Hello from Nevada USA

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
MarkT2
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Hello from Nevada USA

Post by MarkT2 » 18 Feb 2018, 05:20

New owner of a CRM250AR.

I've been happy to find this forum and have done a lot of reading! When I first received my CRM it was very difficult to start. So following some of the advice here I cleaned the ignition switch and wiring contacts and that made a big difference! Also have read up on the potential reg/rectifier failure destroying the PGM so ordered and just received a new Electrex RR125.

Had a terrible time disconnecting the 3 yellow wire alternator connector. Found out why. The tiny pins used in the AR connector had obviously overheated and the plastic inside had melted. So very happy I found this place or I'm sure a disaster of some type would have not been far off!

Also undoing some of the previous owner "upgrades" like a Nology aftermarket high tension spark plug lead that had been spliced (yes spliced!) to the original lead and ran down the left all the way to the back of the gas tank, over the frame, and then on the right side back forward to the plug.

Spares are hard to find in the US so working on collecting parts as I come across them... any suggestions of what to look for are appreciated!

Again, thank you for a great website!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Hello from Nevada USA

Post by gregorious77 » 19 Feb 2018, 09:27

Welcome to the world of AR ownership.
Just make sure the swingarm bolt is removed and lubed regular really and do the linkage while you are at it. I am sure though in Nevada you wont be dealing with much in the way of corrosion issues. Its hot there though and the AR has tiny rads so might be worth fitting a fan for the slower more technical trails.

MarkT2
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MarkT2 » 22 Feb 2018, 18:22

Thank you. Shock was a bit low on pressure so gassed it back up. Swingarm and linkage is on the "to do" list... Probably going to rebuild the shock and forks and maybe revalve/re-spring if needed. Haven't ridden enough to tell if suspension needs tuning. Seems to work well so far but might be a bit soft for my weight. I want to finish cleaning connections and making sure the electrical is in top shape first.

Made a bracket to mount the new reg/rec on the front downtube... (shamelessly stealing a great idea I saw on this forum.)

Also saw the computer fan suggestions... it does get VERY hot here so decided to go with the TrailTech fan kit which has an adjustable thermostat-controlled switch, temp gauge, and high velocity fan with mounting hardware. Have had good luck with the TrailTech products so hopefully will work well. Draws 30 watts but won't be on all the time so should be okay.

Will have to find a way to post photos as this forum seems to require outside hosting. Used to use Photobucket until they held pics hostage. They wanted $400/year in the US for their previously free service. No thank you! ImageShack did something similar a few years back so I'm a little cautious about choosing a service... it's very annoying when the photos disappear!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 25 Feb 2018, 20:11

it is indeed. I just use tinypic but keep a copy in googledrive.
I have my reg/reg mounted where the horn normally is and move the horn to behind the rad.

MarkT2
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MarkT2 » 25 Feb 2018, 21:16

Yes! I found your post and pictures on the reg mount and am mounting mine in the same place. Thank you for the great idea! :BB