a good two stroke enduro bike ?

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc
a good two stroke enduro bike ?

Post by back off road » 28 Nov 2011, 18:50

is anyone using a 2 stroke for enduro events ?

if so what and would you recommend it , looking for something a bit more modern than the crm and that parts are readily available for
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: a good two stroke enduro bike ?

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Nov 2011, 18:58

GasGas 250 - so smooth and supple suspension (Ohlins option even better) or KTM 200 - if you like it a bit more feisty.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 Nov 2011, 19:39

knackeredMk1 wrote:GasGas 250 - so smooth and supple suspension (Ohlins option even better) or KTM 200 - if you like it a bit more feisty.
Or even the GG 200, which you will love, getting towards the end of the event.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 28 Nov 2011, 20:18

I did have a KTM200EXC for enduros and H&H events. In fast H&H stuff it was fantastic - light, agile, great fun ut spent much of the time with the front wheel in the air. I put a small rear sprocket on and that cured the wheelie problem and boy did it increase top speed. The big problem with this bike is it is really peaky and has a real narrow power band compared to the CRM.

I've now got a Gas Gas EC 300. Gassers tend to fall to bits compared to KTM's as the build quality is not as good. However, the handlings is much better and the thing stops as the brakes are better. I'd go for a 300 not a 200, the 300 (gasser or KTM) has much more torque and so in an enduro when you plod on a bit in difficult terrain, I find it pulls better than the peaky 200. My mate has a gasser 200 and is a better rider than me but when we get on snotty, greasy up hill stuff, I find it much easier to deal with than he does on the 200.

The 300 is as fast as F*** as well so when you get a chance to go fast you are not stressing the engine as much.
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

lgingell
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR W

Post by lgingell » 02 Dec 2011, 07:23

i agree - i have a exc 200 - very good bike, but definetly does not have the torque of the 300 - or the crm.

the 300 are a similer torque to the crm - but either the ktm or the gas gas will never be as durable as a crm engine - they are compitition machines with service shedules counted in hours as apposed to miles / KM