1991 MK2 CRM Supermoto Project

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
1991 MK2 CRM Supermoto Project

Post by Sean91 » 30 Nov 2015, 19:38

I am fairly new to this forum and this is my first 'proper' post so here goes....

i bought this 1991 mkII a couple months ago for £1300, its spent the past 4 years living in the countryside so it was covered in mud and cow shite, but with less than 15,000km on the clock i know theres a nice bike under there somewhere

heres a list of things that need doing and parts i want to change, but im sure it'll get longer and longer as time goes by, thats usually what happens :lol:

-The rear sub frame is rusted bad. Powdercoat or poss new one
-New clutch lever and front brake master, maybe have the calipers done too
-indicators maybe? The wiring is all there
-new rear mudguard. someone has cut a nasty slot out of the original for a tail tidy or something
-remove the hand guards
-bikes dripping oil but i havent found the source yet
-fit red renthal bars.

thoughts and suggestions? :D
Last edited by Sean91 on 15 Mar 2016, 10:22, edited 3 times in total.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: 1991 MK2 CRM Supermoto Project

Post by jompy » 30 Nov 2015, 20:17

Welcome in Sean
That's looking a lot cleaner , you may find the cut out in the rear mudguard is for the original rear light as it sits above the mudguard rather than below . A very good place for O.E.M parts & info is Leisure Trail but for those non O.E.M upgrades and aftermarket parts like bearings you can have a look around ;)

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 30 Nov 2015, 20:44

jompy wrote:Welcome in Sean
That's looking a lot cleaner , you may find the cut out in the rear mudguard is for the original rear light as it sits above the mudguard rather than below . A very good place for O.E.M parts & info is Leisure Trail but for those non O.E.M upgrades and aftermarket parts like bearings you can have a look around ;)
hi jompy, thanks for the warm welcome :)

The mudguard does have a groove in the top where the light cluster used to be and also a hole for the wires, but for reasons unknown somebody has cut a jagged square section out of the end which serves no purpose whatsoever and looks terrible.

Ive sourced a set of plastics from a crm field bike and the mudguard is nice and clean, i will update with some more pictures tomorrow

Sean :)

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 30 Nov 2015, 21:21

I look forward to the pics bud .
This forum can be a bit slow these days unfortunately but the guys are nice and their knowledge is worth it's weight in gold , don't let the lack of reply's put you off posting .

Speeddevice
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Speeddevice » 01 Dec 2015, 09:52

That's a nice looking bike Sean.

I had no trouble getting a new plastic mudguard for my bike, have a look at this port for the CR plastics that will fit your bike;
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5264

You may have trouble getting the colour that you want but that can always be covered with vinyl.

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 01 Dec 2015, 16:41

Speeddevice wrote:That's a nice looking bike Sean.

I had no trouble getting a new plastic mudguard for my bike, have a look at this port for the CR plastics that will fit your bike;
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5264

You may have trouble getting the colour that you want but that can always be covered with vinyl.
cheers

i had a look on that link and it says the CRM mk2 plastics only came in white, which is strange because mine are black. you'll see in the pictures below that the existing mudguard and the replacement CRM mudguard are a slightly different fit. also the airbox covers are the same design as the CRM ones should be but are again a slightly different fit, they arent as low below the frame as the originals should be, im guessing they came from a CR or something like that. god only knows which bike the front mudguard came from but its clearly newer. the plastics are becoming to be a bit mis-match

The plastics then are job number one. these ebay sourced plastics were delivered a fourtnight back, they have been repainted badly from the original white into 2 different shades of red... But now that i have the rear mudguard ive been after, the rest will probably be kept as spares (let me know if you need them for their CRM, id rather they went to use)

you can see here how the two mudguards are a different fit, even though they are supposedly from the same model.

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 01 Dec 2015, 16:41

The erm 'tail tidy' is just a tail piece which has been hacked off another bike, but its mostly out of sight and doesnt look too bad. it was however screwed onto the mudguard using plastic number plate screws... Nothing like doing the job properly is there? :lol:

i stripped the old paint with cheap wilko value paint remover, and filled the holes with mitre bond (a strong super glue with activator spray) then sanded level

and after 5 coats of primer... its been painted black and lacqured since these pictures were taken but i havent taken any photos yet. the finish though is very shiny and im real happy with it

i'll have another update to post tomorrow :)

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 01 Dec 2015, 19:08

Mitre bond is great stuff , when i'm not using it on wood ally & plastic at work i'm using it to glue my skin back together when i've cut myself :D

plastics are looking good so far :)

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 01 Dec 2015, 19:40

jompy wrote:Mitre bond is great stuff , when i'm not using it on wood ally & plastic at work i'm using it to glue my skin back together when i've cut myself :D

plastics are looking good so far :)
yeah its strong stuff, but not so good when you need to get it off your fingers or in my case sand the stuff down :lol:

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 01 Dec 2015, 19:56

:lol:

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 02 Dec 2015, 08:01

Next job is to get the subframe off so some deconstruction has taken place. I also cleaned the carb/jets and wanted to put a new spark plug at the same time, which as im sure you lot know is buried awkwardly under the petrol tank, so that had to come off as well :roll:

Luckilly the engine on this bike is sound and runs really nicely, so 90% of the work this bike needs doing is cosmetic

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 03 Dec 2015, 09:40

The subframe had rusted bad but i had it shotblasted and it was solid underneath with no pinholes

As removed from the bike

Back from the powdercoaters. i didnt want it to be white again but im worried that it'll be too much of a contrast with the main frame which remains the original white

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 03 Dec 2015, 14:47

The subframe is back on the bike

I had some chrome paint leftover from another project, so I've done the fork yokes, gear lever, brake pedal, kickstart and a few other bits in it... i didnt want this page to become too pic heavy so heres a before/after of just the LH yokes. you get the idea ;)

may as well, whilst i have the airbox covers off

Sean

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 03 Dec 2015, 17:33

I come from another forum that actively encourages pic's so for me please post away :)
red subframe & chrome paints looking good

Sean91
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » 03 Dec 2015, 18:03

jompy wrote:I come from another forum that actively encourages pic's so for me please post away :)
red subframe & chrome paints looking good
same here, i sometimes get a bit camera happy with the updates but i try not to let them get too long winded :lol:

The brakes are next on the list, im gonna have the calipers powdercoated the same colour as the subframe. They would of been red before, once apon a time

Sean