Hi from Scotland

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
ss50scott
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Hi from Scotland

Post by ss50scott » 24 Oct 2015, 22:25

Newbie here from Scotland, recently purchased a nice MK1 so thought I'd join up and say hello. Been wanting to do some off roading for a while, nothing serious just mucking about up lanes/tracks etc. Was really after a 70s DT or TS but the CRM came up locally so I went for it. To be honest its a bit modern for me lol, more used to 70s bikes and earlier (also got a few Brits). Big stroker fan though 8-)

Heres a couple pics of the bike. I am going to change the tyres over winter as they may be good off road but are absolutely terrible on the road, especially in the wet - its like riding on ice!

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Hi from Scotland

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Oct 2015, 10:38

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum.
Have you tried reducing the pressure in the rear tyre? 14 psi should be fine for road and trail work.
Alternatively, try a pirrelli MT43, Trials tyre, these work well in rocky/ stony conditions, and with practice will also find drive in muddy conditions. They wear down quite quickly initially, then last for ever. I would suggest putting one at this time of year to see you through the winter/spring, then replace at this time again next year.The added bonus is they are also a lot easier to fit.
The MK1 looks tidy,and that model doesn't suffer as much with PGM issues.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

ss50scott
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ss50scott » 25 Oct 2015, 17:19

fallenmikethebike wrote:el doesn't suffer as much with PGM issues.
Mike
PGM?

Thanks for the tyre recommendation. Do you know I checked the tyre pressures when I got home after buying the bike as it handled like shite and thought the low pressures were maybe to blame, they were around 10psi I think. Upped them to 26 front 28 rear. might try dropping them again then. I am probably not going to use the bike much over the winter, today is the first day of road salt up here so most of my bikes are now tucked away for winter except for the CRM and SB200.

I was actually thinking about these tyres. Anyone had any experience with these? I like the look of the tread pattern tbh. I'm more looking for trail tyres that handle decent on the road and don't wear out too quickly than ones that perform off road. I will be doing more miles on road than off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281750938623? ... EBIDX%3AIT

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Oct 2015, 20:29

They look a bit on the skinny side, being mainly for 125cc bikes, a 120/80 would be better.
The PGM , is the bikes brain, in the MK1 it's a two component make up. Later models have it combined into a single block.
This can give rise to longevity problems, especially if the P.V. cables aren't kept lubricated, and more so afflicts the AR.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 07 Nov 2015, 16:43

You won't be disappointed with the CRM ;)
My first bike , i'll get round to rebuilding it one day !

ss50scott
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ss50scott » 07 Nov 2015, 18:43

jompy wrote:You won't be disappointed with the CRM ;)
My first bike , i'll get round to rebuilding it one day !

very nice, 1974/75 DT250? I am still on the lookout for something like that. prefer that over the CRM. I've a few 70s bikes myself. used to have a twinshock DT175 - wish I hadn't sold it.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 07 Nov 2015, 19:12

yeah i loved the DT , a tad under powered but knew that before i bought it , used to run it on the road with avon gripsters & by-eck it was good on the corners lol
it's a 1974 DT250b imported from the states