speedo on motard

madmanreevo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm 2.2
speedo on motard

Post by madmanreevo » 02 Sep 2010, 23:25

Well in process of doing a deal with guy to get SM wheels polished rims built on OEM hubs wavey disc's, found site for talon bracket.....looked at tyres think i saw continentals recommended for light SM.
Now with small wheels the speedo will be wrong?? ... has anyone done anything about this or do you just guess speed :o
3rd CRM250 MK2, rebuilt incl Braided hoses,powdercoated,one off bronze swingarm bushes,taper head bearings,hard chromed fork, poweredcoated rear spring and rebuilt. custom graphics, also own TL1000s, Aprillia RS250 (300 kit stage 3 tuned), Yamaha RD400c

capt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: speedo on motard

Post by capt » 03 Sep 2010, 08:13

LT have stickers for speedo.
-20mph for 17inch wheels is near as dam it.

the issue is the speedo cable is to long as you will see when you ride. :lol:

I will be intrested to hear your thoughts when @ 70 on the motorway? and in heavy traffic
"angery wasp"mine is :evil:

I think the bike does not turn in fast enough for road use with 17inch because of the frame rake is wrong

I am putting the standard wheels and gearing back on my bike I have had enough of it I am going to sell my supermoto set up.

The whole peice with 17inch wheels, I have found a little bit disapointing :OMG

but on a good note you will be scared-good luck :arrow:

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Sep 2010, 08:26

Don't understand the 'slow to turn in' Capt. Physics says that 17 inch wheels will mean that the bike turns in quicker. This is what I and every other SM wheel rider that I know of have found.

The only thing I can put it down to is that tyre pressures are much more critical on road tyres. E.g. My setup feels very heavy to turn in at 28 psi on the front but is much better at 32psi :?: . If you have put standard trail bike 'road' pressures in it will be very difficult to induce steering.

wheelright
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm mk2

Post by wheelright » 03 Sep 2010, 09:16

Agree with above, seems odd, also check you have the correct tyre sizes , if the back is low for any reason that will slow the steering,

Paul P
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Paul P » 05 Sep 2010, 03:21

the issue is the speedo cable is to long as you will see when you ride. :lol:

Capt I dont understand how the speedo cable could be to long , 17'' front or 21'' the hub is in the same place !

I'm also interested in this speedo issue as I have built my 17''s on standard hubs - On my car you can change the gear in the transmission that runs the speedo to read correctly if you have changed the diff ratio

I might be worth looking into which speedo the xr 400 motard use's ,I have not seen one in the flesh but they run 17''s from the factroy
and from what I've seen in pictures the speedo cable setup looks identical as do the forks and quite a few other parts !

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y33 ... ard-1g.jpg

capt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by capt » 05 Sep 2010, 08:54

I have changed the presser in front wheel and that has fixed it,it rides much better :lol: I should have thought about this just missed it :lol:
The speedo cable - when you look down at the front its hanging out like a flag :cry:

I just had a look at the XR400 picture and that looks shorter? When I got the wheels it encluded the speedo drive-spacers-cable.

I was told from the guy I got them from ,they were removed from an XR400 but aftermarket types-not sure what year bike.

The wheels are 3.5/4.5 150 rear

If I have the site membership level to add pictures I will add some of my bike and wheels.

I have never had a look at an XR400,nice looking bike-some parts are the same as CRM's I have seen on here ,I do like the headlight surround and now wondering about the fork protecters :?:

Its a nice day today here at Sevenoaks :idea: got a few jobs to do in doors and then its CRM time.

I do like the CR500AF service honda what a tool!but what a price.