Hi from west mids

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 3
Hi from west mids

Post by longmoreuk » 02 Dec 2012, 21:32

Just got me a mk3, haven't really ridden it yet but it's a bit tall for me, I am a short arse. I have knocked up a couple of dogbones to adjust it but it's a bit sloppy on the rear when it's lowered, anyone had experience of attempting to lower on of these and can give me any pointers?

Bought the bike in the hope I will do a bit if green laning and maybe some endure events however at the moment I ride ride for toffee so need somewhere to go- any tips? I am nr Dudley.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: Hi from west mids

Post by jompy » 02 Dec 2012, 22:28

welcome longmoreuk
you'd be surprised you can get used to a tall bike once your feet are on the peg's , give it some time

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Dec 2012, 22:30

Have you played around with the shock preload and dropped the forks in the yokes before lengthening the dog bones :?: .

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 Dec 2012, 11:38

I didnt alter anything else, call me an animal but I went straight for the dogbones...........

so your saying - adjust the spring - ie reduce the tension on it. That will increase the static sag wont it, the side effect of which means a lower ride height? I might try that later tonight. only takes 5 mines to change the dogbones over

Its not so much the riding on the pegs i am worried about, its coming to a halt which is the issue.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Dec 2012, 11:49

If it's not a rude question - How tall are you :?:

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 Dec 2012, 12:47

5ft 7. but inside leg is only about 28inches - so when I come to a stop i have to hang off or fall off, as it is as i can only get my tip toes down at the standard height (i assume its standard height - should measure it really).

I may well be able to get used to it, but getting used to a lower crm will then mean if i put it back to standard isnt an issue - thats where I was coming from! I will try and get some pics on here one day. (of the bike, not my inside leg!)

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Dec 2012, 13:09

From what I remember you should be able to get both feet on the floor if you adjust the preload on the shock and drop the forks in the yokes without changing the dog bones. The issue with lengthening the dog bones is that you decrease the damping and springing rate so the back becomes even softer on what is an already soft bike.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 Dec 2012, 14:16

Ahh, ok - will try it.

Makes sense as when i have increased the dog bone length it is very noticably softer.

Just need to figure out how to get to the spring top adjuster as there doesnt seem much space in there!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Dec 2012, 17:53

:D Welcome, sorry to hear about your trouble with ground contact, some people swear by old school low tech solutions such as,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370435215907?hlp=false
:lol: :lol:
Knackereds right, you might also consider scalloping the seat slightly, but ultimately, lowering the plot can have detrimental effects in ruts, and keeping your feet on the pegs is less likely to cause an ankle injury.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 03 Dec 2012, 17:54

Sometimes owners crank up the preload to compensate for too many pies or they like the look of the back topped out when standing.

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 Dec 2012, 18:35

Kin hell, those boots look just the ticket.

Will adjust the preload and see if it sorts it better than the extended dogbones.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 03 Dec 2012, 19:55

"5ft 7. but inside leg is only about 28inches - so when I come to a stop i have to hang off or fall off"
sounds far too familiar !
"Sometimes owners crank up the preload to compensate for too many pies or they like the look of the back topped out when standing."
Ooop's guilty as charged , although i had stopped green laning at the time due lack of funds & was using the CRM as a comuter :oops:

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 03 Dec 2012, 20:02

how do you get to adjust the preload? i can see it, but i cant get to it! pleeaasssseee :BB

longmoreuk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by longmoreuk » 07 Dec 2012, 13:47

Well I couldnt adjust it - didnt want to start attacking it with a hammer and screwdriver so i left it alone.

I have put the old dogbones back on and tried riding around for a while on it to see how i get on, its not really that bad but a tad lower would be ideal.

Thanks for the pointers all.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Dec 2012, 14:11

Either attack with a hammer and driver (screwdriver if desparate) or take the subframe off and use a C-spanner.