92 CRM in New Zealand

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
Hedgehog33
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2 1992
92 CRM in New Zealand

Post by Hedgehog33 » 16 May 2016, 10:55

Hi all,
I recently got hold of a pretty tired specimen of the MK2 variety, they seem to be very rare over here in New Zealand, as i understand it only those privately exported made it over here.
At some point in it's past the base gasket on the barrel was replaced with some gasket paste, which did a very poor job and let coolant into the crankcase. :shock: It seems like sat for a while like this, as there is a tide mark on the crankshaft, but apparently it was run for a while as the guy had no idea of the problem.
Consequently, all bearings/seals on the crank are stuffed and the bore is pretty scored - of course the piston has also had it. Aside from that it seems to be a pretty sound frame, aside from a fair bit of surface rust and the plastics, which have been brush painted with house paint. I wish I knew why.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone here can give me some pointers as to where I can get a conrod kit (I think I can CNC machine the conrod on a friends machine, but it's not really ideal and the pin presents rather more of a problem) for a reasonable price and a drive gear for the oil pump - I suspect someone decided at some point they wanted to go premix.
Here are some pictures for those who are interested: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
I think it'll be a good project to spend my afternoons on after school - any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3
Re: 92 CRM in New Zealand

Post by andrew19 » 16 May 2016, 21:45

Welcome.

The FAQ section on this site is a full of information.

This link may be of help to you

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5267.

That piston looks terrible!!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 17 May 2016, 17:00

Welcome, big project there, good luck.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Hedgehog33
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2 1992

Post by Hedgehog33 » 18 May 2016, 10:32

Thanks guys,
Yes, it is be a big project but I believe it will be worth it in the end. I went to the local Honda dealer and they have contacted Honda Japan for a conrod kit, not sure they'll want to know but might get lucky...
My friend's been rebuilding his RMX250 over the last few years, we need to rejet and a few other minor things then I think that'll be good to go, I believe it was built with a similar purpose to the CRM and it'll be interesting to compare them once they both go.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 18 May 2016, 16:53

Hedgehog33 wrote:Thanks guys,
Yes, it is be a big project but I believe it will be worth it in the end. I went to the local Honda dealer and they have contacted Honda Japan for a conrod kit, not sure they'll want to know but might get lucky...
My friend's been rebuilding his RMX250 over the last few years, we need to rejet and a few other minor things then I think that'll be good to go, I believe it was built with a similar purpose to the CRM and it'll be interesting to compare them once they both go.
Your comparison would be more like an orange to a grapefruit, the RMX is purpose built Enduro weapon, where as the CRM is at best a good trail bike, masquerading as an Enduro bike, the suspension will let it down.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 23 May 2016, 15:46

Good luck with con rod kit because they were never available from new. itll be a new crank or rebuilt around something else which no one except Leisure Trail and their crank builder know.
I have an AR crank which has been rebuilt by LT (then failed) but Ive not stripped it yet to measure the rod to try and unravel the mystery.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 30 May 2016, 21:50

Welcome in
i had my mk2 crank rebuilt with new bearings but using the old con rod , if the balancer shaft bearing is ok or just making a noise make sure you keep it as you can't get them anymore & they are a crm only part

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 01 Jun 2016, 20:46

taobao might be able to help

https://world.taobao.com/item/525187947 ... GUM#detail

I was using it all the time when I was in Hong Kong.. got loads off there.. clutches stator -

i think there's alibaba or something that helps you

good luck man - my misssus is from the north island..
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong