saying hello!

If a new member, introduce yourselves here, maybe even a pic of your bike.
WALSHY
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
saying hello!

Post by WALSHY » 28 Dec 2015, 18:14

a big christmas hello to one and all from me, I'm very pleased to be on the forum and i can't wait to buy and enjoy my new crm. I've been riding bikes for many a year now as I'm 47, I've a garage full of race reps and have now decided i don't get enough real exercise, so I've bought a xr 400 but as most of you know that xrs can be temperamental bas*ards as my helmet knows only to well being that its been kicked clean across my garage twice!.
anyway I've come to the conclusion that going back to a stroker is the way ahead and it'll save me buying a new lid so here i am trying my hardest to find one and hoping to get lots of info/ ideas on this site.
cheers and all the best
ed.
ps if anyone can help me to find a good mk 2/3 i will be very greatfull.
cheers again . :D

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: saying hello!

Post by jompy » 29 Dec 2015, 17:34

Welcome in bud
Merry Christmas , hope you find a good CRM , they're a great bike but a lot of them have had a hard life . Have a damn good read around here , some of the parts can be a pain in the arse to get & the swing arm bolt can be a nightmare .
There's tons of brilliant info on this forum but as you've seen it can be a tad quiet .

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 29 Dec 2015, 17:43

Welcome. I wonder how many other CRM riders look at , or actually buy the XR?
I nearly purchased an electric booted one a few years back, I quite often regret not buying it, just to have it in the garage as a choice would have been nice.
In Brazil they make the Falcon 400, which is intrinsically the XR400, but the plastics are really brittle.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

WALSHY
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by WALSHY » 29 Dec 2015, 21:17

thankyou for the warm welcome, I'm definitely gonna try and digest as much info as poss. over the next few weeks prior
to buying the crm, last thing i want is to spunk a load of wedge on a basket case!!,talking of which I've managed to fit a mukuni pumper carb onto the old xr and now the valves are sorted and the plug changed the old girl has chugged its way back to life!!!Happy days!!!.
im gonna take a gander at the falcon 400 as I've not heard of it before, i wonder if they have a leech start!.

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 02 Jan 2016, 00:34

Glad you have the XR up & running :)

Mike i've often thought of an XR and would have loved one but then i believe the CRM is meant to be a fair bit easier to man handle

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 02 Jan 2016, 18:09

jompy wrote:Glad you have the XR up & running :)

Mike i've often thought of an XR and would have loved one but then i believe the CRM is meant to be a fair bit easier to man handle
On the scales, the XR actually comes in slightly lighter, but of course being a 4 banger the weight is held higher up.
Mike

WALSHY
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by WALSHY » 03 Jan 2016, 17:53

well i bought a ar!! what great expectations i had of this bike!, i got her out on friday along with my xr 400 which has been freshly fitted with a mukuni pumper,the crm was a little gem to start although i noticed petrol was pissing out of the overflow on the rhs, of the carb (when sat on the bike), undeterred i started the bike up and the petrol stopped gushing so i thought sod it i will give it a blast and see if the vibrations free things up a bit.
i gotta say that the crms light handling and power delivery was impressive although i did notice the bike needed a good handful of throttle to get the best out of it. i put this down now to faulty carb settings and poor servicing.
i took the bike to tintern to tackle a serious off road climb and the bike was a piece of crap as she just kept chucking out petrol and cutting out on me. the annoying thing was that i had stayed up late servicing the bike and resetting the tab on the float bowl.i also set the mixture screw to the factory settings ......wish i would have left it alone now!! i tried many variations including turning the petrol tap off a bit to slow the flow to the bowl , setting the mixture screw right in then taking it to 2 1/4 out from 1 3/4, then all the way out and then with the choke on/off.
NOPE! not playing ball!!.
in conclusion my xr is now a evil beast and starts runs like a dream and i have fallen in love with it all over again and the crm has won the new title of "I'm a troublesome wa*ker" bike,!
has anyone out there in crm land got any ideas of what could be wrong with the old girl.
i will have the carb off, strip it and get it ultrasounded this week.
its weird cos the bike runs and cuts out like fuel starvation when about 3/4 throttle yet the bowls overflow is pissing out fuel?? :(

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Jan 2016, 18:03

Needle jet sounds fubbared.
Check also condition of the needle, though their not adjustable on the AR.
Give the bike a general service.
Plug, filter, clean out carb, check HT lead and cap, is the powervalve turning?
Mike

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 03 Jan 2016, 20:21

Sorry to hear that bud , wish you all the best & hope you get it sorted

WALSHY
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by WALSHY » 04 Jan 2016, 21:07

just bought a refurb kit ,gonna go right through the old girl and get her dancing again! :D

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by jompy » 06 Jan 2016, 20:08

mate it will be worth it ;)