First ever rebuild!

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: First ever rebuild!

Post by kingoftheswing » 05 Feb 2014, 17:15

I have had a look and tool's like that, for now are well out of my price range. I can't even afford my new gaskets and bearings at the moment. I will give the heating/cooling method a go and let you all know how I get on. Wish me luck!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Feb 2014, 18:32

I would advocate concentrating on one bearing at a time. Heat the immediate surrounding housing, then drift the old bearings out. A copper hammer is ideal, or a nylon one. Wear gloves, in case you miss the drift bar.
If you don't destroy the old bearings, keep them as a perfect sized drift for knocking the new bearings back in with.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Feb 2014, 18:55

Flat pieces of wood, sockets and spacers are very useful at pushing bearings out with a bench vice or a G-clamp.

You will have to use a blind bearing remover for some bearings. The ones in most need of replacing will be the clutch arm bearings as they will probably be full of grit.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 05 Feb 2014, 19:40

as an alternative to the blind bearing tool you could try a rawlbolt. I use these for brake cylinder removal.
You can even get them with a loop on the top! http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components/co ... 1f50e4.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Feb 2014, 19:42

Good idea but I'm not sure they make them small enough for some of the bearings.

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 06 Feb 2014, 20:51

So, yesterday I got my new crank case splitter (or so it say's). I was using it to push the crank out of the case since it has got stuck. Although the standard bolts with the splitter were too big so I had to use the case bolts from the engine stacked with a load of washers.

Aside from that small issue, the tool worked perfectly. I am skeptical as to how it will perform separating cases evenly. I may have to use it along with my trusty rubber mallet, however we shall see.

All that is left now is the bearing removal and then reassembly. I am heading to leisure trail next weekend to get a set of gaskets, bearings and a few other bit's and pieces.

I am also debating getting myself some new sprockets and a chain.

I would like to get a bit more low end power out of the bike, top speed isn't an issue for me. How would I go about this? My current gearing is 14:43.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 06 Feb 2014, 21:36

It will be interesting to see your total bill for parts from Leisure Trail.

Full gasket set: Head, base, clutch, exhaust, water pump, centre case
Crank seals, Clutch arm seal, output shaft seal.
Piston rings and small end bearing and circlips (whilst it apart its a no brainer)
Set of main bearings
Balance shaft bearings and balance shaft, be mad not to change these whilst apart, is this where the metal flakes came from.
Chain and sprockets (go down one tooth on front sprocket, if you go up on rear you eat the chain guide more)

Anybody think of anything else to add (or subtract) to the list....

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 06 Feb 2014, 21:57

Be cheaper buying my mk2, just for the engine and rest for spares.

I have a spare quickfire blowlamp if your worried about cost of gas for heating bearings etc. It connects onto a propane cylinder which only cost about 7 quid. It also lights itself but its gettin on a bit an doesnt always self light

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 Feb 2014, 22:15

I run 14/45, which I find gives a reasonable compromise for off road, but with reasonable road manners, and no need to mess with a dropper block.
Mike

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 07 Feb 2014, 06:25

helisupp wrote:It will be interesting to see your total bill for parts from Leisure Trail.

Full gasket set: Head, base, clutch, exhaust, water pump, centre case
Crank seals, Clutch arm seal, output shaft seal.
Piston rings and small end bearing and circlips (whilst it apart its a no brainer)
Set of main bearings
Balance shaft bearings and balance shaft, be mad not to change these whilst apart, is this where the metal flakes came from.
Chain and sprockets (go down one tooth on front sprocket, if you go up on rear you eat the chain guide more)

Anybody think of anything else to add (or subtract) to the list....
I was never going to buy this much! I never gave a thought to changing balance shaft. I was quoted around £200 for a full set of gaskets, bearings and I was hoping to get my kick start bolt for that as well.

With the small end bearing and piston ring's I would predict that this would add around another £30 to the price?

I have seen a THC chain and sprocket kit 14:45 on eBay for £70.

Does this seem right, it appears to me that I'm looking at spending £300 on everything I need?

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 07 Feb 2014, 10:32

I dont think your gonna be getting all the seals an that what helisupp listed for £300, but you dont have to change them.
You dont have to change the balance shaft either.
Its a case of if your planning on keeping the bike a while, its worth replacing certain things.

If you just want to get it running then replace minimum. Balance shaft might last for yonks yet

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 07 Feb 2014, 17:14

Is this a rebuild, or a quick repair..............if its a quick repair then title of thread is misleading.

If its a rebuild.....£500 is more like a figure for a rebuild.

kingoftheswing
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by kingoftheswing » 07 Feb 2014, 17:19

I took the bike apart when it stopped running and a mechanic informed me that the main bearing's were gone and should be replaced. This is what has led me to this position. I'm just trying to get my baby running again, but in doing so stop it from breaking again any time within the next couple of years. I just figured that splitting the cases and re-assembly would count as a rebuild, is this is not the case then apologies for misleading. I am a novice and doing my best to learn.

I phoned Leisure Trail today, the quoted me £350 ish for:-

-Main bearing's and seals
-Gear box bearings and seals
-Full gasket set
-Kick start bolt
-Sprockets and chains

Can anyone tell me how to correctly check a bearing as I honestly have no idea. I have just turned them in situ and listened/felt for any grinding. Is my method correct?

I have another question, O-ring chain, yes or no? Are they worth the extra money spent on them?

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by helisupp » 07 Feb 2014, 17:38

£350 is is getting on for £500......LT quote prices excluding VAT, hopefully yours included VAT.

O ring is the way to go, or you will spend most of your time adjusting a drooping chain.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Feb 2014, 19:50

Feel for any roughness or wobbling when spinning the bearing. The balance shaft bearings are notoriously fragile, though rarely actually fail, they just get noisier.
Most bearings other than the mains, and afore mentioned should not have undue wear.
L.T. should be able to give good, though not copper bottomed guaranteed advice.
Fixer upper, replace as little as possible, be the caveat is SOMETHING can still fail.
Keeper? I would be looking at longevity, and replacing all internal casing bearings.
Mike