A Year to forget

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3
A Year to forget

Post by Mudfacetony » 23 Aug 2013, 06:33

somehow the number 13 in 2013 should have meant bad luck was on the way for e in the Centennial Rally last weekend but the bad luck started at the start of the year (or am I riding on the edge too much for me and the CRM?).

So two weeks ago it was the Beacons Rally in Wales and on the last special on the Saturday I did a bit more tree hugging (clipped a small tree with my right handle bar, went down, hit my left hand on the ground, and bust my brake lever. Got up, back on the bike and finished the test as quick as I could. Changing the brake lever at the end of the test, the left hand (the one I broke at the Kielder Rally) was in a bit of pain. By Sunday morning it was swollen up so I decided to sit out the Sunday so I would be OK for the Centennial. Result despite the fall was a class win and 10th overall.

The Centennial last week (470 miles over three days) started last Friday, the hand was not very swollen thanks to the ice packs, I had full movement and with some pain killers, all seemed OK. Laps one and two incident free but laps three was cut short with a puncture, then a second one. With only one spare tube I was out! Oh, bugger. No mouse in the back as a 15 mile liaison from Carlisle Castle to the Kielder/Walk/Kershope forest complex two times a day I thought PC Plod might be hanging around. Saturday was a big day (225 miles) and apart from a get off in the 2nd special (going too fast again!) all went well. Sunday was good but a very fast, long special and the CRM was just on fast enough.

The Centennial test times for the 5 tests I did without incident would have given me a comfortable Trail class win and 12th overall - so note to self, slow down a touch and use mousses.

Monday evening went back to A&E at Durham University hospital and my left hand is bust again, same bone as Kielder, different break. This time all the way though. Result - no more racing this year (or possibly the TBEC event in November.

Over to you Andy, you should be up for the Cambrian win as long as you keep in front of the DRZ!
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: A Year to forget

Post by Mudfacetony » 23 Aug 2013, 06:40

This year

Brechfa - bike not running very well - 2nd
Pikes Peak Rally - 1st
Kielder Rally - DNF - broken hand
Ryedale Rally - 3rd - mousse in rear shot on special test
Beacons - 1st Sat, DNS Sun - broken hand
Kielder - DNF - punctures

I'm avoiding the rest of the year, even for bowls or darts! roll on 2014
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Aug 2013, 17:59

:( Fate is letting you know she's at your shoulder.
Good results for the year though.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

644andy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3

Post by 644andy » 23 Aug 2013, 18:59

I will do my best to uphold CRM honour Tony ;)

Heck of a run of bad luck you're having mate, hope you can still hold a pint ok. Can't remember who said it but "to finish first, you first have to finish", you're by far the quickest out there in the trail bike class and i think consistantly one of the quickest overall :BB You'll work out the strategy for you, no problem.
I blew the crank at Kielder, i think just through giving it the beans on too many big gravel tracks, it was my first rally and i learned to just ride the liason's, not go mad, preserve the bike and finish at Ryedale was my mantra, it worked for me. I'll get quicker until I'm sat in a bush somewhere, you gotta find the limits.

My tyre fitter knew i was riding road sections so he fitted valves from a couple of old inner tubes when he put the mouses in, it passed the MOT last month without raising any suspicions ;)

I've got my Camrbian entry, can't wait, staying at a local pub again as I've spent enough time living rough on welsh hills in a previous job. I've got to say, i hold you personally responsible for my addiction to rallying. It's the most fun I've had on a bike since i was 17 and racing my mates everywhere.

Get fixed soon mate,
Andy
Hanging on for grim death in Hampshire

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Mudfacetony » 24 Aug 2013, 17:33

Good luck Andy. Don't forget to tape up the top of your boots for when you get to the Strata Florida, and look for the fast flowing water - the shallow bits
Team Mudface