Knackered's Project - Nabz's Bike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Knackered's Project - Nabz's Bike

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Dec 2010, 15:06

This is basically Nabz's Mk3 (see elsewhere) in boxes, and put back togther with a twist. Needs lots of new bearings, new tyres and all 'disposables.' Putting pictures and details of what has been done in other rebuilds of a Mk3/AR using a 96'CR subframe, airbox, tank etc.....

Have been spending time on replacing bearings, reconditioning parts and buying new ones.

Progress -

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Re: Knackered's New Project - Nabz's Bike

Post by knackeredMk1 » 20 Dec 2010, 10:37

Got all the parts I need to remodel subframe/seat/tank. Initial panic as could not see how they all fit together but now calmer. Will take more work than I had originally thought but it is certainly doable and will look factory made like the Mk1. End result should be a little more modern looking, a lot lighter and much easier/cheaper to get spare parts/plastics for.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Jan 2011, 14:02

Making progress ;) . Front end now pretty much sorted. Front brakes are on with new braided SS hose and new pads + bled. Engine in minus head. Sorry it's a bit cramped but the weather is not condusive of outside photography at the moment :!: .

The eagle eyed will have spotted the 4 CRM barrels I have been using for the 'Porting and Engine Tuning' thread I have been working on.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Frame & Subframe Modifications

Post by knackeredMk1 » 18 Jan 2011, 13:46

Nice day today so got a chance to get outside and do some work.

I am fitting a CR250 94/96 subframe, airbox, seat and tank to my Mk3. The idea is to reduce weight but also to fit CR plastics which are much more readily available (and will be for some time to come) and very much cheaper to replace. I began by lining up the tank and fitting the rad shrouds onto the tank and radiators. This gives me a fixed starting point to get everything lined up. I then line up the seat with the tank and try to line up the subframe. I use the old subframe fitted with the old mudguard to get a height and distance fix above various fixed points on the frame and swingarm to get the new subframe/mudguard to the right place.

This is the new mounts (just tacked on at the moment) I have made on the subframe. I will cut off the old ends before I finally get round to fitting it. I will have to cut the longer (LHS) lower fixing arm as it was too long and reweld it shorter. Fortunately the RHS lines up perfectly :) .

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Seat

Post by knackeredMk1 » 18 Jan 2011, 14:04

I thought I could use the original seat but the base just wouldn't fit. So bought a secondhand CR seat but had to replace the cover and the foam. Total cost £160 :!: . (New from Honda £270).

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 19 Jan 2011, 16:33

No further work but thought I might loosely put it together to get a look at what it would be like. Lots to tidy up and tank polish but I think it's OK so far.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Subframe Continued

Post by knackeredMk1 » 29 Jan 2011, 14:44

Welded the subframe today. I lined the M10 upper and lower mounts with stainless steel tube to get them down to the CRM's M8 fixings.

I also cut to length the LHS lower arm.

Almost finished subframe ready for sanding down and powdercoating. I still have to cut the original top mounts off. I will then plug them with plastic stops.

(No shoe jokes please :roll: . Heard them all before ;) ).

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 30 Jan 2011, 11:26

Slapped together again. Done about 3 hours practical work on it since last put together but it takes longer working out what needs to be done and how to do it.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Finished engine, Oil & Cooling Circuits

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Feb 2011, 21:28

Engine finished, 2 Stroke and cooling circuits piped in + new throttle cable. Waiting on subframe to come back from the powdercoaters to finalise tank mounting. After that I need to make some alternative mounting points for the Reg/Rec and ECU, connect up the PV servo and finish the wiring for the lights.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Subframe Powdercoated

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Feb 2011, 11:12

Back from powdercoating.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 13 Feb 2011, 14:08

Final subframe in position using original frame subframe mounts with air box fitted. Also fitted new chain and sprockets + new clutch cable.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 13 Feb 2011, 16:18

Found a really good place to put the ECU. Between the airbox sound baffle and the outside of the airbox. Very secure and minimal ingress of mud/water/etc.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
She lives!.

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Feb 2011, 12:35

She lives :D . Started first kick, and I really do mean first :!: .

No pictures as I want to show her in all her glory and I've still got quite a few things to do ..........

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 26 Feb 2011, 16:20

All lights working :D .

Polisport Halo Enduro headlight. Halogen H4 bulb. Much brighter than original :) .

UFO LED tail light. As on my Mk1.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 Feb 2011, 21:52

Almost finished :) . Couldn't resist taking a photo :roll: . Needs pegs and exhaust mount........... Proper photos later in the week :D . Side panels are my own design following on from the FX radiator shrouds.