MK2 - Project rebuild - Thailand

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3
Re: MK2 - Project rebuild - Thailand

Post by njhardy » 30 Nov 2011, 08:05

Its a pain, but I always take one of my older 'bone domes' with me when I travel- oh and a pair of decent gloves. Yes, its hot and sticky, but once you get moving, its actually fine. If you wear shorts/t-shirt for any amount of time, you get sunburnt badly anyhow, so its just better to cover up!! Burns from exhaust pipes and falling off with flip-flops and shorts aint funny!! Believe it or not, I were full vented body armour, boots, neck brace- the lot..even if its 45 degrees. Still won't help you if you get run over from behind though- seen that happen twice here...Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and keep it in the power band!!

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 30 Nov 2011, 17:21

sound advice nj , and check your holiday insurance covers you to ride bikes as alot dont
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

badcat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by badcat » 01 Dec 2011, 11:08

I've got a few broken bikes in Hong Kong if you need some parts??

flash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by flash » 02 Dec 2011, 04:56

Sorry all have been away for a week to escape the floods!! I live in Bangkok but have had little chance to go off-roading due to my bike being in bits - as you say there are places that do treks etc but you are limited to max 250cc 4 strokes which I dont feel have enough guts to get you out of situations or comfortable airbourne!! It is a nightmare here driving on the road - I have a fireblade also - I never go out without gear on - i tend to wear motorcross gear as it is cooler - half the enjoyment of riding here is the fact you have to be 100% aware of other peoplers actions on the road - they really havent got a clue - and its everyone for themselves!! Thanks badcat - I will contact you once i get my engines stripped to see what i need - think most other parts I have sourced??? Take care all - Flash

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 02 Dec 2011, 08:12

Sounds tempting badcat- I'm not too far away in 'Nam if you have some bits- maybe if I need some parts I could get them FEDEX'd out at my expense??? At the mo the 'old girl' looks sexy with her re-spray, but is running like an asthmatic badger- I have a new TRX piston from knackered and a rebore on the way when I get back to the UK, which I hope will cure things... When I get the engine into bits, I may be in contact with you if I need some things....

Nick

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 02 Dec 2011, 08:19

Flash- you should try riding in 'Nam- its worse!! At least you have some nice tarmac in places in Thai....The roads here are in a terrible state here and the standard of driving is non-existent!! Chickens, kids and pigs in the road too.. Bloody coppers are gangsters aswell- they fine you (or at least try and stop you on their twin 250's!!) because anything that's not a Honda Wave or scoota means you've got cash to give'em.....Its a headache. Insurance- you must be joking!! You can't even OWN a bike out here, unless you are Vietnamese...

badcat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by badcat » 02 Dec 2011, 08:46

no worries Nick, think I've got a couple of MK2 engines unopened, will have to check my stock :)

badcat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by badcat » 02 Dec 2011, 08:53

forgot to mention, if you want original parts from Honda we have a great shop in Hong Kong, legendary in fact, can usually get parts within a week from Japan, when I was motocrossing break the bike Sunday, order the parts Monday fix the bike Saturday, great service
Sanwa motorcycle centre
http://www.facebook.com/Sanwa.Motorcycle.Co
also the local Bridgestone dealer for yer Gritty's ;)

badcat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by badcat » 02 Dec 2011, 08:57