New to the forum.

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
Mugzee
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
New to the forum.

Post by Mugzee » 02 Jul 2015, 18:35

Hi all,

I'm newly registered, however the website and forum have always been a great source of info. I've been toying with the idea of getting a CRM for years now. I've finally made the decision to buy one and so I thought it would be a good time to register and to be part of the forum.
I have always had a soft spot for the 2 stroke engine and have had 2T bikes on the road since I was 16. My last bike was a CR 500 AF SM which I loved but certainly wasn't an everyday bike! Since then I've wanted something a lot more useable and I can't think of another bike more suitable than a CRM. I've decide that I'd like a MK3, however I haven't decided whether it should be a standard MK3 or an AR. Engine-wise, what are the pro's and con's of both? I'm leaning towards a late MK3 for simplicity as I assume the electrics on an AR are a little more complex and therfor a potentially larger source of issues? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: New to the forum.

Post by gregorious77 » 02 Jul 2015, 22:05

The AR is a love hate thing.
I buy bikes on condition and service history personally you could get a money pit Mk3 or AR

Mugzee
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Mugzee » 02 Jul 2015, 22:41

I totally agree with buying on condition and history. With that in mind, what benefit does the AR have over a MK3 and vice versa?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Jul 2015, 22:51

They are basically the same apart from the engine. The AR has an advanced 2 stroke engine that in original condition makes less pollution than a conventional 2 stroke. Complicated to keep running perfectly, fragile electronics and expensive to repair.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 02 Jul 2015, 23:08

Agreed and I own an AR.
If you like getting stuck in, problem solving and finding rocking horse poo go for the AR if not go for a Mk3.

Mugzee
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Mugzee » 03 Jul 2015, 07:58

That confirms my thoughts about the AR then! Great idea when new but like any other emission control technology, can become problematic as the engine ages and wears.
On paper, power and torque are the same but are there any genuine performance differences between the two like people suggest?

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by rich1960 » 03 Jul 2015, 08:42

My riding buddy has a MK3 I have an AR, both have had meticulous 100% 'nut and bolt' refurbs. There is little or no difference in performance on the road or on the trail that we can see, we are both experienced off road riders and there's no noticeable difference in performance. The only significant difference that we have found is two stroke oil, my AR uses less than half of the MK3, and the AR is a little bit more economical on petrol, but not by much.

Obviously an AR will be newer than any MK3 you can find, but as already stated buy on condition and use - 'you pays your money and you takes your chance'

Those are my thoughts any way.

Richard

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 03 Jul 2015, 11:20

Yes my AR uses very little 2T oil and is good on fuel (10 miles per ltr).

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Jul 2015, 17:51

knackeredMk1 wrote:They are basically the same apart from the engine. The AR has an advanced 2 stroke engine that in original condition makes less pollution than a conventional 2 stroke. Complicated to keep running perfectly, fragile electronics and expensive to repair.
Almost correct, but for the small grammatical error, it should have read, {----- running, perfectly fragile electronics-----} ;) ;) :lol: .
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!