Not a Newbie

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Not a Newbie

Post by jompy » 30 Oct 2015, 19:32

Hiya people
I'm not a newbie i actually joined in 2012 with idea's of bringing my MK2 back to life but . . . . . . money . . . . time . . . . new partner (now wife) have all conspired against me so i've not been on much over the last few years !
I'm not new to forums and on the bike forum i frequent it's customary to give a bit about yourself & your biking history so . . . . . . i'll wake you when i've finished waffling :lol:
Had cars since i was 18 , my mum always said no bikes while i was living at hers so when i moved out at 24 into my first house my mates RD350ypvs moved in with me .
I bought my first bike ready for passing my test & luckily it was under 33bhp because i fluffed my test a couple of times and ended up having to do the 33bhp limited test .
My first bike was a US imported 1974 DT250b
this is an example of what it looked like
with Avon gripsters on it went round corners very well ;)
I was introduced to Greenlaning and was hooked , the only bike i had was the DT but the 2 stroke oil pipe disconnected it's self and i had to decide whether to rebuild it again ! ( never use chinese rings :lol: . . . . long story ) or to stump out for something a lot more capable . I'd read a fair few TBM's and fell in love with the CRM , i had a budget (story of my life !) and i've always love USD forks so a MK2 it was & i loved it !
I managed a couple or so outings greenlaning but it ended up doing more commuting between rebuilds ( they're not made to do 90mph everywhere especially when geared down :oops: )
One of only a couple of digital pic's i have of the CRM & it had been sitting for a number of years with gearbox problems and no cash due to a crazy first wife & family .
After a few years & a divorce :lol: my uncle offered me his bike , it wasn't the exact model i wanted but it was a supermoto and at the right price having only 500 miles on the clock , formerly owned by Ady Smith of enduro fame ( as it was a bitza from the KTM factory )
I learned to wheelie on this bike unfortunately no one told me that KTM hadn't designed this bike to be ridden at a higher angle than 15 degrees for more than a few feet . . . . . . . . BANG ! ( i feel a pattern emerging :cry: )
Before the KTM mains burnt out and before i had to give up a kidney having it rebuilt a mate had his bike up for sale & i fell in love with it !
Luckily for me he didn't sell it to the next year 2009, people told me it was like the KTM on steroids . . . . they weren't wrong , the 98 R1 had an awesome reputation & i bought it but with out the plastic c**p.

The wife when i met her had been riding and owned a bike since she was 16 & been working in the bike trade since she was 21 , this is her Hypermotard

Right you can all wake up now :lol:

CRMpurple
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 1999 CRM250AR
Re: Not a Newbie

Post by CRMpurple » 29 Mar 2016, 02:01

A lovely tale of woe and angst jompy :lol: Learnings though life experiences :D . No tales of being thrown down the road so you're still a winner 8-)

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 01 Apr 2016, 17:24

CRMpurple wrote:A lovely tale of woe and angst jompy :lol: Learnings though life experiences :D . No tales of being thrown down the road so you're still a winner 8-)
ohhh i've been down the road a few times , aided & un-aided PMSL
worst was i got knocked off my KTM and ended up with a 5 day & 16 day stay in hospital with 4 months off work and a nice scar . . . i have the pics of the different stages of the scar if you want to see them :lol:

Bandito
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Bandito » 10 Apr 2016, 17:02

What's a 4 stroke supermotard like the ktm like to live with? Been tempted myself a few times

Like that hypermotard bet that's fun

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 10 Apr 2016, 19:41

Steer clear of the early Lc4 engines as they were a bit fragile , remember a big single cylinder 4 stroke like the 625cc lc4's have a lot of engine braking which I felt didn't help with slow speed corners , if I had a choice I'd go for the hypermotard any day of the week it's a for better bike by miles , the smaller 796 hypermotard has a slipper clutch as standard and is not far off the 1100's power .

CRMpurple
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 1999 CRM250AR

Post by CRMpurple » 25 Apr 2016, 03:04

jompy wrote:
CRMpurple wrote: i have the pics of the different stages of the scar if you want to see them :lol:
Gee thanks mate but only chicks dig scars..... 8-)

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 25 Apr 2016, 21:47

CRMpurple wrote:
jompy wrote:
CRMpurple wrote: i have the pics of the different stages of the scar if you want to see them :lol:
Gee thanks mate but only chicks dig scars..... 8-)
:lol: