Hi from Bristol, England

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Hi from Bristol, England

Post by jackdim » 02 Dec 2008, 00:45

Hi all,

My name is Jack, I'm 21yrs old and living in Bristol and studying at UWE. Currently riding a 1989 tdr250 (taken off the road as needs some tlc) and a 2003 rs125. I'm really interested in getting a CRM250 but I thought I'd join up here to get some more information about what's what concerning this bike and hopefully the forum may provide an avenue through which I can buy myself one :D. Liking the look of the mk3's but I don't know any pros or cons of any the models.

Now I just need to sell some of the other parts and bikes I've recently accumulated and I can get to getting a CRM!

Anyone else from Bristol or the surrounding area?

Thanks,
Jack

Gaz
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Hi from Bristol, England

Post by Gaz » 02 Dec 2008, 09:12

Hi Jack,
there's a model comparison and history section on the front page of crm250.com.

Probably best to ask specific questions if possible, there are some helpful chaps on here :-)

bananaextreme
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bananaextreme » 02 Dec 2008, 16:27

Hi Jack, and welcome....... :D
Have a good look through the search option and feel free to ask questions.
But most points have been covered somewhere.

But helpful people are a plenty on this site .....

Hope you get one soon.

Cheers
;)
He who has the most toys when you die wins !!!......
ZZ-R 600
CRM 250 MK2

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 02 Dec 2008, 17:48

:D Hi Jack and welcome , my advice would be to buy the best condition ,sympathetically fettled, mk2 or mk3 you can for your budget .
Without wishing to upset or rubbish a mk1 owner, or machine , they are now 20 yrs or so , old , and unless looked after like NKMK1 ( see his project it's a legend ) you may be buying lots of fettling opportunities, and lots of ways to dispose of your limited resources.
Perversly as a MK3/AR owner i could not recommend one of these either, as when they do go wrong( and they do ) it's normally big bucks to make them well again.
Regards Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackdim » 02 Dec 2008, 19:58

Yeah, I can't afford an AR really (or to buy parts to repair it if it goes wrong) so most likely to go for a mk3 on the basis of looks only at the moment. I'll have to research more intensively to see what the different MK's are all about though before I make a final decision.

Thanks for the warm welcome btw, just need to work hard selling my other bike parts now so I can buy one!

Ta again,
Jack

jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackdim » 02 Dec 2008, 20:02

Just a couple q's? (sorry if its the wrong section)

How much would I roughly be expecting to pay for a well maintained mk2/3 (cosmetics unimportant)? Just so I've got a rough target to work towards earning cash wise. Whats the favourite/common options for SM rims?

Ta,
Jack

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Dec 2008, 21:16

I used to say emphitically buy a Mk2 or 3. Now I'm more inclinded to include a Mk1 in that statement. The reasons are diverse but in essence -

ARs are difficult and expensive to repair. They are, I believe, more likely to go wrong. However they are a truly stunning piece of engineering.

The difference between the Mk2 and 3 is cosmetic and a slight improvement in suspension. They both have some issues with CDIs - but that is rare and the only major breakage that cannot be readily fixed.

I used to think that Mk1 shocks could not be repaired, but I have been shown to be wrong in this. The power disadvantage of the Mk1 can be fixed with some simple porting work on the powervale slide making them comparably as powerful as a Mk2. All CRMs have soft suspension and this is particularly apparent on a Mk1. However the two 'CDIs' that work on the Mk1 seem to be more reliable than later versions and the Mk1 is also slightly shorter and more easily steered.

I would recommend a Mk2/3 CRM, possibly a Mk1. But condition is by far the overrinding factor. A tidy Mk1 will be a far better ride than a well used Mk3.

jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackdim » 02 Dec 2008, 23:31

Based upon information given, I'm more open minded as to what CRM to go for when the time comes to buy. I'll go for whatever MK (excluding AR) available at the best price:condition ratio, they all look to be competent and practical greenlane machines and thus fit for purpose for what I'd want one for.

Ta again for your time,
Jack

xander
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by xander » 09 Dec 2008, 09:32

Wow this is kinda weird!
Im from Midsomer Norton (just outside Bristol) and am also studying at UWE!
only day release for work but still there.
Wouldnt recommend taking a crm to UWE though (see stolen bike register for details!)
Mine can be seen (Covered in padlocks and chains!) in the bike park around the back of Q block on Wednesdays if you want a look at Crms to see whether u like em?
Evry1 else is rite on here, tis full of helpful ppl.

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 14 Dec 2008, 08:44

Hi Jack and welcome 8-) :) As has been said, go for either a model, but let condition be your priority.
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackdim » 18 Dec 2008, 19:30

Hi Xander,

Funny you say that as I was perving on your CRM outside Q block this wednesday morning, lovely looking things and I didn't realise how small they actually are. Had a good look over it and can say they're really nice looking bikes and use the R/C valve system which I'm familiar with after working on Honda Nsr125's before. Forgot to check whether they're injection fed 2t via an oil pump or are they pre-mix??

Would like to get one in SM trim as well if possible as that would most likely be cheaper than converting an enduro one myself, what are they like as SMs?

Once I get one (once the bikes are sold) we'll have to arrange a ride out Xander, there's a fair few lanes around South Bristol way according to the OS map and I'm sure there is a load around your way as well.

Ta again,
Jack

jackdim
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackdim » 18 Dec 2008, 19:51

Just read the review of the different Mk's on the main site and it's very helpful and will definately aid me in my decisions on which bike to go for. Also found the bike runs on oil pump as standard which is dead handy.

Ta again,
Jack

xander
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by xander » 19 Dec 2008, 08:11

Hi,
Glad to see you like my bike! I didn't get it covered in road salt for nothing.
As far as SM trim goes I cant really comment too much as I bought mine for greenlaning. Ive got an r6 for the road. Mine came with SM wheels though and I had a brief ride which wasnt too bad. It seemed to take road riding quite well although the forks were a bit soft for flat-out lunacy on my favourite ride (cheddar)!
If you get a half-tidy SM kit it only takes 20mins or so to swap.

definitely go for a ride when you've got yours though, Ive got about 5 mates with KMXs, DTs and a CRM 125 but they dont often go out sothe more the merrier!
Don't know about the lanes over Bristol way, Mostly I use the ones near Bath, Wellow and Peasdown but am looking at going onto Salisbury plain in the near future.

Xander