I can see this needing its own section so please read

Got a top tip to keep your CRM or other bike in top condition, or have a solution you wish to share with everyone ?? Get em posted here please
admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR
I can see this needing its own section so please read

Post by admin » 01 May 2003, 12:32

Any tips on maintaining our bikes Trail or road, please post them here.

spelky
Reactions:

Post by spelky » 03 Nov 2004, 23:04

If you regularly jet wash (and who doesn't if you use your CRM off road) then watch that swing arm spindle. It can seize so solid that with the bike on it's side and great batterings from Thor's hammer it just won't move.

Preventative action in the form of regular removal (say 3x a year) and greasing will do for both the spindle and the needle rollers in the swing arm, also avoiding aiming the jet wash directly at any bearings is always a good idea

kevinorriss
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
be carefull wen washing

Post by kevinorriss » 11 Jan 2005, 11:31

if u can cover up any delicate bits that can get damaged like the bearing and the air intake, things like that, if u can use a low powered jet wash as they do damage the bikes, ive seen it happen, and dont put ur hand in the way of the jet wen its on bean, it bloody hurts, took me skin off

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
lights

Post by CRMR » 11 Jan 2005, 16:14

fairly easy one this :-

If you buy an aftermarket front lamp and the high/low beam are opposite in the handlebar switch ,,Then trace the wires in the loom from the front light fixing and swap them over,,easy ..

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
theves and my bike

Post by CRMR » 11 Jan 2005, 16:20

When i go on holiday i lock it up to a ground ancore and a barrel of concrete,hower , just incase the bastards get the better of me.i also smear with an old credit card a lovely dollop of grease on both sides of both disks ,,If the bike dosent move , it comes off easy ,, If someone nickes it ,, There well and truly f***d.. :twisted: :twisted:

Alien
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Alien » 21 Jan 2006, 03:18

I do a lot of beaches (live on a island) and the saltwater takes a good bite
on the bike ..... NO PROBLEM !!!!!!

Silicon spray is the name of the game .....lots of silicon spray after each
wash ! But stay away from the brakepads or you end up in Atlantis!

rangtangtang
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by rangtangtang » 09 Feb 2006, 10:36

On hydraulic brake models, put a dab of grease on the front brake lever push pin where it contacts the master cylinder piston, this will improve the feel of the front brake as the push pin drags across the piston.

Replace the hydraulic brake and clutch fluid once each year to prevent gum and deposits from fouling the system, corroded calipers sometimes cannot be rebuilt, only replaced at a high cost.

Don’t leave your machine in gear to keep it from rolling in the back of the truck, this will damage the gearbox in a hurry. Utilize your parking brake or put a zip-tie around the front brake.

Service the rear suspension linkage and swingarm pivot bolt once a year, the factories don’t put enough grease in when they build the machine, and these parts are expensive to replace if they wear out.

Lube the chain just after a ride while the chain is still warm, the lubricant will penetrate better.

If you have stripped a 12mm oil drain bolt you can simply re-tap the hole to 14mm X 1.25 and replace the bolt with a Suzuki LT250R drain bolt.

Wash your bike after every ride, as you dry it off inspect all the fasteners and levers, ride the bike for a minute to dry out the brake pads. Apply WD40 to all the pivots, levers and exhaust pipe to prevent rust and premature wear.

When removing bearings from cases use a propane torch to heat the case or housing, this will make the housing let go of the bearing. Freeze the new bearing prior to installation, it will easily drop into its bore.

If you go riding in the mud often, or from time to time, spray under your bike, under fenders, etc with baby oil, mud will simply rinse off after the ride...(I like this one) takes hell out of \"de-'mudding' your ride
Its bad manners to speak with a mouth full, but its even worse to speak when the mind is empty

Alex_H
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Re: I can see this needing its own section so please read

Post by Alex_H » 02 Oct 2009, 12:21

Use dielectric grease in all your electrical connections behind the front light and under the tank, inside and outside of the plugs to keep mud, water and salt from rotting them away. Its cheap enough and can save alot of bother!

reeceyj31
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 crm

Post by reeceyj31 » 10 Mar 2013, 12:55

reading through it seems people are already doing this but with different methods, but after every ride clean the beast and give her a good spray over with wd40 all over (other than obvious place, discs, grips, seat) so when she gets muddy and it comes round to cleaning it all falls off. I have got some vaseline (no jokes) and have dabbed any electrical connections to prevent any dirt, dust, water you name it out.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 10 Mar 2013, 13:45

With you on that reeceyj31 but instead of WD40 i use "pro clean pro care" oil , if you do get it on the disk's you just have to be careful for a couple of miles until it's burnt off (not really recommended ) & instead of vaseline i use ACF50 ( bloody good stuff ) .

I find with the WD40/pro care the dirt sticks too it but wash's off alot easier .