Salisbury Plain

Off on a rideout ? or know of a good place to ride ? then let us all know here.
xstian
Reactions:
Salisbury Plain

Post by xstian » 12 Sep 2013, 17:46

Me and a couple of mates are thinking of having a weekend riding this area. What is the riding like round there? I've heard mixed thing. Some say there are lots of trails and its good, others say its a bit boring.

Are there plenty of trails in the area, not including the plain it's self? I'm happy to look at a map and find them (I know people don't like to share that sort of info), but don't want to waste my time if its not worth going.

Also where can I find out when the plain is open? I've phoned the MOD number, but it only tells you about the week coming up. We need to book accommodation, so need a few weeks notice.

I'm not trying to pinch route's off people. I just want to know what the area is like to ride and if it is going to be worth spending the weekend there.

Thanks Christian.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Salisbury Plain

Post by fallenmikethebike » 12 Sep 2013, 21:42

Yes there is plenty to do. Wiltshire is blessed with several hundred miles of Byways.
Of course you know I'm going to say join the TRF and get one of their guys to show around, but you can do it just using maps. It's also a good idea to phone the County Council before hand to ascertain what Byways have a TRO on.
The stuff actually on the plain is very easy going, and lots of it, drift away from those areas and things start to get harder and more interesting.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 13 Sep 2013, 08:19

I am a member of the TRF. Unfortunately I think I'm going to let that go. My local group are not very accessible. They have no forum, unlike most groups. So the only way to organise or be involved in a ride is to go to there meets, which is a 70 mile round trip. That's OK once in a while, but I would rather use that time riding.

Is the MOD telephone number with the recorded message the only way to find out if the plain is open?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 13 Sep 2013, 18:57

The plains are always open. The routes you are using are Byways, and are generally unaffected by army antics.
Even if they are using some of the plain, it's not all of it that's affected.
That's a disappointing group in Wiltshire from the sound of it, try joining another group, perhaps like the Southern group, they ride on the plains quite a lot, and you will be more than welcome with them.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

xstian
Reactions:

Post by xstian » 14 Sep 2013, 07:32

It's not the Wiltshire group, it's the Norfolk group.

Thanks for your help, I'll have to start looking at some maps.

644andy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3

Post by 644andy » 14 Sep 2013, 10:53

I'd show you some routes or give you some ideas, no problem. As the autumn draws in it can get pretty slippery on the chalky bits but still good fun. As said previously you can find your way round with maps, but you'll be mostly on the big gravel tracks, of which there are miles.
Range wardens are pretty good guys, unless you're riding a motocrosser, the police turn up every now and again, so i'd suggest carrying your licence and a photocopy of your docs.
We're out there probably once a month. Pick a wet weekend and it's bleak out there, pick a sunny one and its stunning.
I can avoid the boggy bits if you're wanting to bring big bikes.
Try here for some info:
http://php.wiltshire.gov.uk/row/sect31d ... posits.php
https://www.gov.uk/public-access-to-military-areas
Cheers,
Andy
Hanging on for grim death in Hampshire

English Electric
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2 with AR en

Post by English Electric » 16 Sep 2013, 21:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3trOKE ... ata_player This guy uploads a lot of Salisbury stuff. I must say most of it looks pretty dull though.