New owner (With a couple of questions!)

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
New owner (With a couple of questions!)

Post by Ekul250 » 30 Apr 2021, 13:49

Hello!

Just got a mk3 CRM 250, pretty low mileage, been pootling around a couple of times on it! I had a KLX 250 a few years ago, which was fun, this seems like a different animal though. I'm coming from sports bikes, but I have fond memories of greenlaning on my woefully ill-equipped XL125R.

My questions are: Is the top half of the fuel collector pipe (?) known for gumming up at all? The bike cuts out eventually with the fuel tap turned upward to face "on", whereas faced downward toward "res", it runs just fine. Tank is full of fuel.

When starting up, I get the classic 2 stroke smoke out of the exhaust. However on a short 15 minute jaunt last night, I pulled over to admire the thing that'll assuredly break some of my bones, and I noticed it wasn't firing smoke out (at idle or otherwise). From my googling, this doesn't necessarily indicate an issue, the bike sounded fine. Should I be concerned? What's the easiest way to double check the auto-lube is working, is it going to be the pre-mix and route the collection pipe into a jug route?

Thanks! You'll probably see a lot of me on here asking inane questions :-)

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Re: New owner (With a couple of questions!)

Post by Gammakeith » 01 May 2021, 08:20

Hi and welcome.

It unusual for the fuel tap filter screen on the "main" feed to clog on any bike but if its been left a long time with old fuel in then its certainly possible. The easiest thing to do is remove the tap from the tank and check the tap itself as well as the screens. It will also be worth shining a light in the tank to see if there are any horrors - you may even be able to see the screen on the main feed line. I've had trouble with old tank linings breaking up with modern ethanol containing fuel.

Auto-lube pumps are normally pretty reliable and modern oils should mean a pretty clean exhaust immediately after a run. Have you checked its set right? The easiest check is to take the cover off and fully open the pump spindle at tickover after which you should get smoke pretty quickly. I like clear tubing as any air bubbles are easily spotted.

Keith

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 01 May 2021, 16:19

As above.

The fact that you haven't got much/any smoke is not necessarily a problem. Once the engine is warmed and the exhaust warmed through there really shouldn't be much/any smoke if the engine is in good order.

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 01 May 2021, 21:26

Gammakeith wrote:
01 May 2021, 08:20
Hi and welcome.

It unusual for the fuel tap filter screen on the "main" feed to clog on any bike but if its been left a long time with old fuel in then its certainly possible. The easiest thing to do is remove the tap from the tank and check the tap itself as well as the screens. It will also be worth shining a light in the tank to see if there are any horrors - you may even be able to see the screen on the main feed line. I've had trouble with old tank linings breaking up with modern ethanol containing fuel.

Auto-lube pumps are normally pretty reliable and modern oils should mean a pretty clean exhaust immediately after a run. Have you checked its set right? The easiest check is to take the cover off and fully open the pump spindle at tickover after which you should get smoke pretty quickly. I like clear tubing as any air bubbles are easily spotted.

Keith
The tank is a little dented, so it could be possible something has gone awry along the way. Yet to check the tap. I spent today rigging up the rear light switch using 1.2mm piano wire... May not be the greatest solution, but seems to be okay. Had to also replace the speedo backlight bulb, that was quite the task. I took the nuts off the instrument panel, lifted it up, and got it wedged before realising I should've taken the speedo drive off first. Managed to slacken the cable by disconnecting the guide on the fork, all's well that ends well! I thought the sidestand bulb was blown, but seemed fine, and had continuity whilst the sidestand was down. So unsure why that's not been lighting up.
knackeredMk1 wrote:
01 May 2021, 16:19
As above.

The fact that you haven't got much/any smoke is not necessarily a problem. Once the engine is warmed and the exhaust warmed through there really shouldn't be much/any smoke if the engine is in good order.
The engine is pretty low miles, I just have that nervousness after purchasing a new vehicle. There was a healthy amount of seepage from the exhaust-engine manifold, I cleaned it off and will see how quickly it builds up. The expansion chamber is a DEP unit that doesn't fit the mounting brackets on the frame, so that might need replacing. I'll check if I can find a part number on it tomorrow to confirm it's the wrong one. The silencer is a stock unit. Having read your exhaust topic in the FAQ area, a full replacement is probably in order.

Thank you both, guys, I appreciate both the advice and warm welcome :-)

777amia
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by 777amia » 03 May 2021, 21:31

Are you using the tap the correct way?
Maybe your on reserves when you think it's on? There's an arrow on the tap lever

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 04 May 2021, 20:19

777amia wrote:
03 May 2021, 21:31
Are you using the tap the correct way?
Maybe your on reserves when you think it's on? There's an arrow on the tap lever
From what I understand if you have a full tank it shouldn't make a difference whether the tap is set to "reserve" or "on". If you're under whatever capacity the manufacturer has set as the reserve, only the reserve setting will send fuel through. The bike doesn't seem to get fuel for long while the fuel tap is turned with the arrow facing "on". Whereas it runs fine while the arrow is facing toward reserve. This is, of course, with a full tank of fuel. I've still not taken it off to check :oops:

Oil coming from the exhaust manifold is quite a lot... Leads me to think I definitely need to source a new expansion chamber and silencer. I've been reading the FAQ topic on this subject, was there ever any certainty reached with regards to the MK3 exhaust setup? Seems quite clear that the AR expansion chamber won't work due to different stud arrangements. But should I put a MK3/AR silencer on the MK1/2 expansion chamber? Or should I get a mk1/2 silencer + expansion chamber. I have contacted DEP and I am hoping they can make me a new system. This issue is hitting me the hardest... Old bike + an import makes these things a nightmare, or so I am learning. Any advice, anyone? :D Cheers.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 04 May 2021, 21:08

I have 2 DEP silencers and they are different. One is a mk1/2 and the other labelled as Mk3. The Mk1/2 main frames are the same as are the Mk3/AR. I would start with the Mk3 silencer and change if needed DEP will take the silencer back even if you have to force them saying it's wrongly labelled.

