Soon to be new owner (with questions)

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
bobbler
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Soon to be new owner (with questions)

Post by bobbler » 01 Dec 2020, 15:06

Hi all, in the next couple of weeks i am due to be the proud owner of a mk2 CRM. The plan is to run a set of 17" motard wheels to commute during the week and swap to trail tyres for weekend fun so I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I've had my fill of sportsbikes for now and I'm just looking to do some local laning and trail riding.

Can the CRM be a reliable commuter? It's around 20 miles each way with a mix of country lanes and dual carriageway so being able to hold a constant 70-75mph / 110-120kph would be an advantage.

I'm buying this from a distance and it will be getting couriered (thank you c-19) so all i have seen is pictures and a running video so far. Is there anything in particular I should be asking or looking for when it arrives?

Any recommendations for service intervals? I'm handy with tools for maintenance but don't fancy pulling the head off every other week (I'd have bought a KTM otherwise :lol: )

Any advice is appreciated especially if i'm barking up the wrong tree and would be better off running something else (4 stroke single etc.)

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Re: Soon to be new owner (with questions)

Post by Gammakeith » 02 Dec 2020, 08:42

Welcome.

I, personally, don't think you are silly. I cannot think of a better bike to ride on winter roads. I'd pull the top end to check and clean exhaust valve and do a leakdown test to check crank seals etc. Swinging arm bolts can seize in place. Other than that, its kept running pretty much as any other motorbike though do run decent 2T oil.

I don't see why it would not be suitable for your commute. A few months back, I rode my AR on its dualsport tyres 60 miles up the M1 to meet a mate. The following day we did some light greenlaning of about 60 miles after which I then rode back down the M1. My backside was a tad sore but otherwise not a problem. I cruised at about 60-65 mph but would have gone faster if my front wheel had been more round :-) Averaged 45 mpg.

Keith

bobbler
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bobbler » 02 Dec 2020, 12:35

Thanks for the reply Keith,

I'm told it has had a recent engine refresh/rebuild and I didn't hear anything untoward in the video I received. The metalwork has been shotblasted / powdercoated and i'm told the plastics are a bit rough but they are all there and nothing a scrub / graphics kit can't sort? At the end of the day it's nearly 30 years old so I wouldn't expect it to be immaculate.

I guess I've been getting a little concerned reading about failed CDI units and powervalves but I'll just have to hope this ones ok. Is this quite a common issue and if so is it an easy / cheap fix?

I'm going to be giving up a 750cc inline 4 sports bike so I know it will be a big difference (and a bit more license friendly) but I'm hoping the fun factor will make up for it :D .

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Gammakeith » 03 Dec 2020, 08:59

I've also got an Suzuki RG500 and a Ducati ST4S and I can assure you that a CRM is not boring to ride on the road. The CRM positively begs you to ride like a hooligan though. I don't know a lot about the earlier bikes like the MK2 but I don't think they suffer too bad from electrics problems. If the power valve is sticky then it puts a lot more load on the controller which then become more likely to fail. They are fairly easy to check and clean though. I would suggest that your problems are most likely to come from previous owner repairs/crashes. Wiring harnesses in particular can inherit all sorts of horrors that can impact reliability. At the end of the day it is a Honda so they last better than most.

Good luck!

Keith

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 08 Apr 2022, 01:06

I used my CRM for a few winters once it got a bit dangerous for my ninja and with a plug clean once a week she was good to go
VIVA LA CRM!