honda crm 250 red 1989 dunstable bedfordshire stolen GUTTED

Post details here of any bikes that are stolen, so we can tell if a bike we are buying is stolen.
xander
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Re: honda crm 250 red 1989 dunstable bedfordshire stolen GUTTED

Post by xander » 17 May 2010, 10:55

pretty much how it happened with me. Even though they found my bike only a few miles away from where it was nicked and I could have picked it up and ridden it home, the police still insised on me picking it up form a recovery place and paying £150 for the privilege. I think it was so they could dust it for prints/razz it round in their lunchbreak/whatever the police do other than sit around in camera vans. That's the main cost I was trying to get back, along with the cost of a new numberplate etc. The police already had the guy in custody for some other things and said they'd add that on so I could get my costs back. I seriously doubt you'll ever get that money back as the police just don't seem interested. By the way they'll probably ask you to give them your fingerprints if they haven't already. They asked for my prints to help "eliminate me from enquiries". Since I assumed all government agencies enjoy leaving that sort of info on trains/taxis etc I refused. Don't know whether that helped or hindered me but I figure its best to compare notes, see if policing is universally rubbish or just some forces.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 17 May 2010, 12:41

In the past 20 years i`ve had 4 vehicles stolen, a honda c70.. haha, i was only 17! 2 cars, an a transit van. The transit was about 7 years ago, the others were many years ago. The Police never recovered any of them. Luckily, 3 of the vehicles were dumped a couple of miles down the road, the Police rang me an told me were they were. So i went to pick em up. I had to wait a day to pick the transit up cos they were doin fingerprints etc, but they did it where the van was. None of this recovery lark. Its just another way to extract our hard earned coin.

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 17 May 2010, 14:56

EXCELLENT NEWS,
as the police didnt tell me about the recover charges ,they have paid the lot so all i have to do now is collect my bike,excellent ,well chuffted with that they phoned me today,cheers for all the resonces,the fact i told them i was going to the papers and radio probably helped,so now only have to pay to get it picked up,and get it fixed ,still better than paying out £230 quid ,

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 17 May 2010, 16:34

also i would like to thank everyone for being so helpful ,i really do appreciate it,especially knakered .as hes sent me a ignition barell free of charge,i said i would pay but he refused,absolutely top bloke,
its good to no theres a good lot of people,who stick together,
rather than just rob of each other,

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 18 May 2010, 11:28

just got the bike back worse condition than i thought,
so now im after a clock set,front light,bit that goes round the ignition,petrol cap,seat or cover,rear light,indercatiors ,going to try and get the bike runing shortly,
or the other option is either brake it or sell it as a field bike with v5 ,they nicked the tax disc aswell bastards

also when i try and get it started the ignitions completely gone ,so what wires doi conecct as i could be kicking it over and it wont be turned on ,thanks again phill

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 18 May 2010, 11:47

:cry: :cry: Sorry to hear.

Least cost options -

Speedo - Halfords pedal bike speedo ~£10.
Complete front light - eBay 'enduro' light ~£35.
Petrol cap - MTX125 from scrappy (no lock).
Rear light - Same as front ~ £25
Indicators - Don't need them if you don't carry a passenger.
Seat cover - Don't know :?: .

I'm sure other people have more options :?:

You should be able to find where they disconected the ignition. Will be 2 wires one green and one red. Connect these together with a piece of wire and it should work.

If breaking is an option. I guess that you would get ~ £500 depending on condition. Someone else have an opinion :?: .

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 18 May 2010, 17:27

right finally got it started after about hour and a half,the clutch has gone .great,
took the clutch out finally after doing wrong sides ect lol and it fellout in my hand in bits guess thats broke,so need one of them aswell ,and for sum reason they have changed the front wheel

xander
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by xander » 19 May 2010, 10:54

clutch hub I guess is what you are talking about? It's £70 from leisure trail....
seat covers from danger Uk are £29 for a plain gripper cover.

glad you managed to dodge some of the costs! Shame the bike's not A-OK.

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 19 May 2010, 11:22

decided to go through insurance in the end got someone coming out next week.to inspect it ,but insurance said it will be a loss,does any1 no if i have to declare the claim to my car insurance?
also any rough idea how much it will cost to buy the bike back,as i told my insurance thats what i will do,cheers again for any help

xander
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by xander » 19 May 2010, 13:57

It'll be interesting to see what the insurance think its worth.
With regards to insurance, I told my car insurance about a bike accident I had and they said it wasn't important as it was on a bike policy and therfore nothing to do with a car. I don't know how it stands legally though.

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 19 May 2010, 16:58

hi again,been ont he phone the insurance again
they said look on auto trader ect same year ect for prices then take of your excess and thats what you will get roughly,
been looking up online and lots of forums,say dont except the first or second offer.have too deal with that bridge when i come to it,
also noticed tax disc has been stolen,dont no weather its worth reporting as i dont want to pay£7 for a new one ,as it was kept in storage under the mudguard,never on show,
thing im worried about is the person who nicked my bike has my number plate and tax disc,
and now its declared not stolen they could stick it on there new ,probably stolen bike and ride it around

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 19 May 2010, 17:33

Are they talking trade or private sale prices :?: .

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 19 May 2010, 19:58

they said look on autotrader prices.couldnt see me geting much ,if its to low will cancel the claim if i can,hoping it wont cost to much to buy the bike back

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 19 May 2010, 21:40

Have a look on the buy it nows on ebay, its worth less than what you think and more than what the insurance think, so i reckon the value is inbetween. Gotta be worth 800 quid ish? That seems to be the going rate, unless it was truly mint.

As regards the car insurance, they really should be told about any claim, whether its a bike, lorry, zeppelin etc. They might not add any more to your car insurance, but if they found out about it if you had a car claim, they might use it against you. Best just to tell em.

phillthecrm250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by phillthecrm250 » 19 May 2010, 22:23

it was not mint ,it was truely a enduro on-off road bike,
but a good runner and kept going,and it will again fingers crossted
£800 is what i was hoping for minus excess of £175 around £600 hopefully
just cant find the milage out,so dont no what to tell the insurance no previous mot papers and no clocks,and have no clue what it was ,so dont no what to tell them
any help ,cheers again for replys