Old Newbie from South Africa

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
SACRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 3xmk2 2xAR
Old Newbie from South Africa

Post by SACRM » 10 Feb 2014, 14:17

Hi Guys,

The name's Julien, and I live just south of Johannesburg down in Sunny South Africa. I belonged to the forum close on ten years ago, but lost touch. I have a MK1, MK2 and MK2-2. My bikes have been standing for the best part of the last eight years... got married and had kids... but have just embarked on full restorations of the MK1 and MK2-2.

I am essentially converting the MK1 to a MK2 with respect to styling suspension, installing MK2 USD forks sourced off Rinkya, and a new set MK2 styled plastics and graphics, motor is still standard MK1. I'm keeping the MK2-2 dead standard. Both these bikes are full ground up bolt and nut restorations, with most of the replacement parts coming from Rinkya... costing me an arm and leg!!!

I've just stripped both bikes down to the bare frames and busy prepping them for Sandblasting/Powder Coating. Going for a metallic silver, very similar to the current XR600 frame colour. This will be the only non-standard thing on the Mk2-2.

I'll keep you all posted as I go along... providing a few kiekies as well.

regards,
Jules

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Old Newbie from South Africa

Post by fallenmikethebike » 10 Feb 2014, 19:03

Hi Jules, and welcome. If the current trend in prices here in the UK for pre-loved CRM's is similar in S.A. that might prove financially viable.
Good luck.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!