New member from Yorkshire

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
Bandito
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
New member from Yorkshire

Post by Bandito » 21 Dec 2015, 19:07

Hi every one been on the look out for a crm for a while, thought I'd join up. I used to have a wr450 briefly and enjoyed going off road but always had a soft spot for the crm.

Had a few Road bikes sold a 954 fireblade earlier in year, but fancy trying green laning again.

Let me know if anyone's selling a mk2, 3 or ar

Matt

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: New member from Yorkshire

Post by jompy » 21 Dec 2015, 20:55

Welcome in Matt
Good luck with your search but also have a good read here so you can find some of the problems like the swing arm bolt seizing , the beauty of the CRM is it's low down grunt for a 2 stroke & the way it delivers tractable power .

Bandito
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Bandito » 21 Dec 2015, 21:01

Cheers jompy I'll look into that thanks.

It make the swing arm hard to move?

Engine wise are they reliable enough for short Commute?

Only experience I've had of two stroke is my old yb 100 so abit different

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 22 Dec 2015, 10:06

The swing arm bolt also holds the engine in the frame , the bearings seize due to lack of grease & they can be near impossible to move in worse cases .

People have done 12 - 14000kms before having to rebore them , they can be very reliable depending on how you look after them , use a good 2 stroke oil & change the gearbox oil regularly as the balancer shaft bearing is getting expensive .

I tend to use Leisure Trail as they are supposedly the biggest CRM parts suppliers ( I think they were the single company to import the most CRM's ) and are just down the road , I try to deal with Tom from the parts dept as he knows his stuff . Don't be surprised if other people are a bit short on the phone when asking for information on stuff like rebores as they do a rebore & rebuild service and like to keep the info to themselves an they're from the longeaton area & can't help the attitude lol .
The CRM is one of a kind with the fuel air mix entering the engine through the crank cases rather than the normal route of the barrel , this gives the CRM more of a small 4 stroke bottom end giving more traction in the dirt . Although the CRM has a reasonable top end it's a trail bike not a full on enduro or my bike .
I commuted the 7 miles to work on mine about 12 or so years ago and boy was it fun :)

Bandito
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Bandito » 22 Dec 2015, 10:47

Cheers for the info it all helps

I've seen a nice crm I like however it will only run with fuel down the bore not normal way, it's apparently had a top end rebuild and he says wants carbs doing and new fuel bt I'm not sure

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 22 Dec 2015, 18:05

could be a few things , it might be pulling in air !
what you need is someone like knackard , fallen or one of the other knowledgeable guys to pop on & help you .
unfortunately although i can find my way around a fair few problems i'm not that knowledgeable :lol:
Bare with this place although it can be slow theres loads of info you can be looking up while your waiting , this place is like a gold mine & the lads know so much helpfull stuff ;)

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 22 Dec 2015, 19:03

Bandito wrote:Cheers for the info it all helps

I've seen a nice crm I like however it will only run with fuel down the bore not normal way, it's apparently had a top end rebuild and he says wants carbs doing and new fuel bt I'm not sure
Depends on the cost as well.
I would ask to remove the exhaust and have a peep up the exhaust port , look for any wear or scoring.
Ask if the exhaust port was worked on to match the power valve to the new rebore, very important that point.
Check the compression, with a tester if possible.
Have a good look round the bike and owner,do they seem genuine, you might be lucky and get a bargain :) , or a pig in a poke :cry: .
The only real way to ascertain if the jets are blocked is to invert the carb, and clean them out, but if you fix the bike, it might well escalate in price.
Buy only with an open mind to money having to be spent.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

rich1960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rich1960 » 22 Dec 2015, 20:45

Whilst I haven't got a CRM anymore due to a knackered hip and now needing a lecky start, I've had a mk2 for a few years and then an AR, I also have a close family member who has restored 5 or 6 and knows mk3s inside out.

If you're in Yorkshire and not too far from me (Bradford) I'd be happy to have a look at anything fairly local to me and give you my opinion for what it's worth. I can probably get my brother in law to take a look too.

Rich.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Dec 2015, 18:43

rich1960 wrote:Whilst I haven't got a CRM anymore due to a knackered hip and now needing a lecky start, I've had a mk2 for a few years and then an AR, I also have a close family member who has restored 5 or 6 and knows mk3s inside out.

If you're in Yorkshire and not too far from me (Bradford) I'd be happy to have a look at anything fairly local to me and give you my opinion for what it's worth. I can probably get my brother in law to take a look too.

Rich.
Well there's a seasonal offering not to be missed, it might save you from buying a money pit.
The value some owners attribute to 20 year old trail bikes constantly amazes me.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Bandito
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Bandito » 11 Jan 2016, 17:55

rich1960 wrote:Whilst I haven't got a CRM anymore due to a knackered hip and now needing a lecky start, I've had a mk2 for a few years and then an AR, I also have a close family member who has restored 5 or 6 and knows mk3s inside out.

Rich.
thanks for this offer rich I've only just seen this

I'm going to look at one tomorrow night, I'll message you the link to it see what you think

cheers :BB