Newbie in Northumberland

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
orangesplat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Newbie in Northumberland

Post by orangesplat » 12 Jan 2013, 18:00

Just got myself a 1993 CRM 250 and thought I'd say hello. After sorting out the brakes I took it green laning for the first time today, and I must say I'm impressed! Coming from 4 stroke motocross bikes I thought the CRM might be a handful in the mud, but it is so useable with plenty of low down grunt. Couple of issues I need to sort out, the clutch is a bit snatchy so I'm going to have a look at the plates. Also, the oil consumption seems high. Did about 30 miles and the sight glass for the 2 stroke oil went from full to empty. It's not smokey and it isn't fouling the plug so I'm guessing I could have a leak on the system. Anyway, I'll try and get these sorted ASAP so I can get back out to play in the mud.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Newbie in Northumberland

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Jan 2013, 18:13

Clutch problem may bo worn cable or grooves worn into the clutch basket.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 12 Jan 2013, 18:18

orangesplat wrote:Just got myself a 1993 CRM 250 and thought I'd say hello. After sorting out the brakes I took it green laning for the first time today, and I must say I'm impressed! Coming from 4 stroke motocross bikes I thought the CRM might be a handful in the mud, but it is so useable with plenty of low down grunt. Couple of issues I need to sort out, the clutch is a bit snatchy so I'm going to have a look at the plates. Also, the oil consumption seems high. Did about 30 miles and the sight glass for the 2 stroke oil went from full to empty. It's not smokey and it isn't fouling the plug so I'm guessing I could have a leak on the system. Anyway, I'll try and get these sorted ASAP so I can get back out to play in the mud.
Hello Orange, welcome aboard. OK, good choice of bike goes without saying.
Given the venerable age of the bike the clutch baskets aluminium " tines " will be severely notched, a read through F.A.Q. will yield some cheap short term cures, and some not so cheap long-term cures.
The sight glass on the side of the frame is a misnomer, and merely represents a tiny amount of the oil tanks content.
The clear tube shows you when you're nearing the top when filling the 2T tank, which actually holds about a LTR.
Fill the tank at least every third time you fill the petrol tank.
There is an inbuilt warning light that comes up on the dash board, :roll: but they don't always work.
Allow yours to run down,BUT NOT OUT to check if the lights working. Carry a small bottle of 2T in your backpack.
2 tank full's of used petrol should bring the level down enough to activate the light,if it does not proceed very carefully from there on :!: .
Some people replace the black pipe from the pump with clear pipe, so as to see that the oil is still being pumped through the manifold.
It may also be the pump needs adjusting, but a lack of smoke would indicate that this is unlikely.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

orangesplat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by orangesplat » 12 Jan 2013, 19:13

Thanks for the quick replies. The sight glass is clear so I'm guessing the previous owner must have changed it from the black one. I'll try running it down to check the indicator light and see when it comes on. As for the clutch, the lever movement is nice and smooth, it just seems like the clutch is a but of an on/off switch. I'll try and take a look at the plates and basket during the week to see what's what. Cheers for the advice, it's much appreciated.

orangesplat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by orangesplat » 12 Jan 2013, 19:19

Just re-read your post Mike, the black pipe between the tank and pump, not the sight glass. Sorry, my mistake. I'll have a good look around the system to be sure there are no leaks.

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3

Post by Mudfacetony » 13 Jan 2013, 19:46

orangesplat wrote:Just got myself a 1993 CRM 250 and thought I'd say hello. After sorting out the brakes I took it green laning for the first time today, and I must say I'm impressed! Coming from 4 stroke motocross bikes I thought the CRM might be a handful in the mud, but it is so useable with plenty of low down grunt. Couple of issues I need to sort out, the clutch is a bit snatchy so I'm going to have a look at the plates. Also, the oil consumption seems high. Did about 30 miles and the sight glass for the 2 stroke oil went from full to empty. It's not smokey and it isn't fouling the plug so I'm guessing I could have a leak on the system. Anyway, I'll try and get these sorted ASAP so I can get back out to play in the mud.
Glad there is another CRM'er up this neck of the woods.
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 13 Jan 2013, 23:26

welcome :)

dazzar250
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions: