ActionSouthWest H&H 13th April Bickleigh, Devon.

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Location: East Devon, Nr. Exeter. CRM Mk2 96 (92), CR250 87, TDM850 96
ActionSouthWest H&H 13th April Bickleigh, Devon.

Post by isimmins » 22 Mar 2008, 18:04

I've entered this, my first. Any tips on CRM preparation (apart from a kickstart! see GD).

Thanks

Ian

[url]http://www.actionsouthwest.net[/url]

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: ActionSouthWest H&H 13th April Bickleigh, Devon.

Post by fallenmikethebike » 22 Mar 2008, 20:05

isimmins wrote:I've entered this, my first. Any tips on CRM preparation (apart from a kickstart! see GD).

Thanks

Ian

http://www.actionsouthwest.net
Your first event ? complete nut and bolt check.Does it go o/k fuel/ coolant/oil ---alltypes/ bearings CRM bogey/ cables nice and smooth-- arm pump from stiff throttle :cry: / stiffen suspension/ loosen control perches-- your going to fall off :( this helps avoid broken levers/ does it stop-- renew pads front but especially back /lower back brake lever bite point-- your gonna be standing a lot / raise gear change lever now and get used to it --this keeps it out of harms way/tyres new if budget allows/pressures set on the day when conditions are known/ rim locks check tightness/slacken nut away from rim on valve stem -- this allows you to see at a glance if tubes shifted in tyre/ wear gear your familiar with/ don't eat rubbish food the night before chinese ,indian' to much spice and mono sodium pasta and a sauce is best/ don't get lashed up either :cry: /get everything organized in plenty of time/ have a mental run through of every thing you will need/ make a check list / get to event in plenty of time to sign on -- race numbers--have a dump ect /don't overeat that morning-- a bowl of cereal is great / take some spare clothes especially gloves / most important have realistic expectations --its a learning experience / but above all else ENJOY YOURSELF / after the the event you can have a blowout because you will be starving then. :lol: :lol:
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

kernow krusty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kernow krusty » 22 Mar 2008, 20:47

Yeah..wot Mike said!
Also..dont get involved in a personal battle with another rider..treat the day as a learning curve and, to be honest, if they are going faster than you, let em pass!
The one thing i'll guarantee is that you'll learn more about off road riding in those 3 hours than in your last years worth of laning.
Bananas are good for mid race snack. I used to swear by glucose/dextrose tablets, available from Boots/Superdrug. Chew on 2 or 3 when you stop for some quick energy.
most hare and hounds are fairly short laps, so you'll pass the pits regularly. Dont be afraid to pull in whenever you want to. The other nice thing about H and H is that the finish flag is normally close to the pits, so you can pull into the pits and wait for the finish flag, even if its 20 minutes to go, then ride over the line to register a finish.
Oh, i used to wear cycling shorts under my jeans..prevention of enduro wedgie and other various crown jewel related discomfort!
Where do you live Ian?
I phoned the Ramblers today, but the bloke on the phone just went on and on....

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 22 Mar 2008, 22:10

Woah! Thanks guys. Lots of great tips.

I live in East Devon.

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 22 Mar 2008, 22:20

4 miles from Sidmouth.

thb7s
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by thb7s » 22 Mar 2008, 23:58

Hi Ian

Some tips on Enduros:

fit new tyres!!
I have used Michelin Comp 3/4 if rules say FIM only, or Michelin S12 if open, there are cheaper copies such as Mitas or Vee Rubber
Play with your tyre pressures,this is a massive learning curve if its your first event, so make use of it.
You are going to get tyred, so take a break and try some different stuff
This time of year the track will cut up over the course of the event so dont expect the best line to be the same every lap.
Try to carry an onboard drink system such as Camelbak, i fitted mine so the hose and bite valve go through the gauze in the chin bar of the helmet and just push/pull hose in/out when i need a drink
a good sports drink is SIS GO! which replaces minerals and electrolytes when you sweat, coz you will sweat!!
keep drinking till you go to bed, even if you do have to pee a lot, SIS GO! is available from cycle shops or online, get one of their bottles as well, it has mix levels printed on it

Perfect the art of crashing! You only generally get hurt when you are not expecting to crash, if you get into trouble try to ride/accelerate out of it, its amazing what the bike will do even if you are just hanging on
When you do go down, try to pull in the clutch and get back on as soon as poss. However if you get right off the bike,try to minimize impact by do a forward roll or something similar.

Get as much weight off the bike as poss, such as indicators,rear light if allowed,pillion pegs,speedo cable, those big Baja lights if you still have them on
You only need a front sprocket guard, also check the regs, some clubs let you go with only a light shroud and lens with no bulbs.

Stand up as much as poss and RELAX whenever you can

You will have a ball, treat it as a fun day and you'll be fine

Youre aim should be to finish whatever happens, and dont be intimidated by the fast boys, let them through on the open bits, you have as much right to be there as they do!!

Good luck and enjoy

Trev

By the way, if you really get the bug, i have a race prepped MK3 for sale, check out the for sale section!!!

kernow krusty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kernow krusty » 23 Mar 2008, 14:48

Ive got a scruffy, non working headlight unit you could cable tie on in place of the baja lights. Check the regs, Im not sure if they run transponders for lap counting or good old fashioned counting you as you go through. See if they insist on yellow backgrounds.
If you are going to spend any money, tyres are def the best investment. Check your regs carefully. If its trials tyres to the rear, I highly recommend Pirelli MT43.
I work in Plymouth and Brixham sometimes, and Id be happy to pop over one evening if you think it would help.
Regards Tony
I phoned the Ramblers today, but the bloke on the phone just went on and on....

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Mar 2008, 18:20

Er sorry Ian 1 more thing 'Filter make sure you have a freshly oiled filter in' use good quality filter oil" twin air" "putoline" grease all contact surfaces. Spray inside filter housing with a WD type light oil = helps to shed water quicker + make sure drain off is clear of muck and debris. :oops: that was more than 1 thing sorry
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 23 Mar 2008, 19:19

Yep, cleaning the filter is on my list of things 2 do. That list seems to be growing longer faster than it is growing shorter! :D

Looking at the regs for today's first round nothing about headlights and ANY tyres are OK.

http://www.kmmotorcycles.co.uk/asw/aswd ... 8_regs.pdf

Looking on YouTube at last year's events it looks like you can run a full on motXer if you want. As long as it is silenced properly.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=actionsouthwest

They use transponders.

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 05 Apr 2008, 18:19

On Thursday I spent the day with Rob Wrayford (ACU accredited coach) at one of his enduro schools. See http://www.dirtybiking.com/rwes for details. Ignore the dates on this page, the contact numbers are correct though.

I feel a lot less worried about my first event now. I had a pucture (Vee Rubber Extra Heavy Duty!) within the first hour and of course I didn't take a spare tube. So Rob took me to the local bike shop and I managed to get a rear moose for £20 (hardly used). I went back the day after and got a brand new front moose for £23!

The day was great, I learnt so much. Especially to slip the clutch with your left index finger. 7 hours later I was hanging of the bike but I felt great.

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 05 Apr 2008, 18:30

isimmins wrote:On Thursday I spent the day with Rob Wrayford (ACU accredited coach) at one of his enduro schools. See http://www.dirtybiking.com/rwes for details. Ignore the dates on this page, the contact numbers are correct though.

I feel a lot less worried about my first event now. I had a pucture (Vee Rubber Extra Heavy Duty!) within the first hour and of course I didn't take a spare tube. So Rob took me to the local bike shop and I managed to get a rear moose for £20 (hardly used). I went back the day after and got a brand new front moose for £23!

The day was great, I learnt so much. Especially to slip the clutch with your left index finger. 7 hours later I was hanging of the bike but I felt great.
Glad you had a good day isimmins 8) And where did you get the mooses for that price mate :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Apr 2008, 18:45

Apart from the lack of punctures is there any advantage to fitting mooses? Disadvantages? Weight? B**tards to get on?

What pressures do they theretically (sp? :roll: ) mimic or are there different mooses to give different characteristics? How long do they last?

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 05 Apr 2008, 20:41

In my experience, 5hrs, mooses give you so much more grip. They run at the equivalent of about 8psi. They are not too bad to get on, as long as you use lots of washing up liquid to lubricate the moose before fitting and then use a mixture of washing up liquid/water to wet the rim of the tyre. Oh, using more than 2 levers helps.

I don't know if you can get different compounds of moose, I think you can. I was told they can last about two years. Normally they cost atleast £70 but...

try Torbay Motorcycles in Newton Abbot. :wink:
http://www.torbaymc.eclipse.co.uk/contact.htm

Ian

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 06 Apr 2008, 00:09

I can't guarantee that they are brand new though. Mooses do shrink after a while.

isimmins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by isimmins » 06 Apr 2008, 19:16

Another thing about mooses. I quoted a pressure of approx. 8psi, that was on a rear wheel in a trials tyre. I've changed my rear to a V Rubber 211 motox/enduro and the moose gives it what feels like 14psi. This is because the cross section of a trials tyre is wider than a motocross tyre.

If you aren't comfortable with how the tyre feels with a moose you can pad it out with an old inner tube, wrapped around the moose. This is probably what I'll do with my front as I think the 21 inch moose I got even though it was unused seems to have shrunk a bit with age.

Ian