First ever rebuild!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
Re: First ever rebuild!

Post by fishtail » 12 Feb 2014, 14:59

helisupp wrote:Fishy, is the Athena gaskets set you used caused your engine oil leak........ :D
hahah - actually that was the honda gasket..

think its my dab hand wit the oil can... breather tube into air box :oops:

yeh the athena gasket kit has the lot! even some little copper ones,,,, think they were oil inspection hole.. sump an rad..
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 15 Feb 2014, 18:02

Hi again guy's,today I went to Leisure Trail and I have to say, I was very pleased with the service that I received.

One of the guy's there, labelled their CRM expert, checked all of my bearings for me and spent time talking me through me next steps.

I purchased:

-Front and rear sprockets, and new O-ring chain.
-Crank case gasket.
-Head gaskets, upper and lower.
-Exhaust gasket.
-Set of Carb seal's.
-Main bearings and seals.
-Gear selector drum bearing.
-Kick start bolt.
-Front sprocket bolt.
-Piston circlips.
-Tub of grease.
-Brake fluid.
-Motor oil.

They even threw in a workshop manual for the CRM.

I got everything for £281 and the odd pence.

I'm sure there were a couple of other items that I can't remember, overall though I was really happy with the price I paid and service received.

Now I have the task of removing the main bearing's. I have tried heating the case up and then applying the socket and "hammer the fuck out of it" method, but a dare not hit it any harder.

Any advice guy's? My balls are starting to tingle now I have all of my part's! I want it back together!

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 15 Feb 2014, 20:17

So did you buy a clutch casing gasket......and are you going to do all this work and put the original piston rings back in.

Surely it deserves a set of rings poor thing.

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 16 Feb 2014, 10:20

I already had a clutch casing gasket and yes, I am going to attempt all of the work myself.

There is nothing wrong with the piston rings, I am going to replace the whole piston when I have the money. At least that doesn't require splitting the crank cases again.

I may take so long reassembling the bottom end that I have the money for the new piston before it all goes back together. I am really taking my time as I get heavy handed when I get frustrated.

Just having trouble removing the main bearings at the moment.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 16 Feb 2014, 14:23

Is there not a little engineering shop near you? £10 for a borrow of the fly press might well save a huge amount of frustration.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 16 Feb 2014, 16:17

Banging them in is not the answer. If you can get access onto a press as FMtB suggests, is the best way. If not imaginative use of a bench vice or G-clamp plus some wood and spacers will get you there for almost all the bearings.

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 16 Feb 2014, 21:36

I have managed to drive the bearings out. I used a socket and hammered them through.

I put the bearings into the freezer for about an hour as a bit of an experiment. They almost dropped straight in when I tried, however I have kept them out for now. I have to get the crank cases welded before I start to put them back together. Some of you may or may not remember that I over tightened the sump plug and broke it's housing.

I will keep you guy's posted. Thanks for all of the advice so far!