If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
DavieC
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2

Post by DavieC » 28 Oct 2014, 19:46

Hi all
It's been inlightning look through your forum - excellent stuff.
I have recently purchased a CRM250 Mk 2 with high hopes of restoring, most of the bike is in tack, apart from a jumble of wires, that have been completely butchered. I decided before any restore I would get the bike fire up.

I really hope you can help on this or at least throw some light on it.

The PGM, REC, CONDENSER, COIL are all there and a strike of luck the plug for the cdi was there also with 14 wires showing asuming these components are all correct I have a part of the loom - the only plug was the one with 3 yellows which I have plugged into the generator.

So from I decided to check out the diagram's and after trolling the web, came up with a few, but concentrated on the Mk2/Mk3 diagram - and started to try and work it out after a few hours of head scratching.
Not sure whats wrong - but the diagram's cdi wiring order - does not seem to relate to the cdi plug that I have - I have attached a couple of images

maybe this is norm, but seemed a bit strange - especially if you need to start building a loom from scratch.

After wiring things up - what a surprise no spark - check reg and volts enough to light a test lamp. so seemed ok on that side of things.
I have not connected the wires that seem to be the servo wires - I assume these are not needed to get a fire up.

The green white strip I think is the stand wire - I did put this to ground, but then felt maybe it's ground that kills the spark, so tried both connected and totally disconnected. not sure on this one!!

The black/white I take as the ignition and kill switch - I connected them to the red side from reg and condenser to bypass.

I took it that the blue/yellow and white gold dots to stator ' trigger coils.

The loom has 3 greens all the same bit confusing - one to the stator - one to coil and the other to ground. but in what order not sure! very puzzled.

The diagram shows that the Black and Yellow strip wire also go to coil - strange thing is that wire shows common with ground (earth) just seems to be a bit odd - would that point to a faulty cdi box? or is it not the power wire?

Or is it that the wiring plug and PGM(CDI) are not compatable?

I hope I have not posted this in the wrong place, would not like to get my wrist slapped this soon :)

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992
Re: New Member

Post by pudzie83 » 29 Oct 2014, 19:03

welcome and good luck theres diagrams on this site somewhere but one thing you could be missing is some things called diobes (think i spelled it right) if these are missing then you will not get any spark, my advice is to source a second hand mk2 loom they go cheap compared to the hassle that could be involved
VIVA LA CRM!

DavieC
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by DavieC » 29 Oct 2014, 23:04

Cheers pudzie glad you answered I was getting a bit cold :)
Yes it's a nightmare, got the bike at a good price, I rekon the guy I bought off, got really pissed with the electrics, and attacked the wires with garden shears, they are a right mess :)

diodes - that's interesting - obviously in the loom. That's going to make things tricky, thats for sure!!

Second hand loom does seem the way to go - any ideas, where I could get one?

The cdi wiring configuration I have, would you say that is pritty normal with other mk2's?
Maybe the diagram's are only schematic - not really givening order. Idealy need a nod to say what cdi I have is ok!

Thanks again buddy

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 30 Oct 2014, 19:22

from what i can tell it looks like a mk2 one in the photos, i made the mistake a long time ago chopping the diobes off when rearranging my loom and it caused a massive headache for weeks they are located in the speedo part of the loom as far as i know

id check ebay or a jap auction site called rinkya and a post in forsale/wanted section could help as other members break crms

its also worth checking the FAQ section on here as well, you might be there for a while :D
VIVA LA CRM!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 30 Oct 2014, 21:50

The diodes are in the headlight section of the loom not in the main part. I have a Mk2 loom - I'll have a look in the loft ................

Edit - This is it. Came from a running bike. Looks all there but has two broken wires. Green/red and yellow/black or dark green (can't tell in this light). Can be seen towards the top of the photo sticking out at ~2 o'clock. It has had the side stand removal mod done.(Click on the photo to enlarge). Do you want it?

DavieC
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by DavieC » 02 Nov 2014, 11:59

Yes that would be very helpfull - what do you want for it?

DavieC
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by DavieC » 02 Dec 2014, 21:44

Glad I was not stranded on the side of the road, waiting for a lift :) :)

But got there adventurely - pudzie - it was a diode, but in the CDI box. But could see how easily the relays in the headlight unit could give starting issues.

I rebuilt the wiring loom as previously decided, thanks for the jesture Knakered, but I already had a chopped loom - and really wanted a full untampered loom. Bit of work, but that's restoring.
As I mentioned in my post the diagrams are a bit vague - so decided to take some time, using photoshop and created a couple of others that I found easy to follow, without all the jap junk food, noodles and colours.

On close inspection of the components I soon anylised that I had a CDI fault - also a bit of modification with the stator coils was required to get a good response.
Just for the record - diodes are normally the first to go - this one in question was protecting the SCR from burn out. The SCR IS not to expensive but this component could give the wrong signals to various other components and burn them also.
After stripping the CDI, and getting to the business end with the meters, it did not take long to locate the culprit - a diode of all of 19p. Which certainly did not break the bank. £200.00 bucks for a new CDI is absolute daylight robbery, as the components would not even scratch the surface.

Total electrics and ignotion fix, excluding the bus ride home :) :) was just about £16.00 - so thanks for all your help on this one, now will continue with the dismantle and rebuild.