MK2 - Project rebuild - Thailand

flash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
MK2 - Project rebuild - Thailand

Post by flash » 20 Nov 2011, 10:41

Hi all - am rebuilding my MK2 here in Thailand - bit of a nightmare as sourcing parts real difficult and high import taxes!! I have had the frame and exhaust chromed, swing arm and other parts polished. Am currently up to half a rolling chassis with a long way to go - here are a couple of pics for now - regards Flash

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... G_0091.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... G_0093.jpg

voodookid37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk1
Re: MK2 - Project rebuild - Thailand

Post by voodookid37 » 20 Nov 2011, 20:10

that's different for sure... :D

be a nightmare over here to keep clean and salt free. :o

looking good so far....
mk1... with mk2.2 engine,running mk1 electrics,mk1 carb on standard mk1 jetting + settings.dep front pipe.jap alloy can of unknown make. twinair filter on plastic cage.l/h mk1 rad.r/h mk2 (extra coolant takeoff on 2.2 head)
xr650 wheels .gritty front,mitas rear

bodland
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bodland » 21 Nov 2011, 18:34

that looks sweet as... what is the finish on the frame?

flash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by flash » 22 Nov 2011, 05:15

Thanks - is Chrome plated

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM250 Mk3

Post by njhardy » 22 Nov 2011, 09:12

Looks sexy!! Do you see many CRM's in Thailand?? I'm in 'Nam and I think I'm the only one over here!! -Parts are impossible- have to get them over in UK...

flash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by flash » 22 Nov 2011, 09:57

Have only seen one before - parts a nightmare here also - went all round breakers in Bangkok yesterday looking for engine parts - couldnt find a bean!! Have managed to source odd parts from www.Taobao.com (Chinese site) - worth a look - just put crm250 into search - you can translate using google translate toolbar or if using google chrome does automatic.
Is good to hear from you - hope you are enjoying life there - have not been but intend to go in near future - heard its real nice there! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with - we're not too far apart.
Take care yeh
Flash

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 22 Nov 2011, 11:49

Cheers flash- I've just spent about 3 months rebuilding mine with very limited resources here- she was in a right old mess. Loads of motocross guys over here, but virtually no 2 strokers and very little talent in riding!!- but I love my little CRM!! If only I could get her reliable- she is really high maintenance and loves stopping in the most inhospitable places on the trail!!- I'm getting a bit of a ribbing from all the posers out there! I'm going to get her re-bored in the UK and new TRX piston (thanks Knackered) , bearings, jets, needles, hoses, cables, clutch plates this summer. Hopefully, she will fly and waste a lot of posers on their bloody 450 thumpers in the jungle, where she is awesome with a 52 back sprocket....

Just to keep you company with the shiny idea, I have polished up my cylinder and head and have my Pro-circuit chromed pipe on her too!! If you come over- give us an email and we will meet up for a beer!!

Nick

bodland
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bodland » 26 Nov 2011, 01:04

flash, where do you ride in thailand?
i have rented a few crossers in thailand but iv only got hold of tame 4 strokes... iv been to ko samet twice, only the port is tarmac'd and the rest of the island is mud and hills! i felt like a king compared to all the scooters with knobbles, and i was on a 250 4stroke!! only wearing shorts and trainers as they didnt rent helmets! a lot of fun but a bit on the scary side :p

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 26 Nov 2011, 10:44

Bodland: The one thing you DEFINATELY need in Asia is a decent helmet!! I have seen soooo many really nasty accidents out here in Nam, Cambodia and Thailand- you are just crazy not to wear protection...its not IF you have an accident, it's WHEN!!! I just despair at the holiday makers that hire bikes and ride around in a strange country, on a strange bike, on unknown routes, with crazy local driving standards and still ride in flip-flops and no helmet....

bodland
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bodland » 26 Nov 2011, 18:32

very true, and i have crashed twice in thailand, once on a ped, and once on a chopper, i was lucky to come off with cuts and bruises...

i know this sounds crazy but it feels normal to wear no protection and even very little clothing when riding in thailand... i guess its the hot sticky weather and the fact that every one does the same, and that holiday atmosphere that makes you overconfident!!
although, not having protection does raise my concentration to an extremely high level...

iv never lived over there which would be different, i usual visit once a year and wear a helmet when available. ko samet is so laid back they dont have helmets, but i would definatley recommend going there, a true paridise. you could always take your own lid...

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 30 Nov 2011, 08:05

Its a pain, but I always take one of my older 'bone domes' with me when I travel- oh and a pair of decent gloves. Yes, its hot and sticky, but once you get moving, its actually fine. If you wear shorts/t-shirt for any amount of time, you get sunburnt badly anyhow, so its just better to cover up!! Burns from exhaust pipes and falling off with flip-flops and shorts aint funny!! Believe it or not, I were full vented body armour, boots, neck brace- the lot..even if its 45 degrees. Still won't help you if you get run over from behind though- seen that happen twice here...Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and keep it in the power band!!

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 30 Nov 2011, 17:21

sound advice nj , and check your holiday insurance covers you to ride bikes as alot dont
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

badcat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by badcat » 01 Dec 2011, 11:08

I've got a few broken bikes in Hong Kong if you need some parts??

flash
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by flash » 02 Dec 2011, 04:56

Sorry all have been away for a week to escape the floods!! I live in Bangkok but have had little chance to go off-roading due to my bike being in bits - as you say there are places that do treks etc but you are limited to max 250cc 4 strokes which I dont feel have enough guts to get you out of situations or comfortable airbourne!! It is a nightmare here driving on the road - I have a fireblade also - I never go out without gear on - i tend to wear motorcross gear as it is cooler - half the enjoyment of riding here is the fact you have to be 100% aware of other peoplers actions on the road - they really havent got a clue - and its everyone for themselves!! Thanks badcat - I will contact you once i get my engines stripped to see what i need - think most other parts I have sourced??? Take care all - Flash

njhardy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by njhardy » 02 Dec 2011, 08:12

Sounds tempting badcat- I'm not too far away in 'Nam if you have some bits- maybe if I need some parts I could get them FEDEX'd out at my expense??? At the mo the 'old girl' looks sexy with her re-spray, but is running like an asthmatic badger- I have a new TRX piston from knackered and a rebore on the way when I get back to the UK, which I hope will cure things... When I get the engine into bits, I may be in contact with you if I need some things....

Nick