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 04 May 2021, 21:50

knackeredMk1 wrote:
04 May 2021, 21:08
I have 2 DEP silencers and they are different. One is a mk1/2 and the other labelled as Mk3. The Mk1/2 main frames are the same as are the Mk3/AR. I would start with the Mk3 silencer and change if needed DEP will take the silencer back even if you have to force them saying it's wrongly labelled.
Thanks Knackered.

So try to get them to make me a MK1/2 expansion with a MK3/AR silencer. If the silencer is no good, have a word with them?

This is their website and the fact sheets.

https://www.deppipes.com/product-listin ... -14/crm250

Mostly really hope that they won't say "No mate, impossible for us to be making those now".

777amia
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by 777amia » 04 May 2021, 22:04

It'll just be blocked internally then.
Regarding exhaust, cgh imports import pro circuit exhausts, and they do one for the mk3, but last time I checked their site is down.. couple of silencer options too :)

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 05 May 2021, 07:46

I tried to buy a depp pipe for my mk3 a couple of years ago, to match the depp end can that was already fitted, but they where no longer available. I ended up getting a FMF pipe in the end and fitted it to the Depp end can with no problems. The bike definitely felt a little crisper off the throttle with the new pipe.

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 05 May 2021, 14:15

777amia wrote:
04 May 2021, 22:04
It'll just be blocked internally then.
Regarding exhaust, cgh imports import pro circuit exhausts, and they do one for the mk3, but last time I checked their site is down.. couple of silencer options too :)
Nice one, I'll get on it soon :-) I don't know why I've not done it yet to be honest.

I emailed those guys, they got back to me today saying they nor pro circuit have any in stock, which I know and said in the email... Pro circuit's website says they are available for back-order, so I fired them an email directly. Having a friend in America post it on to me shouldn't be a big issue. Have emailed DEP, let's see what they say.
xstian81 wrote:
05 May 2021, 07:46
I tried to buy a depp pipe for my mk3 a couple of years ago, to match the depp end can that was already fitted, but they where no longer available. I ended up getting a FMF pipe in the end and fitted it to the Depp end can with no problems. The bike definitely felt a little crisper off the throttle with the new pipe.
Nice, where did you get the FMF pipe from? The FAQ post says there was a gnarly made for the CRM, but I'm struggling to locate even a hint of a UK seller to harass about old stock. There's a mk1/2 DEP silencer up for sale on ebay at the moment, used, that might be worth picking up. But the critical part for my bike is the expansion chamber at the moment.

Also has anyone used the leisure trail pipes, their accessories page lists them as having both expansion chamber and silencers available.

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 05 May 2021, 17:06

I can get hold of a new mk1/2 DEP front pipe. Will take a few days. The silencer would be made to order.

So I need to know for sure, MK1/2 DEP front pipe is what I want for my mk3. The AR will definitely not fit. Silencer is more of a "?".

Interestingly, I had a response from a different pro-circuit importer. They can do the front pipe £309 and the silencer £149. Lead time is likely to be extremely long (6-12months). No refunds or cancellations. But... they can order them in.

I have also been scouring importing from Japan, but it'd end up being a used unit. What with the aftermarket manufacturers being primarily based in the UK/USA.

This has been quite frankly a bit of a nightmare. And as it transpires, the pipe that is currently fitted (DEP) may well be fine for the bike, it's just missing the mounting brackets... Oh, and incredibly rusty. But, if I can get the head nuts off and replace the gasket, it may well be fine as-is.

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 06 May 2021, 19:03

Sorry looks like the FMF is NLA. I'm not sure about a mk1/2 fitting a mk3. Maybe a few photos of what you have at the moment might help with the fitting. A call to LT won't do any harm. Not sure I would want that used DEPP pipe for £150 from ebay, but if that's all that is available and you are in a bind?

Its surprising what is NLA for these bikes, that was no trouble getting a few years ago.

Ekul250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Ekul250 » 06 May 2021, 19:12

xstian81 wrote:
06 May 2021, 19:03
Sorry looks like the FMF is NLA. I'm not sure about a mk1/2 fitting a mk3. Maybe a few photos of what you have at the moment might help with the fitting. A call to LT won't do any harm. Not sure I would want that used DEPP pipe for £150 from ebay, but if that's all that is available and you are in a bind?

Its surprising what is NLA for these bikes, that was no trouble getting a few years ago.
DEP say to use the mk1/2. I'm holding off on ordering it.

I wasn't too interested in the £150 used system on ebay. I am considering snapping up the silencer that's on there, looks pretty clean. At the moment I'm waiting on a new gasket to arrive, I'll try to fit that, and if it works a treat with the spooge then I won't worry until the front pipe rusts to pieces. I don't think I'm in as much of a bind as I thought I was, which is nice.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a nightmare, but I shall see how it goes. I do love the bike though. Not much green-laning up here in Norfolk though, might try out that one next to Acle.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 May 2021, 00:02

I've got both DEP MK3 and Mk1/2 silencers that will need repacking. The Mk1/2 is pretty rusty. I'm getting rid of what's left of my CRM bits and just want rid of them and you can have them for £25 + postage if you are interested. I've got photos I can send by email.