Mk2 Resorection

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Mk2 Resorection

Post by jompy » 07 Nov 2015, 16:29

So my Mk2 has been stuck in my garage since 2002 , the last time it ran was a couple of years ago & all electrics seemed to be working & engine runs sweet , thank you Mr Honda :BB
Now the problems i have to sort are it's damn near impossible to get into 1st gear with the engine running and then won't change from 1st to 2nd , it has horrendous clitch slip from 3rd gear up although it had new friction plates fitted and the brakes are seized !
The idea for this year is to get the bike up and running on the road for this year and then next year maybe strip it and have the frame powder coated , the plastics are dirty and marked so it'll never be a mint bike and it's to be used for green laning so will get scratched .
Parts so far . . .
Needed a full gear box but couldn't turn down the wheels ( might need rims for mine ) & spare barrel
( Thanks knackard ;) )
Here we go

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Re: Mk2 Resorection

Post by jompy » 07 Nov 2015, 21:17

Popped back in the garage
ImageImage

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 08 Nov 2015, 19:45

Unfortunately my clutch basket is as worn as I remember it so I've had a search around the forum , eBay including various websites & contacted Leisure Trail for options .
Looks like the XR250 & 400 use the same plates (EBC CK 1193) so I was looking to see if one of those baskets could be modified

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Nov 2015, 19:50

No they can't. If there isn't much grooving on the arms then filing them down is fine. Otherwise buy second hand on eBay. You can get a TRX 250R clutch basket modified to fit but you need the backing plate of the original basket. So my project and other posts for details.........

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 08 Nov 2015, 21:07

knackeredMk1 wrote:No they can't. If there isn't much grooving on the arms then filing them down is fine. Otherwise buy second hand on eBay. You can get a TRX 250R clutch basket modified to fit but you need the backing plate of the original basket. So my project and other posts for details.........
Cheers bud , had read through yours & nicko's threads but i didn't want to have to buy a £145 billet basket & then £60 to have it altered .
"to fit the new TRX 250 basket to the CRM's steel crank and kickstart gears involved a bit more than swapping over crank gear using the supplied fixings.
some machining to the central hole in t'basket was needed."

i didn't want to go down the second hand route as most i've seen are worn .
So i was looking into the XR basket as it holds the same friction plates and i can't remember reading that they couldn't be used .
i guess by the looks of it that it will be a £200+ fix :(

And Knackard if you say an XR won't fit then by eck after see the things you done i believe you buddy :BB
This forum is brilliant for info the only problem is i keep forgetting where i saw it & then it takes me ages to find the bugger again :lol:

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 09 Nov 2015, 14:29

So it looks like it will be nicko's route if I want a new basket and to be honest it's going to cost enough to get the CRM on the road without a £200+ bill for a clutch basket so for now I've taken knackards advice and have filed down the rough edges so it will last me till late next year when I'll have more funds
ImageImage
Yes that's the old clutch plates & steels which I'll make a clutch tool from
Done !

griff76
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by griff76 » 11 Nov 2015, 19:23

Looking good!

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 11 Nov 2015, 21:21

cheers
One of my engineering mates thinks i'm a bit of an animal for doing it but as long as it lasts till i can sort another !
i've spoken to Talon engineering and they don't make the baskets and don't plan to make any unless someone orders a minimum batch of 20 at roughly £120 a piece , he said it used to be minimum order of 50 :O
Think i need to pop into Leisure Trail & have a word , they'd have to put their % onto though .

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 12 Nov 2015, 17:37

So i popped into Lesiure Trail today to pick up a new oil level sensor that had broken :oops: and a balancer shaft oil seal that id forgot :idea:
I had a chat with Tom about the Talon clutch baskets and he said it wasn't worth them buying 20 of them as he felt they would just sit on the parts shelf collecting dust due to lack of interest :cry:
Ohh well i did try

On a plus note i have semi permanent electric to my garage which is much better than running an old extention lead out there , i may even buy a 240v drill & a bench grinder ;)

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 13 Nov 2015, 19:08

Slowly but surely

baggins1984
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by baggins1984 » 14 Nov 2015, 07:36

Did you have problems getting the swing arm pivot bolt out? I'm tidying mine up at the mo and wanted to have the frame powder coated but can't for the life of me get the bastard out.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 14 Nov 2015, 11:22

No mate it popped straight out , I've had the engine out a couple of times so I greased it liberally , also the flywheel came off with a few taps .
To be honest mate I've never had a stuck swing arm bolt & the only way I can see of getting it out is with a lump hammer and a smaller diameter piece of metal so you don't damage the threads , someone holding the bike would be a good idea .
Hope you get it sorted OK bud

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 14 Nov 2015, 15:02

Red neck crank & bearing removal . . .
No CRMs were harmed in the making of these photos

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3

Post by andrew19 » 15 Nov 2015, 12:02

Nice use of timber :BB :BB
I'd like to see what you used to split the crankcase :(

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 15 Nov 2015, 18:15

andrew19 wrote:Nice use of timber :BB :BB
I'd like to see what you used to split the crankcase :(
"No crank cases were harmed in the stripping of this engine " :lol:
i carefully tapped them and eased them apart using areas around the rear engine / swing arm mout where if i was to score the ally it wasn't a problem as it didn't need to seal there but i didn't score it as i was careful .
One side of the crank cases (clutch side) always comes away easily leaving the crank in the other side , it's been a while about 13 years but i've had this engine apart a few times ;)

getting there