Mark 1 electrical help pleeeaaassseee.....

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
Bringit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Mark 1 electrical help pleeeaaassseee.....

Post by Bringit » 05 Oct 2020, 18:20

Hello fellow CRM ers. Getting back into bikes after years off...Grew up with them and want to relive my youth so I finally caved-in and bought a crm mk1 some time ago. Non runner but good nick. I really did not expect such trouble finding info and parts so i am appealing to anyones good nature to help a fellow bike lover.
At the moment i just need help finding where some cables should go. After that i will see why there is no spark.(mission 2)
I would genuinely appreciate any help someone will give me as this means looking at there own bike to see where things go and then
sharing that info. I will pay for this info or donate to a charity.....Anything to help me complete this mission. I will not give up, ever!
(Unless something good comes onto netflix).
So, for the start,

Black cable and green cable with yellow stripe from box connector behind headlight. Goes nowhere.
Black cable and green cable from behind light... green goes to instruments. Black from loom to nowhere.

Single orange cable behind headlight goes nowhere (female)

Single green cable with double head goes nowhere (female)

Under tank from loom. Small connector block. Green cable and a green with red stripe. Has nothing connected to it. Just two small spade ends.

Is ignition coil wiring black with yellow stripe to black terminal on coil and green cable to what looks like blue green on ignition coil? Assuming they are correct cables to the coi in the first place....

Light green and dark green spade connectors under Rad. Are they horn?

Green connector block (with 3 cables) from loom under saddle has yellow and black stripe, green with white stripe and green.
This goes nowhere but the yellow black has been cut and the other 2 looped together.

Thanks in advance!

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM
Re: Mark 1 electrical help pleeeaaassseee.....

Post by xstian81 » 06 Oct 2020, 13:52

Bringit wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 18:20

Black cable and green cable with yellow stripe from box connector behind headlight. Goes nowhere.

Black cable and green cable from behind light... green goes to instruments. Black from loom to nowhere.

Single orange cable behind headlight goes nowhere (female)

Single green cable with double head goes nowhere (female)
Not sure about these, but you would have had indicators and a flasher relay at some piont, these may have been removed. There's a black cable with a fuse holder and everything else has colour coded plugs, so can't really go wrong, unless someone has cut them off

Under tank from loom. Small connector block. Green cable and a green with red stripe. Has nothing connected to it. Just two small spade ends.

I think these go to the 2T oil level sensor in the frame

Is ignition coil wiring black with yellow stripe to black terminal on coil and green cable to what looks like blue green on ignition coil? Assuming they are correct cables to the coi in the first place....

Yes these go to coil

Light green and dark green spade connectors under Rad. Are they horn?

Yes these go to the horn

Green connector block (with 3 cables) from loom under saddle has yellow and black stripe, green with white stripe and green.
This goes nowhere but the yellow black has been cut and the other 2 looped together.

These are the side stand switch. Sounds like yours has been bypassed.

Thanks in advance!

Bringit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bringit » 07 Oct 2020, 08:11

Thank you so much!!!! Kind man. (Assuming). I hope I can return the favour in some way and I said I am also happy to pay/employ someone for there time. You can pm me any requests (assuming as a newbie that facility is open to me).
I have a feeling this isn’t going to change my spark issue much but it’s a good start. It looks like someone may have changed the stator in an effort to fix this before. Is there any such thing as a workshop Manual that could explain timing etc? And maybe have wiring diagrams? Thanks again. DH

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 08 Oct 2020, 04:59

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5261

Some of the links no longer work. Here is a link to the LT Manual, which is basic to say the least, but still handy. I would save this to your desktop or print it out.

http://crm250.narod.ru/Manuals/crm250.pdf

Bringit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bringit » 08 Oct 2020, 07:42

That’s very helpful. Many thanks. I shall keep plodding away. The stator and pickups probably my next mission once I am happy with the electrics (that many parts are missing). Someone seems to have stripped most sensors etc but hopefully they won’t make much of a difference. (Stand, oil sensor, flasher unit and relay, maybe more).
I will need to figure out how to set the timing with the engine not running. But back to the Other electrics first, thanks again!

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Gammakeith » 08 Oct 2020, 08:29

Given the "modifications" you have encountered, it is possible the lack of spark is due to previous dodgy wiring. I would advise stripping off any non standard insulation tape and investigate the joints very carefully.

Good luck!

Keith

Bringit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bringit » 08 Oct 2020, 13:38

That is good advice..Thks

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 08 Oct 2020, 22:40

I must say - I've done work on a lot of CRMs and must say that when I've taken out sparkplugs to check for a visible spark I've very rarely succeeded in seeing a spark even when there must have been one to see. I'm finding the same with MTXs recently.

Bringit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bringit » 10 Oct 2020, 18:17

That’s a very good point. Maybe I should just try and start it 😂
That sounds too easy though it may just work....
I’ll keep you posted. Thks!
I used to have an mtx 125 27 years ago. God I feel old.
They are a great bike.