Stolen Bikes

Post details here of any bikes that are stolen, so we can tell if a bike we are buying is stolen.
helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)
Stolen Bikes

Post by helisupp » 29 Aug 2012, 17:34

How do we stop people selling parts from stolen bikes, the modern scumbags throw the frames away and strip engines down into piece parts.

I have purchased quite a few parts from the web (always keep all contact details and research address) and always will, but you never know if that swingarm or footrests are from a suspect bike, there is no guarantee of where the parts came from. No real punishment when the thieves get caught so no deterrent from the law.

My bikes are behind locked gates, 1 locked and anchored garage door, fully chained, garage alarmed and noise sensor-ed, CCTV installed and all bikes smart watered. Plus I work from home which helps, and have seen quite a few dodgy doorbell ringers and cruising vans over the past 15 years during the day and as soon as they see the CCTV all around the premises they soon disappear.

But look at the cost of security and they still get the bikes, some of my friends have had road bikes stolen in crazy secure situations. I even had someone try and steal my road bike while I was stood next to it at a bike meeting, then a different thief (with helmet already on) stole the one a few bikes along which was on a test ride for Superbike Magazine.

My 2000 model Yamaha R1 was the first R1 stolen in the UK according to Carol Nash, it was 10 days old, I had a rear puncture on a main A road but no mobile phone (never again) and got a lift from my riding buddy half a mile to a garage in Dursley to make a call, bike was gone when I got back which took less than 10 minutes, broad daylight during the week.

Well must stop ranting but security measures are getting a little expensive.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Stolen Bikes

Post by twistednuts » 29 Aug 2012, 19:36

Unfortunately theres not a great deal we can do about it, just make sure everythings well insured should it happen. Which isnt totally fair in your case because you would have lots of uninsured losses, time, parts etc.

Guess we just got to make it as hard as possible. I have lots of measures in place which i dont really want to divulge publicly.

In the end, if they want it they'll get it. Its ok wiring the shed to the mains etc but you'll just get yourself sued and prisoned etc and while your inside they'll come back for your bike :(

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 29 Aug 2012, 19:43

Shari a law ;) Oh yes, trying to ride with no hands sucks, and you're gonna need some really good friends for when you take a dump :roll:
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 29 Aug 2012, 21:45

Great idea Mike, but then they'll spend the rest of thier sorry lives claiming fulll disability allowance, an cost the country a fortune.

Theyd probably get a free home help to wipe thier bums an all...

Now, if you chopped off thier heads instead...

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 29 Aug 2012, 21:52

fmtb +1
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 j reg 91

Post by briangoo » 31 Aug 2012, 20:01

can i do the chopping please with a blunt blade. thanks

voodookid37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk1

Post by voodookid37 » 31 Aug 2012, 20:19

briangoo wrote:can i do the chopping please with a blunt blade. thanks
offers to open the scottish branch... ;)
mk1... with mk2.2 engine,running mk1 electrics,mk1 carb on standard mk1 jetting + settings.dep front pipe.jap alloy can of unknown make. twinair filter on plastic cage.l/h mk1 rad.r/h mk2 (extra coolant takeoff on 2.2 head)
xr650 wheels .gritty front,mitas rear