Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2 CRM 250
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:21

The next task that I started with, was sorting out the radiator fins. This was one of those tasks I wished I hadn't started, but I am sure it is a contributor to why the bikes over heat when moving slowly.
The radiator fins on both my radiators wasn't letting the air through so that's a good rainy evening job to straighten up:

With the bearings out of the swingarm and the lower suspension linkage, I sourced new replacement bearings along with new bushes and seals to replace the lot.
After having a shock how much that all came to, I decided that it’s never seeing mud as I don't want to replace them again ;) I set about fitting the bearings and making sure that they are well greased.

Quite obvious in hindsight, but remove the seal before trying to remove the bearing, does make things alot easier!

With the moving bits ready, I got the frame and rear subframe ready for powder coating.
Trying to save a few pennies on the powder coating, I made sure that the frame was as clean as practical and blanked up all the threaded parts.
Then I made some protective plates to protect the head bearing races.

With the frame and rear subframe prepared, along with the other assorted parts I had ready previously, I took them down to the powder coaters.

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:21

Later in the week I got a call that my cylinder barrel had been re bored and was in the post.
When it arrived I set about rebuilding the top end:

I popped the piston in:

And then the piston rings:

And then put it all together:

All ready to be placed inside the frame when back from powder coaters.

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:22

As I had a bit of spare time, I set about giving the exhaust a lick of paint over where I had patched it, to give it a fighting chance against corrosion:

After quite a few months later, I got a call from the powder coaters.. Informing me that it had been done.
So I Went to pick up the parts, and all was good apart from the frame. They had powder coated over the frame number :(
This was rather annoying as it was specified on the job sheet not to do this.
They said it wouldn't be a problem and would remedy this.
So a week later, I get a call to go and pick up the frame. To my annoyance they had just masked off around the area, and then paint stripped it so it was bare metal.
I complained and explained that this wasn't good, as it would just lift the paint off in no time.
They offered to spray it over again, but the frame numbers were still full of paint, and I would be back to square one with an unreadable frame number.
So I negotiated a discount on the job and decided to sort it out myself.

Quite abit of time later with a scalpel, I managed to get the paint out of the lettering and had it half presentable.
Infuriatingly they had grit blasted the lettering, so alot of the depth had been lost. Along with a couple of the letter bottoms eroded completely.
Fortunately after painting you can just make out the lettering:

Here was the frame after getting it back from the powder coaters:

I spent quite abit of time, blowing out any grit from behind the threads, and got some cheap 2 stroke oil to clean out the oil ways inside the frame. In case there had been any contamination.

Once that was done, I set about putting the engine into the frame, which is always fun with freshly painted stuff.
Plenty of tape later to protect the paint and a little bit of jiggery pokey, the engine was in the frame along with the swingarm:

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:22

Next I set about fitting the refurbished shock absorber which I had sent away to G Force suspension to have serviced and re valved a few months previous.
I also replaced the bearing, bushing and seal on the shock absorber. As like the other bearings this was also seized.

Because of the powder coating, I had to spend a little time making sure the earth’s on the upper engine mount was good, so this was done and then fitted into position along with the 2 stroke reservoir pipe:

Next up I started with fitting the rear brake lever and reservoir:

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:23

Then I fitted the rest of the brake system along with the rear wheel:

With the rear wheel on it was time to fit the front yokes and steering bearings, fortunately the bearings had been converted to taper roller bearings already. So I could reuse the existing races in the frame and just fit the new bearings.
So plenty of grease later and the yokes where on:

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:23

With the yokes on, I could refit the forks to allow the bike to stand on its own wheels again :)
I will remove them at a later date, as I would like to strip them down and inspect the internals and change the oil.
But it’s quicker to get the rest of the bike done now and remove them near the end.
So with the forks fitted:

With the forks on I was quite excited to see how it would look with the repainted fuel tank and decals on.
So I quickly placed it onto the bike to see how the bike would look:

With the tank on I also fitted the rear sub frame, and the handlebars. This had the added benefit of clearing some floor space in the garage to.

As it was nice weather outside, I set about giving the loom a good clean and inspection.
It was rather muddy and oily to begin with:

After quite alot of cleaning and removing the bad insulation, I could set about inspecting the cabling and re wrapping areas which could benefit from fresh insulation tape.
I decided against fully stripping down the electrical loom, as everything was working when I took it apart and there shouldn't be any logical reason why this won’t be the same when I use it again.

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:24

The loom all cleaned up and re-taped ready for fitment:

I then set about fitting the loom, which due to me having it off the bike for a while, took me abit of time to remember exactly where everything went.
Thankfully I took plenty of pictures, and the maintenance manual was helpful along with the parts fiche to ensure some of the clips were in the correct position.

Anyone have an idea what the 2 pin plug does under the tank?

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:25

With the loom fitted, I set about fitting a new mudguard onto the rear subframe as mine was yellowed and cracked.
This was simple enough to fit, requiring 4 holes to be drilled into the mudguard to allow for the seat fitment, and the rear rack/handhold.
With the rear mudguard on I fitted the rack and the seat to see what it would look like:

So I wouldn't scratch the frame when lifting it onto the center stand, I decided to fit my bash guard which i managed to source off eBay a while back quite cheaply.

I decided to line up where it would mount against the paintwork with rubber tape to stop abrasion:

And then set about fitting it:

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:25

I decided to get the bash guard mountings powder coated the same colour as the frame, to allow them to blend in:

With the Nearside radiator all straightened out and fitted, I set about doing the same to the offside:

I found that the best tactic was to use cut down cable ties, and a watchmaker’s screwdriver when you couldn’t get the cable ties inside the fins.
The nice thing with using the cable ties is, you could eventually push them through to the other side and work them against each other to straighten the fins.
The end result was a good flowing radiator:

Which I subsequently fitted to the bike along with the coolant reservoir:

And that is as far as I have gotten so far:

Arj256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Arj256 - Mk2 Restoration

Post by Arj256 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:31

Thanks for the comments, have gotten abit behind on updating the thread.
Just brought it up to date now.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:34

Two pin plug under the tank - Oil level sensor?

Three pin - Side stand. One pin - Thermostat.

Looking very good :) ................

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 29 Oct 2013, 08:11

Tidy looking MK2 for sale shortly then :?: ;) +1 to Steve's comment.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3

Post by andrew19 » 29 Oct 2013, 22:24

Makes for interesting reading and will no doubt spur me on to overhauling one of my Mk3s
Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished article.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 30 Oct 2013, 09:05

The cost of refurbishing a bike that looks complete and in good condition costs just as much as refurbishing a bike in bad condition.

If you start at the front wheel and finish at the back wheel, replacing all bearings, seals, top end, gaskets, exhausts system, repaint and refurb of rest of bike etc, the costs really do mount up.

I think some bikes are stripped for a minor refresh, and when they see the cost of suspension and swingarm bearings, top end kit, exhaust, stickers, and scores of other items the cost is prohibitive and the bike gets dismantled for parts.

Not a bad thing as I purchased a complete swingarm and suspension linkages on ebay for £35, included new swingarm bearings in a honda packet.

The bearings would have cost me £100 from a dealer.

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 02 Dec 2015, 23:18

I was just wondering, where i have an oil sensor on my frame, you just have a bolt blanking the hole and i didnt see a picture of the sensor fitted before the seat went on. My question is do you have the sensor removed? Because they do tend to leak oil and in the past mine has been no different. Mine has been resealed with silicone but i expect itll leak again one day. I wonder if there is a way around this

Sean