problem with starting after new piston fit...HELP

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
problem with starting after new piston fit...HELP

Post by thelexx » 12 May 2006, 16:27

hi i am new here,but hope that this site will help me,,,i have just fitted a new piston and had the head re sleeved,plus also the rc valve was stuck,so had that released...(before the piston went ,the bike worked fine)when ive put it all back together,with the new parts,it wont start properly,it does kick over and runs on tickover for about 4 seconds then cuts out....then doesent start agian,i havent touch any thing on the bike except the head and piston,pipes....as anyone got any suggestions as its proper doing my head in...thanks

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 12 May 2006, 20:15

hi Dude.Tell Me , How did the piston \"GO\"..Did it sease/blow a hole/or bust rings......Did you put the rings on right offset the gaps , Are you shure the pv is open,,Have you used a new plug with correct gap ,suppose it could be the crank case seal,,dunno , ..give us more info how it went tits up before you repaired it

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by thelexx » 13 May 2006, 12:56

right what happened was,i let a mate have a go on the crm 250?he when down the field,half way down ,the bike just cut out,tryed to start it agian and it wouldnt go,brought it home,took the head off,and the saw what had happened,there was a scrape on both of the piston and the head,and also one of the rings had like seezed to the piston,.......so i had the head re skimmed and new piston/rings...and little end plus gaskets??...a good friend who used to race power bikes fitted the parts for me,as i helped!plus we had the bike shop on the phone just to make sure that everything went together ok...the rings was in the right way and everything?....the only two things that im not sure of was the pipe work and the power valve......the power valve as not been set up,just re connected as the bike will only tick over for a few seconds....plus there are two pipes that go to the carb that as water running through them......do you possibly have a diagram of the carb and the pipeworks.....as this is the only thing that bothers me.....dont know if the pipe work is right,,,like i said though the bike does kick over and runs for a few seconds then cuts out....then it will not kick up agian for ages......i rung the bike shop back up yesterday and explianed to him what was happening....he said ok,because the bike had been stood for about 2 months,he said drian your tank and put new petrol in?clean the carb out and put a new spark plug in.......he said it should work then..........ive been over the bike about 10 times to check it and just carnt figger it out.....please help...LEXX

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 13 May 2006, 14:19

Sounds like the carbs dried out and maybe got some dirt in it ,, The next time its starts first time then cuts out , try removing the air filter cover and spraying \"easy start\" on the filter /or down the carb , If it easily starts then the carbs being starved ,, if its still a beeitch then its something else...If you look on the forum tech drawings , you may see a carb pipe diagram , If not , Ill post you a photo of mine ,, Ps , Have you got the pdf manual??

mikey11000
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by mikey11000 » 13 May 2006, 18:05

i would also agree with the carb theory.when it cuts out open the screw at the bottom of the carb to see if you have fuel in there.if not i use would check your getting fuel out of the tap and then strip the carb.hope you get it sorted

bodge
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by bodge » 13 May 2006, 19:05

have you checked the float in the carb it is probly stuck not alowing fuel to enter or you might have a blocked jet.

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by thelexx » 13 May 2006, 19:06

mikey11000 wrote:i would also agree with the carb theory.when it cuts out open the screw at the bottom of the carb to see if you have fuel in there.if not i use would check your getting fuel out of the tap and then strip the carb.hope you get it sorted
THANKS FOR THE HELP MATE,yes petrol is comming out of the bottom of the carb,so petrol is getting through,but it could be one of the jets thats blocked up,and not letting enough petrol through,,,,im going to spray the air filter and the carb and see if it starts better,,,then we will know hopefully,,,,,but thanks for trying to help out LEXX

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by thelexx » 13 May 2006, 19:11

[quote="bodge"]have you checked the float in the carb it is probly stuck not alowing fuel to enter or you might have a blocked jet.[/quote

yes i think its a blocked jet,,,,hopefully?????thanks for helping mate cheers LEXX

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
your the man

Post by thelexx » 13 May 2006, 19:17

CRMR wrote:Sounds like the carbs dried out and maybe got some dirt in it ,, The next time its starts first time then cuts out , try removing the air filter cover and spraying "easy start" on the filter /or down the carb , If it easily starts then the carbs being starved ,, if its still a beeitch then its something else...If you look on the forum tech drawings , you may see a carb pipe diagram , If not , Ill post you a photo of mine ,, Ps , Have you got the pdf manual??
thanks mukka going to spray the carb with easy start,then we should know one way or the other.....petrol is going into the carb but it might have a jet blocked or something so ill try that first before i have to take the carb appart lol,should be fun NOT,can you please send me a pic of your carb pipework,,,,thank you very much TOP MAN

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
still not working

Post by thelexx » 16 May 2006, 16:59

hi agian i bet your sick of me already lol,,stripped the carb and cleaned it out,put new petrol in the tank,and changed the spark plug,nothing at all happens now?doesent even start at all,even put easy start on the air filter and a bit in the carb,nothing at all.....took the cut out switch appart and cleaned that as well.....still nothing.....whats next????any help ......HHHHHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPP please...LEXX

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 16 May 2006, 23:13

Three basic things before we go any further ,,,
1/Compression
2/spark
3/fuel

All these and the engine will run , (a bit)

it wont run if

busted of faulty sparkplug and or gap.(gap is crucial on crms)
no fuel of fuel blocked
no spark or ignition
cut off switch or SIDE STAND switch faulty or NOT hotwired properly
crapp compression ( hmm)(spose it would run a bit )
big air leak from the inlet or reeds area
cdi triggers broken or not set properly.(timing for cdi)
or just plain old dirty wiring and muddy sluged up connectors in the wiring loom, especially the earth on the regulater/rectirfyer.

last chance lottery , Theres a cylinder type object near the headstock connected near and around the ignition keyswitch, like a capacitor type thingy. swap this for a known working one ,, see what happens ????

others will follow on with there ideas too ,

The power the the keyboard will fix your bike soon my young jedi :roll:

thelexx
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
got the bike working

Post by thelexx » 04 Jun 2006, 16:05

hi and thanks to everyone who help me get my bike back on the road,,,,,i found out after nearly stripping all the bike down.....it was the reed valves that had gone,and it was flooding the engine all the time....but thanks to all you and your comments we are now back on the road,,,,,,and faster than ever.......top site and top people on here..........and at least there is one good thing?all the bike as had a service,and its never been as clean...lol....LEXX

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 04 Jun 2006, 16:21

Thanks for the replie ,, Ill remember to add \"check reed petals\" as a fix the next time someone has the same sort of problem