I brought a stolen bike from a dealer

Post details here of any bikes that are stolen, so we can tell if a bike we are buying is stolen.
moto-moto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: I brought a stolen bike from a dealer

Post by moto-moto » 04 Mar 2010, 11:20

Update
Just phone up the old Bill and ran through the frame numbers and was told that "We've checked this to our National computer and the Police are not interested".
So now I will see what the DVLA do.

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 04 Mar 2010, 14:41

moto-moto wrote:Update
Just phone up the old Bill and ran through the frame numbers and was told that "We've checked this to our National computer and the Police are not interested".
So now I will see what the DVLA do.
I would try and get that in writing...
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

moto-moto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by moto-moto » 05 May 2010, 11:08

I went into my local station and got it checked again. All OK. Now I just have to get the log bog changed, as I still cannot ride it legally.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 May 2010, 17:52

:D Despite the agro, it sounds as though on this occasion you have been exceptionally lucky, get a lotto lucky dip tonight ;)
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

sherpatensing
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by sherpatensing » 08 May 2010, 08:42

You haven't said how you found the bikes true identity and that it's stolen. The genuine frame number has been overstamped by someone so how did you read the original number? The number that is now stamped is false so you cannot change your V5C to suit.

If the original number can be recovered, this will give you the correct registration mark. If it is stolen (more that seven years ago), the theft marker will not appear on the Police National Computer as the markers drop off after 4 years. Also if no DVLA activity has occurred then the complete vehicle record will drop off the system. I know a bit about this, as this is my job for the last 11 years.

It sounds as though your local Police are not bothered or haven't a clue.

hpm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hpm » 08 May 2010, 14:17

sherpatensing wrote:You haven't said how you found the bikes true identity and that it's stolen. The genuine frame number has been overstamped by someone so how did you read the original number? The number that is now stamped is false so you cannot change your V5C to suit.

If the original number can be recovered, this will give you the correct registration mark. If it is stolen (more that seven years ago), the theft marker will not appear on the Police National Computer as the markers drop off after 4 years. Also if no DVLA activity has occurred then the complete vehicle record will drop off the system. I know a bit about this, as this is my job for the last 11 years.

It sounds as though your local Police are not bothered or haven't a clue.
I had a bike stolen years ago, does this mean to keep it on the system I need to keep re-reporting it stolen to get it back if it does turn up??? that is rubbish if it is true, especially if theives are aware and stash them away knowing it will be ok to sell them down the road with no chance of it coming up as stolen :evil:

Also I think in this case it was just that the the V5 didn't match the number on the bike, not that it had been tampered with.

sherpatensing
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by sherpatensing » 08 May 2010, 18:03

Correct. Your stolen bike's PNC record will lapse, although DVLA will still have the record and this will carry the stolen marker. However, if after many years your stolen bike is found and the Police do a PNC check, it will come back as 'no trace'. If the officer is worth his salt, he will pass the enquiry to the Police vehicle examiners who will trace it using various methods.

[quote="moto-moto"]Just discovered that my bike has a tampered with frame and engine number and guess what? It doesn't match the log book.
[/quote]
Says in the first post that it's tampered with

moto-moto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by moto-moto » 16 Jun 2010, 22:49

Update: had a visit from the DVLA. To back track I had already asked the local police to check out the numbers for me and so was reasonably sure that I do not own stolen goods.

The DVLA revealed that a bike with my registration plate was imported from Germany and was new back in 1998. The trouble is that the VIN and engine number of that bike are not the ones on my bike. My frame number is apparently geniune, my engine number is not overstamped as we thought just fiendishly hard to read.

DVLA is going to check out some international databases of stolen bikes to see where on earth this bike comes from, but it seems as though it is an oddity.

So now I have to re-register my bike and providing that I can contact the right department at Honda and find out what year my lil' bike was manufactured I will get a proper plate and not a Q.

It strikes me that perhaps this bike was knicked from a dealer abroad or from a production line (I did not know until now that CRMs were actually manufactured outside Japan) and then came into the UK with a huge batch of other bikes and so was not checked off. Either that or my frame was not ever registed and there was one big cock-up when it was imported.

Anyway no nearer to getting to the truth or being able to ride legally.
p.s. Does anyone know who or how to get hold of Honda?

voodookid37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk1

Post by voodookid37 » 16 Jun 2010, 23:38

in all honesty i doubt if honda will help.....

i have stuck a link to this. (first section no.1) now there are others (i remember there was somewhere manchester or there about that provided the same service) i think it cost something like £30ish. in a nutshell they can get poof of age from some database or or similar from the manufacturer and provide the much needed age related documentation..

you mot,insure the bike and toddle off to a dvla centre ( sometimes they ask to inspect the bike). they issue an age related plate and take some money for the road tax from you.......job done

mot yours..cancel your insurance and take it out with a new company on the chassis no......toddle to dvla.....easy( do remeber to take your old no.plate and tax disc of though ( assuming the age related folks can provide the appropriate
document)

should avoid the dreaded "q"...... 8-)

motorcycle mechanics mag always good for those kind of tips/problems

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Articles/Va ... mport.aspx
mk1... with mk2.2 engine,running mk1 electrics,mk1 carb on standard mk1 jetting + settings.dep front pipe.jap alloy can of unknown make. twinair filter on plastic cage.l/h mk1 rad.r/h mk2 (extra coolant takeoff on 2.2 head)
xr650 wheels .gritty front,mitas rear

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Jun 2010, 08:43

All CRMs were made in Japan. By imported from Germany they mean it went to Germany first and was registered there :?: .

Lots of people will give you 'official' letters that DVLA will accept re manufacturing date. I used Leicester motorcycles to provide me with a dating certificate for one of my bikes. I'm afraid I don't have the contact details but I provided them with photos of all relevent frame and engine markings and paid £25.

Loads of companies if you Google 'motorcycle dating certificate'. Quite easy once you have got this. I registered a bike as an 'off road bike' as this exempts you from lots of paper work but you will need to have a certain minimum seat height and ground clearance (DVLA will tell you what these are). Though I found, going to the same DVLA station, that I got asked for different information by different people until I got to know the correct format/process.

wheelright
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2

Post by wheelright » 28 Jun 2010, 04:33

I know this is an old topic, however you have all missed a definate line of action, HAD the bike indeed been stolen or been a ringer and the purchaser had the receipt showing the numbers when bought are the same now, the dealer is liable, period, me, i would have just gone in there with my lawyer, said i would like a full refund please or its off to court and the newspaper we go, ill guarantee he would have got all his money back, no matter how much time had lapsed, i have personal experience to confirm this,

moto-moto
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by moto-moto » 17 Apr 2014, 09:35

I forgot about this posting - I'll complete the loop on this story. It was fine in the end but it took a lot to get it sorted. The bike was not stolen or tampered with...
I phoned up the DVLA, they came and inspected it. I tracked the vehicle back to Honda. There had basically been a massive cock-up on the paperwork when it was imported and no one had thought to check the numbers to the documentation (me included when I brought the bike). Honda confirmed the numbers, year of manufacture etc, DVLA gave me new paperwork, I paid a fee and I was given a new R reg numberplate.

I guess these days when you buy a bike you can now do an online search.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 20 Apr 2014, 13:30

good end to the sage, however its a good job you were not involved in an accident when riding the bike, as you were not insured........