Jumping in feet 1st

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
SaffieD
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Jumping in feet 1st

Post by SaffieD » 20 Nov 2007, 23:34

I've entered the Team REME 3 hour Hare & Hound on December 2nd down in Hampshire. As this is going to be my 1st event I was hoping I could pick your brains guys?

Clothing? What to wear? I've got motocross kit which I bought last year when I had a KTM400EXC but only went off road with it a couple of times. What I'm wanting to know is what sort of kit to use that's going to be water-proof? I can wear my road gear - cordura jacket and trousers but don't really want to get them covered in mud..... Someone on TBM recommended army surplus gortex over-trousers. What about gloves? My fingers froze last year with the motocross gloves - thin leather / suede.
And how do you stop water & mud getting in your boots? Do you wear water-proofs over the top?

Tools and spares? On a 3 hour event like this, is it still recommended to carry tools, spare tube, tyre levers etc. bearing in mind the course is 7 miles long? If so, in a bag on the rear mudguard or on a waist belt?

Sorry about what must seem like silly questions, but I'd rather be properly prepared. I've been riding bikes all my life and did a fair bit of off road stuff back home in South Africa but I've never taken part in an event like this. Am really looking forward to it though.

Cheers
Derek

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 21 Nov 2007, 01:25

i use the usual mx gear and an alpinestars 2 piece waterproof suit.water and mud in your boots, if its that deep it'll get in anyway even if you wear water proofs over your boots so not a lot you can do apart from water proof socks but if the water gets inside the socks ya get wet feet.theres various makes of winter waterproof enduro gloves your local off-road shop,internet store or ebay should stock them.what i would get is a hydration pack,companies like kriega do them but there are cheaper alternatives.
tools wise i carry a plug spanner,8,10,11,12,13,14mm combi spanners,a decent adjustable for axle nuts,pliers (bull and long nosed),1/4 drive mini ratchet with 8,10,11,12,13mm sockets,flat blade & phillips screw drivers,tyre levers,CO2 gas tyre inflator & spare CO2 cylinders and a mini pump
spares:split link,spark plug,cable ties in various sizes,puncture repair kit,front and rear tubes(light duty tubes,you could just use the front tube for both in an emergency)
to carry all that cr@p i use a front & rear fender tool bags and my hydro pack has storage space for some of it too

oh and if you smoke,a pack of fags could come in handy :lol: :lol:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 21 Nov 2007, 07:44

Think Slider has covered everything. Lidl were doin 1.5l hydration system for £9.99, i bought one as back up for my Camelbak and they seem ok :D Take plenty of fluids to drink, you will need it. Think you'l find you will be way to warm with road kit on. Dont forget body armour (knee pads, elbow pads and a back protector as basic, if possible full cover chest and back with shoulder protection). If it was me this time of year, mx race shirt and trouser, full armour, waterproof jacket and over trousers (trousers over the boots and taped at the ankle, sealskin socks,waterproof enduro glove(take spare gloves if possible), and i've yet to find a boot that will keep water out 100%, and hope it dont rain like fek all day. If it does, you will get wet, either from rain or sweat. Get there early to get ready, pace yourself and most of all enjoy yourself. Good luck :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

andypugh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by andypugh » 21 Nov 2007, 09:45

[b]slider :[/b]

> tools wise i carry a plug spanner,8,10,11,12,13,14mm combi
> with 8,10,11,12,13mm sockets,

You could save precious grams and ditch the 11 and 13mm one, I think. I have never seen an (OE) odd-sized fastener on a japanese bike.

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 21 Nov 2007, 14:17

when you buy your bike and it comes in several boxes and then you rebuild it using 'cough' all new fasteners from work you would 'cough' :lol: .
plus when you weigh 18 st whats the extra 1/2 lb gonna do?? :lol:

get your point though andy,i should have thought on and removed the odd sized tools for a std machine :oops: .derek remove all traces of 11 & 13 mm tools please :wink:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 21 Nov 2007, 14:31

> when you buy your bike and it comes in several boxes and then you rebuild it
> using 'cough' all new fasteners from work you would 'cough' :lol: .
> plus when you weigh 18 st whats the extra 1/2 lb gonna do?? :lol:
>
> get your point though andy,i should have thought on and removed the odd sized
> tools for a std machine :oops: .derek remove all traces of 11 & 13 mm tools
> please :wink:

But i've got a 13mm bolt holdin my zorst on, what should i do now :? :oops: :lol:
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 21 Nov 2007, 14:41

erm :?: , :idea: dont take your zorst off :lol:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 21 Nov 2007, 14:44

> erm :?: , :idea: dont take your zorst off :lol:

Good thinking :D :lol:
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

SaffieD
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by SaffieD » 21 Nov 2007, 16:01

Thanks guys - exactly the info I needed. Now to go get some decent knobblies - the bike's got bridgestone trailwings on which feel good on the road but in speaking to a chap at work who's done this sort of thing, he recommended I get some more appropriate tyres. Off to ring Leisure Trail......

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 21 Nov 2007, 16:28

enjoy it derek and dont go nuts on the opening laps try to remember its a 3hr race :wink:

SaffieD
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by SaffieD » 21 Nov 2007, 16:45

3 hours? Is that all??? Bah - eeaaassyyy... :o

Yeah right.... I know I'm going to hurt on the Monday :cry:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 21 Nov 2007, 16:47