Hello from oxfordshire

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Hello from oxfordshire

Post by biofotis » 05 Aug 2013, 13:57

Hello
I am an old member here watching the forum for long time and some days ago I bought my self a crm250ar project for fun.
I was in between this and a yamaha wr200. (both need work)
I bought it for 400GBP but as I said it needs some work.

First it needs a crank rebuild since the big end is dead...After some research I found that you dont have many options here as honda sells the whole crank...But mine has a wiseco rod but I cant find it anywhere online.

and secondly, the previous owner put steel liner in the cylinder and now I need to rebore it and install a new piston. However finding a suitable piston is hard!

Also its missing the headlight and chain cover.

At least forks are straight with no damage, it has the license plate holder with tail lights, no rust in tank very good speedometer etc.

So the question, does it worth fixing it? or sell the parts individually and buy something else like the wr200? I wasnt aware that it was that hard to find parts for this bike! ebay is empty!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Hello from oxfordshire

Post by fallenmikethebike » 05 Aug 2013, 18:03

As Spock might have said, " the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the one", or something like that, break it. ;)
As a direct comparison the WR and a CRM do not equate, the first being a competitive Enduro bike, the latter being an awesome Trail bike, horses for courses.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Aug 2013, 20:42

If your bike has a Wiseco conrod and an iron sleeve someone has done some extensive work on the engine and I don't know where you would look for replacement parts. FMtB is correct with his advice but you are going to have some difficulty with the engine and electrics proving nothing else has been altered.

If you can give some links to photos of the bike and the items under discussion this might help?

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 10:42

I would like to keep it for a while and see if I can source the parts needed. However, I cannot find anything! Where do you people look for second hand parts? ebay has nothing

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Aug 2013, 11:58

If you can list what you need then there are some on here that have parts. eBay is a good source but AR bits are rarer.

You engine (If it is an AR) has had some heavy work done so unless you can accurately measure things like the conrod then you are going to have trouble finding them. With the conrod and iron barrel I suspect you have a different piston from the usual (CRM/TRX 87-89) as well. And you may find your cylinder is not the original height.

Photos of the bike and engine parts would help confirm even if it were an AR. We regularly get mislead by owners who claim their bike is an X when it turns out to be a Y.

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 18:39

I have taken apart the engine today and its definitely an AR model.

Here is the bike when I got it
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/918/8wk8.jpg

The piston (wiseco)
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/2060/niq6.jpg

The cylinder
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/7550/23pq.jpg

The reed block. It looks like someone have played with it a bit
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/8875/xv1s.jpg

and finally the conrod. Its a wiseco one.
http://imageshack.us/a/img710/2328/fw6n.jpg
This rod is quite famous in Greece but they say the big end bearing doesnt last for long. I dont know why though...Any other alternatives for a conrod?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Aug 2013, 18:58

You have a Mk3 not an AR.

There is no Wiseco conrod that fits directly on a CRM. I suspect (looks like) that the piston has a higher crown than the standard piston.

I suspect that you have a slightly shorter than standard conrod and a slightly taller than standard piston and the barrel has been skimmed to bring the piston up to the correct port height.

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 20:57

conrod is 13cm center to center
the cylinder is 10.9cm high
piston is 7.45 high, 66mm width with domed crone. Small end center to piston end is 3.4cm

What do you mean by mk3? Everything says AR on them! It has the solenoids, the strange carb, the multiple pickups etc

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 21:01

i meant crown...

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Aug 2013, 21:09

I can't see the PV cover from the photo of the whole bike and the cylinder looks like a Mk3 from the inside. If it has solenoids then AR.

Original conrod (centre to centre) - 132.5mm
Total piston length (crown to skirt) - ~80mm
Centre of small end to top of crown vertically ~32.5mm
Piston width can be anything from 66.0mm - 68.25mm. Original AR was 66.4mm and 'Nicosil' type lined. Others were iron sleeved.

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 21:46

yeah its the big valve type with AR on the cover.
I took some more measurements today, center to center measured at 132.6mm so I guess this makes it 132.5mm
small end width 17mm
small end diameter 22mm
big end width 17mm (plus 1mm each washer)
I cannot measure the diameter of the big end is its currently on the crank and I need to press it out. the pin however is 25mm.

Now for the piston
pin diameter is 18mm
piston bore 66mm
if i put the piston upside down it measures 80mm from the center of the crown until the end of the skirt

I spoke with a Greek engineer down there and they said its a common practice to install a wiseco conrod but it doesnt last as the original crank.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Aug 2013, 22:02

Ok from those measurments it looks like standard sizes but with an iron liner rather than the chromed one. I would like to know what bike the Wiseco conrod comes from as I, and others, haven't managed to find out. Would be of considerable benefit to the forum to know.

As the iron bore is reborable pistons should be easy to find.

What parts are you actually looking for?

biofotis
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by biofotis » 06 Aug 2013, 22:41

yeah I saw that LT is rebuilding the cranks but you dont know what conrods they are using and they dont tell as well.
I always distribute information regarding two strokes and I am happy to share this as well!
I also found how to change the power valve timings on yamahas (YPVS) and posted it on the forums.

The rod has printed a part number: WR10019
I dont know how to search their catalog though...

regarding the parts, I need the rear chain guide (the white one), headlight (i know its rare but maybe an aftermarket that looks like it?), sprocket cover and oil tank(mine has one lug broken)
obviously a crank would be nice but considering how rare they are I think it would be better to rebuild mine with a wiseco rod again. I have the knowledge how to do it myself and balance it properly but here in UK i dont have a press. I successfully rebuilt 2 rgv250 cranks and balanced them within specs.