no projects ? I need inspiration

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3 CRM

Post by abigsupermoto » 20 Apr 2007, 08:46

I did replace the foam (got a secondhand seat which was ripped, but the foam ok) and the head lamp is an Acerbis ghibli from race spec, if I remember rightly :lol:

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 11 Jun 2007, 20:47

OK your bike looks great, so please tell me where you got the crash bungs on your axles ,are they a kit or home made everywhere I tried only did them for crf's they have hollow axles. :D

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by abigsupermoto » 13 Jun 2007, 09:12

Home made, mate, get some stud iron from b&q or somewhere....about 3 quid for a metre length (the front is only about 6mm in diameter the rear is 8mm i think) and some skate board wheels (got mine off a mini skate board that asda were selling for 4 quid a while ago) some nylock nuts and washers and some sort of spacer to space the bungs out to make them look equal :wink:

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 14 Jun 2007, 21:47

I thought they looked like skate wheels which believe it or not was what the very first crash bungs were made of. I assume you threaded the ends of the axles , was that easy? did you drill them then tap em? or did you get an engineer on the job. possibly more cosmetic than functional which is fine by me I dont intend to drop mine. :lol:

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by abigsupermoto » 15 Jun 2007, 08:45

I just ran the stud iron right through the axles and bolted them at either end........and they do work as I used the same set up on my xr and apart from scraping my bungs and handguards the XR was completely unharmed (30 mph spill on tarmac :o )

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 19 Jun 2007, 20:25

do your axles already have holes through them or do you drill them yourself? :?:

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 19 Jun 2007, 20:33

I'm well fed up with my project wheels the engineer just told me theyve got busy again, so I'm going to find me another man for the job moneys no object.I want them done!

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by abigsupermoto » 20 Jun 2007, 16:26

Slasher wrote:do your axles already have holes through them or do you drill them yourself? :?:
Already have holes through them :wink:

bad news about the engineer you are using, I hope you get them sorted soon :roll:

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 22 Jun 2007, 20:11

absolutly f------ off finally engineer was going to do my wheels but it turned out that the front wheel has got a buckle so Im stuffing the lot and buying a set of new ones.IT would have worked but I'm not waiting any longer or wasting any more money.

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by abigsupermoto » 23 Jun 2007, 08:18

Thats a shame they would have looked quite good too....I have the same problem with the motard wheels i bought, the front has a buckle in it 4.5 mm run out :( .....I have just bought another set of rims, which I am lacing to the hubs, so should be sorted soon (if I can find the time to do it :? )

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 23 Jun 2007, 22:10

have you tried hagon theycan fix most wheels £40 unless it has a flat spot.I dont believe how stupid I am I've just noticed the holes through the axles so I'll be copying you if you dont mind. :oops:

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by abigsupermoto » 24 Jun 2007, 09:56

Slasher wrote: I've just noticed the holes through the axles so I'll be copying you if you dont mind. :oops:
not at all it seems the easiest way to do it :wink:

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 18 Jul 2007, 20:43

it's back on, just found another engineer just around the corner,I'm using an old type cagiva mito 125 rear wheel -abigsupermoto's old project wheels which luckily have all the same specs as the ones I was originally using so the spacers I made will fit[after the engineer has had them ,£30 job done by the end of the week].I have a 3 spoke fireblade wheel for the front which I got cheap,the rim looks the same but the spoke design tapers a little different but luckily has a similar groove running down on it.I figured by the time I spray it silver to match the fireblade wheel plus discs , and sprockets on you wont notice.stroke of luck at the powder coaters today when taking my tank to go from purple to white, I asked if they had a silver to match the fireblade wheel,they said no,but after telling them my sad tale that I could not use my expensive [now £80 per wheel] crome powder coated wheels he said no prob I'll do it half price for both new wheels, which being crome should reflect more light and make any diferences between wheels less obvious.after 7 months I feel I'm getting somewhere.anyone want to buy a crome coated 6 spoke cagiva rear wheel :?: I'll keep the site posted on how it goes. :D

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 13 Aug 2007, 20:45

finally rear wheel is done fits perfect looks good, front wheel has been engineerd just waiting at powder coaters, only decision do I redrill holes on cagiva disc to fit cbr disc mount and space in by 5mm the caliper bracket witch is to be changed for a 320mm disc coversion item.or for £170, stealth discs can make one with the right bolt holes and wavy so that I dont need to space in the caliper. :?: