wor events,race experience day 15th dec

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:
wor events,race experience day 15th dec

Post by slider » 05 Dec 2007, 17:40

i've been talked into having a bash at one of wirrral off road's race experience days (cheers kingy,i'm obviously easily led :roll: ) .basically its an introduction to hare n hound style events with a 2 hr practice session starting at 10 am and then a 1 hr race that starts at 1 pm.
its held at the OROR estate,nr Gwyddelwern(between ruthin and bala on the a494) on the 15th dec
heres a link if anyone fancies entering
http://www.worevents.com/index.html

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 16 Dec 2007, 16:29

heres the full story of my day at the w.o.r race experience
i got to the venue & met up with kingy,bill,blue and mark,had a brew and a chat.then met up with the organiser of w.o.r events,steve ireland and a few of his team.i must say how friendly and accomodating steve and his team are,they create a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere for the newbies and are very professional to boot! :D .
anyway,bikes out and fuelled,us lot,suited and booted.we head out on the practice session.the first lap was a steady one so we could get the jist of the course,there'd been a heavy frost over night and the open field sections were rock hard & very slippy,the only grippy sections were in the wooded parts.kingy managed to get stuck in a boggy section after succesfully clipping a tree :lol: so i stopped to help him get the bike out and we carry on.out in the open was a real pain,one hint of throttle saw the rear wheel light up and the bikes snaking one way then the other :o
me and kingy had managed to lose the others so we then took it in turns to lead each lap.after the second lap we pulled over for a quick discussion,he mentions about a drop off in one part of the course that he's hittting flat out in 3rd on his wr450,feck,i thinks to meself i'm hitting that in 2nd on the crm,right then!!!!(this is the start of my down fall :lol: ).
off we set,for the 3rd lap with me in the lead,apart from the slipping,sliding and locked front wheel under braking,everything is going to plan.we approach the aforementioned drop off :idea: snick it into 3rd and light the blue touch paper,i hit the drop off perfect,even landed quite well,big smiles from inside my lid,cracks the throttle open again and oh feck the bike pirouettes and sends us sliding along the ground! :lol: .kingy pulls up larfing his head off,i pick me & the bike up,a little embarassed but larfing non the less.
we get going again and low and behold around the next corner after some rut negotiating i open the throttle a bit to quick again and the bike goes lock to lock twice,my legs are flailing around like jacky chan on speed.i'm now getting the jist that short shifting and a bit more throttle control is needed.we manage to finnish the lap without anymore incidents and decide its time for a brew again.

back in the pits,i spot a familiar face,eddie from this ere forum,out and about on his crm and thought he'd pop over and take some pics.cheers ed.
so we're all having a bit of a chat before going out on the final bit of the practice session.luckily the rest of the seesion goes with out to much bother and we go into the lunch break swapping 'war' stories from practice

now then,the race,40-50 bikes line up at the top of a steep,still very frozen hill with a narrow,single track wooded section at the bottom,suprisingly everybody waited there turn to get into the wood,with no sign of the carnage i half expected.kingy had managed to get a couple of riders betwen us and that was it,red mist :roll:.the first lap goes o.k,the riders spread out a bit more after halfway around and i found i could overtake a few,including kingy after he made a mistake.
into the second lap and i managed to make a mistake or two landing on my ass once after forgetting about throttle control coming out of a left hander and a stall at the bottom of a steep muddy climb :oops: .towards the end of the 2nd lap my arms are beginning to ache and a dose of pins and needles in my hands i decide to ease off a bit as i'm not able to keep the bike under control.
the first part of he 3rd lap is taken quite easy as i try and recover,but then i take a look over my shoulder,to see kingy homing in on me,borrocks!,back on the gas.he's within striking distance for most of the lap so i give up on looking where he is and try to concentrate on what i'm doing,this doesnt really work to well,trying to go round the outside of a tree in a deep rut,me and the bike fall over,into said tree :oops: .like a scalded cat,me and the bike were upright,unlike a scalded cat,i had to have a breather after the third attempt to kick the bike back to life,as the iron lung on was on overdrive.eventually got it running and carried on,quite surprised that kingy hadn't passed already??(i find out later he'd had his own incident)
onto the 4th lap and this went suprisingly well with no offs and only a couple of near misses,but lots of sliding about and finally reached the finish line FF.
back to the pits to swap more war stories over a gallon of coffee and cheeseburgers :wink: .eddie tells us he's got some photographic evidence of our day out before he heads home via some green lanes and we pack up and get changed.
so w.o.r race experience days,worth doing??,yep definitely so,run by a friendly and professional team & only £50 for the day,no race licence req.would i enter a 3hr H&H event definitely not yet,i learnt that i'm nowhere near fit enough to do more than the 1hr race just yet!!! :D

if you fancy a crack at a R.E.D day take a look at W.O.R's site
steve

http://www.worevents.com/index.html

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 16 Dec 2007, 18:58

Nice one Slider 8) And excellent report mate 8) :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Greg
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Greg » 16 Dec 2007, 22:12

[b]slider :[/b]
> my legs are flailing around like jacky chan on speed.

Oi. thats my riding style, develope your own lol :lol: well done m8.

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 16 Dec 2007, 23:03

cheers chaps :wink:

rene
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by rene » 17 Dec 2007, 12:15

sounds like you had a good day! need to get some stuff like this booked while its still lovely a muddy out!
ZXR750 L1
1986 Maico GM 250
TL1000R

http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mickstoy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mickstoy » 17 Dec 2007, 15:03

well done mate looks like i missed a good day :cry:
91 mk2

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 17 Dec 2007, 16:10

rene,i'll post up the details next time we sort one out

mick,yeah you missed a minter mate

just as an example of how slippy it was,after my first off i noticed the front tyre was off the bead,i thought i'd let too much pressure out,mm nope.just cleaned the bike and i've ripped the valve out of the tube and i didnt notice any difference in grip :lol: :lol:

morticus
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: wor events,race experience day 15th dec

Post by morticus » 22 Dec 2007, 12:53

WOR events are fantastic.Ive done 3 now (first one was a nightmare) in fact I just spent the last hour writing about it ,came to post it and and lost it. Oh well, it did go on a abit anyway.Only short posts for me in future. Doing one in early Feb if anyone is interested.

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:
Re: wor events,race experience day 15th dec

Post by slider » 22 Dec 2007, 16:13

welcome to the forum mort :D ,yeah,i cant praise w.o.r enough :bow: .the lads i went with are on about doing one in feb so may see you there.