:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZUht53 ... e=youtu.be

created another loop at my local - its great having somewhere only 10 mins away to ride..

about 1 min 20 secs in is some crazy bamboo.. had just scouted this route - it follows a stream bed for quite a way- sort of feels like you riding in a tunnel or the deathstar to drop a bomb :lol: -
its well defended by bamboo at the start - need a strimmer attachment!

bike's running okish now - reliable at least :)
- but I think its a bit hesitant at low RPM.. ( sort of feels like when first started and not quite firing right- but high end power is amazing on it.. sort of has an inline four feeling? :o that high end rush?!

could be pilot jet ? :?: which way u reckon? :arrow: leaner or richer? cant remember whats on there now?

power valve is opening.. wondered if I didnt get the adjustment right? cos once its wide open the power is great?

bike starts real easy now- pretty much first kick even from cold ( as long as used dailyish - which I managed last week -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZUht53 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: bamboo-zled ride! ( sneaky carb / PV question :p )

Post by fishtail » 21 Jan 2013, 13:48

ps anyone got any tips on how to make the sharp right hander at the bottom ( 5 min 5 sec..)

its a 90 degree turn at the bottom of about 8-10 feet steep slope. (more than 45 degree ish I guess ) ( with lots of bamboo stumps to make it interesting )
havent made this corner once yet ( only did this loop 5 times in total )

there's a little trench at the bottom too.

maybe hard back brake at the last moment? would that cause back end to swing around? i just have this fear of highsiding?

PS be grateful for ideas on which way to tune the pilot.. I did try putting the choke on temporarily to see if that solved it.. but it didn't..
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 21 Jan 2013, 17:33

Awesome, you may need to lean out the pilot mixture a touch, firstly wind it all the way in carefully counting each quarter turn, you will then have a guide for adjusting away from.
Hopefully your rad guards are in good order, otherwise your next post might be about rad repairs.
Standing trials fashion, but at very slow pace is the only way to tackle such terrain.
Set up a similar section that's a bit more open and practice, blending all the controls functions together.
It is sometimes advisable to drag the back brake on such climbs to help stopping the back wheel breaking traction, but the technique requires lot's of practice, and feel for what the engine and wheels are up to.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 21 Jan 2013, 19:05

Wide turn and use the back brake - a trials riders tip to make the bike turn tighter
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Jan 2013, 00:20

rad guards? :shock: OMG they fell off months ago... :o those plastic things that look like those that what used to push car wiper blades onto wind screen?

actually its funny u mentioned that mike cos I noticed that the shrouds got a pounding doing this... i did not even consider the radiators might get fubared doing this :idea: crazy idea I might just get some perforated aluminum sheeting and see if I cant bent it the right shape cos the radiotor shrouds are split to hell and hanging off... ( zip ties rule ! yes my bike is class :lol: )

thanks for the technique tips- luckily there is a similarish slope thats a bit more open I can have a practise on - altho I am wondering if the reeds might make something nice to fall off into :lol:

and ta! for the carb leaning suggestions. altho I did try playing with the air screw cos thats easy to do.. I guess I will have to try a leaner jet in,

problem is the bike is a state tony would approve of.. ( covered in mud :D ) so its not really appropriate to take the carb off and I dont have a hose pipe..

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 22 Jan 2013, 17:34

^^^^ What's the current setting? And on what size jet [ pilot].
Mike

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Jan 2013, 18:26

i tried fiddlin the air screw - and 2 b honest it dint really do much?! ie idlin speed didnt really change as some tutorials suggested.

i had it at 1.5 ish turns out from fully in < i think?> ( i did change the carb's o rings in the last 6 months <i think?> )

pilot - I have forgotten - but its either a 42 or 40.. i might have a 38 available... as well as 45 48 and 50.

when I first got bike it was running a 50 pilot.. and before I changed the exhaust quite frankly all I did was make the performance worse.. altho now the new TRX piston it starts much better and the high end power is pretty dam fine..

