CRM SM: Honda Dommie wheels. Work in progress!

crasher76
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
CRM SM: Honda Dommie wheels. Work in progress!

Post by crasher76 » 01 Jun 2007, 12:32

Given up waiting for a set of CRM/XR hub rims, so i took a gamble and won a set of dommie 17's on ebay, £230 all in. pretty pleased. Mich Hisports look unworn (if a little hard) they will do for the moment. spangly gold akront rims are class! Cast iron disc is 256mm, so that will be turned down to 240mm. Future upgrade will see a big disc! Stealth discs have quoted me for either 280mm / 320mm disc with dommie spacing:

solid: £79.99
Floating: £199.99

probably go for solid option, waiting for a Talon XR caliper adaptor to turn up on ebay first.

rear Dommie hub bearing is 17mm and the rim slots in with reasonable distance to either side, brake disc is same size and slots into caliper.

dommie hubs have different number of spokes compared to CRM so a CRM hub cannot be grafted to the rim (first idea!)

chain guard bracket on inside of swingarm needs cutting off

Cush drive rubbers and sprocket carrier needs buying before fitting can start.

front dommie hub bearing has 15mm inner diameter, outer diameter same as CRM so simple job of dropping a set of CRM bearings in. speedo drive looks identical.

Front wheel spacer that sits between bearings needs taking out to 17mm, then i just need a set of 4 wheel spacers once everything is lined up.

hopefully a relatively straight swop!!

I will keep you updated with pics...

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 01 Jun 2007, 12:45

Nice one Crasher :D Keep us informed how you get on.
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 01 Jun 2007, 20:16

when you say dommie what bike is that ? do you mean dominater 650?because i thought they were the same as my spare fmx 650 hubs but with 17\" rims.ebc make the caliper bracket for a 320 disc for £65.good luck anyway. :o

crasher76
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by crasher76 » 03 Jun 2007, 20:02

honda nx650, could be the same? is there trouble ahead!?

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 04 Jun 2007, 21:13

unless I'm wrong about my fmx hubs being the same as the nx 650 I think you may find that if you can get the wheel between the rear swing arm the brake disc needs to be miled in 10mm ,the wheel is ok in the centre , and the sprocket will be in line but you will have to take about10 mm off the sprocket side hub to make this all line up,dont worry I believe it is possible to do this but you also need to set that bearing in by 10mm and reduce the internal spacer buy the same.the front should go straight in but the disc will be to far over by 10mm, you can either mill off this or make an adapter bracket like others on this site.I believe original discs should fit on those hubs to save you some hassle.I think you have brought some converted wheels,I believe you buy an extra rear wheel and use the rim on the front, or you may have brought some after market wheels in which case forget everything I said.please keep me informed and good luck.

crasher76
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by crasher76 » 23 Jul 2007, 16:45

Didn't work! rear hub was too wide even with milling of cush drive to bare minimum...

tried bidding on pukka sets of wheels on ebay but they are fetching 400quid+

took drastic action and won auction for a tidy (i hope!) XR250 with pukka SM wheels for 695. plan to strip the wheels off, stick knobblies back on, MoT it and punt it on (hopefully for a few quid) looking at WEmoto the inner bearings are diff sizes! never straight forward :o(

let you know how this progresses.

Slasher
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Slasher » 24 Jul 2007, 20:32

how was the front wheel on the dommie was it how I said , disc being off 10 mm.you cant get bearings which will make a perfect change,you have to get bearing sleaves made like I'm now doing to my firestorm front wheel .good luck anyway and keep us posted. :D

crasher76
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by crasher76 » 27 Jul 2007, 20:29

front dropped in, but 'ears' on hub for brake disc bolts clonked on caliper. rim +tyre only had a few mm clearance with fork uppers on fork compression. didn't fancy that considering at speed and hard cornering the wheel will move slightly in relation to the hub.