environmental mats

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
roryntp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 1991 mk2
environmental mats

Post by roryntp » 10 Jan 2010, 22:31

hi all, does anyone here know if an enduro environmental pit mat has to be certified by anything? are you allowed to use an old bit of carpet instead of forking out £30 or so for a garage work mat?

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3
Re: environmental mats

Post by Mudfacetony » 13 Jan 2010, 20:39

use some carpet.

There are no environmental mats as i know, most ignore the rule/regs for them. All it is to do is soak up any petrol you spill. Don't spent money on stuff as anything that looks professonal might go walkies while you are racing

roryntp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by roryntp » 14 Jan 2010, 09:52

cheers tony!

lgingell
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR W

Post by lgingell » 16 Jan 2010, 13:44

i use a piece of old carpet, 16 scottish races last season and noone complained.

good luck!

are you racing the crm, or something else?

i raced the crm all last year, but have recently bought a ktm exc 200 so will race that instead.

i think id like to use the crm on the road this year for a bit of trail riding.

roryntp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by roryntp » 10 Mar 2010, 08:54

cheers fella, i'll just grab a crappy bit of carpet for our first race then.

yeah, i'm using the CRM for this year to see how much fun i have. if i enjoy doing a season of H&Hs enough i'll probably keep using it because i'm never going to be good enough to warrant a competitive bike :D if i completely suck at racing then i'll use it for greenlaning in the winter :)

lgingell
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR W

Post by lgingell » 14 Mar 2010, 08:54

if you want any advice about racing / modifying the crm please feel free to drop me a line.

i found the crm a great bike, fantastic engine - terrible chassis.

One great thing about the crm is the tank range. i finished two 3 h H+H last year without stopping for fuel, and had 5 litres left! I could have gone out with 1/2 tank and still finished!

the things i changed were
gearing - ended up with 13/51 after trying 45,47,and 49 t rears
slow action throttle - one of the best mods and very cheap / free! I made mine out of an origional honda throttle twistgrip.
shock and fork springs - make suspension much better - but still terrible. well worth the money
fork oil - ended up with 15w, after trying 5, 7.5, 10, 12,5, 15, and 20.
bike protection - hand gaurds, disc gaurds, sump gaurd, frame gaurds etc
1.3 bar radiator cap - also one of the most effective / cheap mods - an absolute essential if you get stuck in boggs!
moose in rear tyre - after dnf in 2 races with rear punctures, i fitted a moose and have never looked back
braided brake line - also well worth the money, very cheap, and very effective
br8eix - iridium plug, heat range 8. i found the br9eix too "hard" a plug for my riding.
renthal bars - dakar high - highest / widest bars that renthal sell - need to reroute clutch and throttle cables
renthal handlebar mushroom / donuts - less blisters has got to be a good thing!

the bike was reliable with the exeption of overheating in the bogs. I think i have cured that by fitting the 1.3 bar rad cap.

good luck

Jonorow
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jonorow » 17 Apr 2010, 21:12

An enviromental mat is anything that will stop oil or fuel dropping on the ground. if it does that soil MUST be removed, either by you (if your caught) or by the event holders. this is the theory, dont know of anyone actualy being done for it though?
98 (94) CRM250 MK3
96 ST1100PT
99 NT650V Deauville (Gone to roads new)
http://www.rymcc.co.uk