Hello from Nottinghamshire

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: Hello from Nottinghamshire

Post by clint » 13 Dec 2012, 21:34

[quote="Mudfacetony"]Derbyshire CC are a bunch of C****** and it is their published wish to stop "off road riding" so you wont find much on their site.

Best bet is join the TRF. £40+ notes per year well worth spent. They will take you out but to lead yourself you need to learn fast and be able to read a map. The 1:50,000 landranger maps are what you need. The ORPA's (red dots) are highways and the routes with red crosses then a dot are byways. If you come across a route with a round sign with a red circl and a bike in the circle then you can't ride it.

If I go out in Derbyshire it is a Sat. Next time I have a bike down there and going out I will post a note on the rideouts section[/quote]

The TRF looks like exactly what I've been looking for, thanks alot for that I'll be joining them sharpish. My map reading skills are decent and I can learn quick. Failing that I'll save routes on my phone and cheat :) Endomondo is awesome for my mountain bike I imagine it'll work just as well on the motorbike

nicko
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3

Post by nicko » 24 Jan 2013, 12:51

ey-up, i used to live on cross lane huthwaite, now living in sutton.
I've only recently got my mk3 on the road, hopefully get it MoT'd at weekend, shame it wasn't legal to get out in the fresh snow last saturday, still i road my mountain bike like a loony instead :-)

'fraid i don't have any bright ideas of trails to ride. Bring back the dessert! (mansfield)

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by clint » 24 Jan 2013, 13:05

[quote="nicko"]ey-up, i used to live on cross lane huthwaite, now living in sutton.
I've only recently got my mk3 on the road, hopefully get it MoT'd at weekend, shame it wasn't legal to get out in the fresh snow last saturday, still i road my mountain bike like a loony instead :-)

'fraid i don't have any bright ideas of trails to ride. Bring back the dessert! (mansfield)[/quote]

I live near Sutton road myself so close to both. After I was told about the trf and how to find the lanes I got myself OS maps on my phone & laptop. Marked up suspect green lanes and went out on the bike. I have found heaven starting 10 miles from my door since. You'd be surprised they've been hiding from me all these years. I haven't bothered going down desert since as I don't see the point in paying & it ain't as much fun although I have still had the odd ride over the lines (can't resist too close).

Mudfacetonys advice has been excellent. The maps he mentions are available free. I have been using http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ & Orux maps on my phone for when I am out

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3

Post by fishtail » 24 Jan 2013, 13:36

frankly i'm well jealous of the lane opportunities the UK has got! its all hard core do or die here.. you cant actually go any where- jus crazy loops! keepin an eye out for cobra's vipers and other poisonous beasties!
might come back for a couple of weeks - altho I still havent convinced my bro to buy a bike for me yet :roll:
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

clint
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by clint » 24 Jan 2013, 15:22

[quote="fishtail"]frankly i'm well jealous of the lane opportunities the UK has got! its all hard core do or die here.. you cant actually go any where- jus crazy loops! keepin an eye out for cobra's vipers and other poisonous beasties!
might come back for a couple of weeks - altho I still havent convinced my bro to buy a bike for me yet :roll:[/quote]

I've seen that vid you posted on youtube and it looks pretty nice where you are although we do have good snow at the minute