I think my experiments in pilot jetting *may* have been undermined by an electrical fault ( yes that took me a while to solve :( )

on the bright side I have got much better at what to check now on the electronics.. ( those connectors under the headlights have got knocked off a few times recently.. )

tanks!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 22 Jan 2013, 18:49

fishtail wrote:i tried fiddlin the air screw - and 2 b honest it dint really do much?! ie idlin speed didnt really change as some tutorials suggested.

i had it at 1.5 ish turns out from fully in < i think?> ( i did change the carb's o rings in the last 6 months <i think?> )

pilot - I have forgotten - but its either a 42 or 40.. i might have a 38 available... as well as 45 48 and 50.

when I first got bike it was running a 50 pilot.. and before I changed the exhaust quite frankly all I did was make the performance worse.. altho now the new TRX piston it starts much better and the high end power is pretty dam fine..

I think my experiments in pilot jetting *may* have been undermined by an electrical fault ( yes that took me a while to solve :( )

on the bright side I have got much better at what to check now on the electronics.. ( those connectors under the headlights have got knocked off a few times recently.. )

tanks!
It could also be worth checking all the HT/LT connections, a weak input will give poor running, but with so many variables I foresee lots of fettling time ahead. If it's starting easy, then it's unlikely to be a weak pilot mix.
Mike

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 23 Jan 2013, 09:21

its never easy when I get the spanners out... :roll:

the HT lead is brand new.. as is the spark plug cap.. altho the first time I put the lead on it did actually fall off when I put the rad on.. the 2nd time it did seem a bit better..

I must say tho the spark doesnt look overally powerful....

could incorrectly set PV also be a cause?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Jan 2013, 16:52

fishtail wrote:its never easy when I get the spanners out... :roll:

the HT lead is brand new.. as is the spark plug cap.. altho the first time I put the lead on it did actually fall off when I put the rad on.. the 2nd time it did seem a bit better..

I must say tho the spark doesnt look overally powerful....

could incorrectly set PV also be a cause?
Steve to comment, If had been inadvertantly set with to high, then I feel for sure the engines lack of bottom end power could be explained, but the power would probably be like a light switch when it did kick in.
Perhaps check and set as per the manual.
Mike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 23 Jan 2013, 17:31

I think the best way to set the PV is the second last post in - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5260. You can then be certain that it is set correctly.

A lack of low end power might be a symptom of a too high PV setting. The power would not be an 'on/off swtich' though, just a bit wooly right on the bottom.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Jan 2013, 01:41

now I'm feeling keener to fiddle.. since the bottom end is a bit woolly and there is a pretty marked change when the really power kicks in...
thanks for link - :BB

ps you know when you do a wheelie over a log or rock etc - how do u stop the rear end bucking up an booting you up the butt?

pps can u believe it a mate of mine is lending me a petrol powered strimmer? 2 stroke as well! :lol:

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Jan 2013, 17:06

fishtail wrote:now I'm feeling keener to fiddle.. since the bottom end is a bit woolly and there is a pretty marked change when the really power kicks in...
thanks for link - :BB

ps you know when you do a wheelie over a log or rock etc - how do u stop the rear end bucking up an booting you up the butt?

pps can u believe it a mate of mine is lending me a petrol powered strimmer? 2 stroke as well! :lol:
The shock has no rebound adjustment, so you have to compensate by absorbing the hit with your knees, if you chop the throttle that will also shift the weight bias forward, exacerbating the problem.
It could also be that the shock needs a service.
Mike

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Jan 2013, 18:24

actually I'm plannin to get some logs onto my loop so I can practise this - mostly its lots of uphill climbs with rocks in the way..

by chop u mean let go? so dont let go the throttle .. . i tried keepin the gas on the last ride out that had a bunch of logs enroute but sometimes it felt like the rear was gonna kick up higher.. hmm could be my body postion.. I'm not superconfident with the stand up wheelie,,,

yeh my shock is screwed- I realise its bottoming out on almost any drop... ( like I pulled a wheelie of a 2 or 3 foot ish "curb" today -and it grunched!!! )

local bloke does suspension servicing pushed the back of the bike down a few times - an said it needed the gas topping up?

i think i gonna take the whole bike apart in may or june.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 06 Feb 2013, 13:42

taken a look at my PV - not sure about my adjustment marks - in that thread above the AR seems quite clear.. but my mk 3 isnt so clear..

cant see what I'm supposed to line up with what? is it that vague line on the case? looks like that lined up?

I tried some slight adjustments either way.. but its really obvious = a massive increase in power...

seems like mid range now? sort of holds back for a "minute" then BAM - massive power increase..

could it be carb? raise or lower the needle?

saying this I bumped into a local guy on an AR - and my bike whipped him so it cant be that bad?